Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 PM

263 posts, read 565,313 times

Advertisements

We live in a home built in the mid 1990s zoned to Plano West schools. We have done some updates to our house (kitchen and pool) and are trying to prioritize our next projects. We don't have any current plans to sell our home but that may change in the next few years. What are the current expectations of homes in this area? What would help/hurt home value the most.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
personally what I would expect to find in any house that would be 300K or more would be

no wallpaper--even updated wallpaper is usually not desired in areas like dining rooms or entry ways

updated kitchen with solid-surface counters, upgraded appliances, and new flooring--even an older tile floor that is 12x12 tiles vs the larger format 18x18 or more is a dated floor...many new homes are using wood flooring in kitchens so lot of people look for those in remodeled ones too
most people will tell you that replacing cabinet fronts is also desireable if you are doing all cabinetry/drawers
for me it depends on the look of the cabinets and their quality--if it is made-on-site wood and you replace with cheap particle board big-box store I don't know that you did yourself any good...

the look of metal from antique bronze/gold to nickle is almost universal with the Tuscan look using ORB fixtures from door hardware to ceiling fans and other fixtures

the problem is if you are not intending to sell soon--replacing carpet and doing things like painting the interior is going to be necessary when you get ready to sell probably anyway--
so part of what you do should be done from your own personal desire to just improve your living area and update for your own enjoyment

if 5 yrs what you did could look "dated" again...

updated bathrooms--change in countertops, flooring, fixtures...glass block showers used to be the rage--now that is dated look...

Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM

9 posts, read 14,875 times
I guess it depends on what you have in your house. There are homes that need just minor updates while others need major renovation. Most realtors say that getting rid of carpet, swapping gold finish hardware with pewter, replacing white appliances with black or steel, ripping off wall paper & painting neutral, resurfacing cabinets is enough if you want to sell. My home is from 1993 but it was a custom built with upgrades which in our realtor's opinion bring sense of opulence, tradition and lived in feeling, which is always in demand so no need to do anything if we decide to sell.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Most designers and decorators will tell you that you can expect to get the biggest return on your money with an upgraded kitchen. Granite is a must, as is stainless steel appliances. Double ovens, quality range preferably with gas, etc.

If your kitchen was updated with those things, then that will be the best thing to sell your home to most buyers. The style now is to have an open concept, so if you can knock down a wall to allow the kitchen to overlook the living area if it doesn't already would be a welcome addition.

Other than that, going with hardwood flooring in parts of the house, and replacing builder grade fixtures with more high end units are also easily noticed and can really set your home apart.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:55 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Kitchens and bathrooms are what sell houses.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Why are you worried? Plus, you really do NOT have to do thousands of dollars in upgrades to sell your house. You won't make that money back.

Best person to tell you what your house "needs", if anything, is a realtor who is familiar with the housing stock in your area. People here are just going to tell you what THEY want in a house THEY would be buying.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why are you worried? Plus, you really do NOT have to do thousands of dollars in upgrades to sell your house. You won't make that money back.

Best person to tell you what your house "needs", if anything, is a realtor who is familiar with the housing stock in your area. People here are just going to tell you what THEY want in a house THEY would be buying.
Seriously!!

If you have no intention to move now, don't change a thing if you like your home as is. If you're curious as to what sells in your neighborhood, start walking through open houses around you to see what style & condition they're in and take note of how long it takes to sell the ones that resemble yours the closest. BUT-- remember that what you see & observe are only indicative of TODAY's market and not a promise of what will happen if you sell in a "few years."

Please consult a trusted W Plano r/e agent before spending $1 improving your home. They can tell you what your home's CURRENT value is and make suggestions to help you avoid wasting money when you sell. You may need to gut your kitchen, you may just need new countertops and appliances; or you may just need to update your paint palate.

But I really wouldn't stress now if selling is only a remote future possibility.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM

263 posts, read 565,313 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I feel good about our kitchen since it has granite and all new stainless appliances. Just kind of wondering if all bathrooms (or just the master) should have granite too. I'm so ready to remove our wallpaper and paint, but not if we should time it with replacing counters. I plan to ask one of our realtor neighbors to come look too. Anyone have bathroom color suggestions? We have five bathrooms all with wallpaper. We will probably wait on the master since there are other things we'd like to change especially of we stay long term.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:21 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
My wife and I watch HGTV and DIY tv quite a bit. Believe it or not, wallpaper is making a comeback (though probably not in the particular pattern/style you currently have.) If you don't plan on moving soon, and are fine with it, I'd say leave it. But, if you can't stand how it looks and want a change, then removing it and painting is a fairly cheap job to do, if a bit laborious to remove the old paper.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
MOD NOTE:

OP,

Since you've already received all of the local advice to your area-specific questions, the rest of your remodeling/decor questions should be posted in the House Forum and/or the Home Interior Design and Decorating Forum, as this Dallas relocation forum is strictly for Dallas area related queries/comments.

Thanks all!

Thread closed.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-17-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: