U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,264,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
To convey some context:

Almost everyday 135,000 cars pass over that portion of 635 in each direction - that's 270,000 cars total. Most of them during the day.

Shutting down a lane for any daylight hour delays thousands and thousands of people.

Luckily, I'm guessing this guy blocked a lane for far less than an hour - the back-up was bad and unnecessary but it was not huge.
I still disagree. I don't agree with policing people around more than you already have to. A basic regulation of society is ok, cross that threshold and it's not ok to me.

Yes, the guy was in the wrong. He should've gassed up, he should've pulled all the way to the shoulder. In fact, I'll go as far as the guy's probably an idiot to put himself in that position.

But to start fining people to prevent this occurrence? No way. People can figure out they're idiots on their own. We don't need Big Brother watching over us every step of the way.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,264,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
From a public health and per capita perspectives overweight people impose more healthcare costs, lost work time etc. than the non overweight. Ergo they should pay more to cover these societal costs. The private insurance markets are moving this way quickly. I say that as someone starting a diet today!
And what's next? We start fining people because they're white or black or asian? Are we going by statistical lifespans now? Those who are statistically inclined to die earlier will use up resources quicker and thus should be fined as well?

Because one race lives longer than another - we should give them a tax credit?

What's next? Males should be fined for having shorter lifespans and likely to use more healthcare resources?

Listen - I agree, obesity does have a large impact on society - but I still don't agree in more government control over this issue.

More government control and we lose our individuality. You can't have both.

Before you know it, we'll be living in a world akin to Gattaca.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 AM

8,252 posts, read 9,004,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I still disagree. I don't agree with policing people around more than you already have to. A basic regulation of society is ok, cross that threshold and it's not ok to me.

Yes, the guy was in the wrong. He should've gassed up, he should've pulled all the way to the shoulder. In fact, I'll go as far as the guy's probably an idiot to put himself in that position.

But to start fining people to prevent this occurrence? No way. People can figure out they're idiots on their own. We don't need Big Brother watching over us every step of the way.
I wish it were so, but laissez-faire logic fails in large cramped societies.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 AM

8,252 posts, read 9,004,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
And what's next? We start fining people because they're white or black or asian? Are we going by statistical lifespans now? Those who are statistically inclined to die earlier will use up resources quicker and thus should be fined as well?

Because one race lives longer than another - we should give them a tax credit?

What's next? Males should be fined for having shorter lifespans and likely to use more healthcare resources?

Listen - I agree, obesity does have a large impact on society - but I still don't agree in more government control over this issue.

More government control and we lose our individuality. You can't have both.

Before you know it, we'll be living in a world akin to Gattaca.
Vis a vis overweight and societal costs - I'm talking about private insurance costs going up for that cadre not government regulations. At least not directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or