U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 PM

1,005 posts, read 3,306,877 times

Advertisements

I love large houses and eventually I'd like to have a house of that size. But I have to admit that the small lot makes it look as if that's all the owner can afford. It's not balanced.

But then this is something that doesn't seem to matter to people given that there are sooo many ~1M$ houses in the metroplex (not just Frisco - just look at some of the new zero lot developments in Preston Hollow).

I went another route and bought about an acre, heavily wooded so that I can't see neighbors (except one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,178,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
I love large houses and eventually I'd like to have a house of that size. But I have to admit that the small lot makes it look as if that's all the owner can afford. It's not balanced.

But then this is something that doesn't seem to matter to people given that there are sooo many ~1M$ houses in the metroplex (not just Frisco - just look at some of the new zero lot developments in Preston Hollow).

I went another route and bought about an acre, heavily wooded so that I can't see neighbors (except one).

I'm not convinced about these zero lot homes... But I doubt it's because the original owners are unable to afford a larger lot. I think it's more that the subdivision doesn't have larger lots unless you buy 2 next to each other and some prohibit that as well.

I'd buy 2 lots and build something like this if I had my way with a subdivision.

The entire subdivision have homes that are atleast this size.... So it looks like a good neighborhood where I wouldn't feel out of place.

I do like the idea of larger lots though.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I found another one... this one is significantly cheaper but the pics still look great.

Frisco Home Cheaper
4600 sq ft on 0.26 acre?!?!

Well, we obviously have different criteria. Also, they say it's 48" commercial grade range w. double oven, but all I see of the kitchen is the big gap where it's going to be. I wonder who the manufacturer is (Viking? Thermador? Dacor? Dynasty? Wolf? ????)

I'm also a little leery of place that has 15 pics, of which 2 are the same and another 5 are of the general subdivision rather than the actual house.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I'm not convinced about these zero lot homes... But I doubt it's because the original owners are unable to afford a larger lot. I think it's more that the subdivision doesn't have larger lots unless you buy 2 next to each other and some prohibit that as well.

I'd buy 2 lots and build something like this if I had my way with a subdivision.

The entire subdivision have homes that are atleast this size.... So it looks like a good neighborhood where I wouldn't feel out of place.

I do like the idea of larger lots though.
Then (just wondering, not trying to be aggressive or anything, just curious) why not look in places where the lots are larger (like Western Flower Mound/Double Oak, or Southlake/Colleyville). Added bonus if you care is that the schools in those areas are better (well, assuming you stay in Lewisville ISD in Double Oak). Granted, I'm forgetting where you'll be working...

As I've noted, my price range is below yours and we're content with less house (we'll probably be at ~3,500 sq ft, +/- a few hundred), but haven't had problems finding listings in those areas with larger lots (we're requiring that) at our lower price point/house size. IIRC you've discussed going well above 600K, so you should be able to find larger size AND larger lot in those areas if you're so inclined.

Again, my apologies if for various reasons those areas don't make sense for you.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Then (just wondering, not trying to be aggressive or anything, just curious) why not look in places where the lots are larger (like Western Flower Mound/Double Oak, or Southlake/Colleyville). Added bonus if you care is that the schools in those areas are better (well, assuming you stay in Lewisville ISD in Double Oak). Granted, I'm forgetting where you'll be working...

As I've noted, my price range is below yours and we're content with less house (we'll probably be at ~3,500 sq ft, +/- a few hundred), but haven't had problems finding listings in those areas with larger lots (we're requiring that) at our lower price point/house size. IIRC you've discussed going well above 600K, so you should be able to find larger size AND larger lot in those areas if you're so inclined.

Again, my apologies if for various reasons those areas don't make sense for you.
I am looking at other areas as well - mainly Keller vs Southlake vs Colleyville vs Flower Mound. I just brought his Frisco house into the mix because I wanted to see if there was something particularly special about the neighborhood it was in or if it was in a better than normal location within Frisco.

Our price range is quite good for the house we want, but compromises prevail and they limit us - much like anyone else buying a home.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I am looking at other areas as well - mainly Keller vs Southlake vs Colleyville vs Flower Mound. I just brought his Frisco house into the mix because I wanted to see if there was something particularly special about the neighborhood it was in or if it was in a better than normal location within Frisco.

Our price range is quite good for the house we want, but compromises prevail and they limit us - much like anyone else buying a home.
A) got it, and that makes sense. B) Although I also understand what you mean when you say "compromises prevail", I have many friends (as do you, certainly) who are in less fortunate circumstances who would be amused at what either of us consider "compromises".

Good luck on your home search.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,101,075 times
I wouldn't count out a zero lot line house for everyone. While it wouldn't fulfill my needs, my parents are actively searching for a house like that. They are in their 60's and don't want the hassle of doing any yardwork. They'd be just fine with a large house with only a front yard. It's actually become a selling point in some builder communities, your HOA fees cover front lawn maintenance, and you just have a porch in the back basically.

So, a large house on a small lot can be perfectly acceptable for some people.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 AM

695 posts, read 1,223,850 times
I have no issue with zero lot lines myself, but probably would not want one for a house that size. I think it makes more sense for a house less than half that size or smaller.

Also, Hebron HS isn't bad. That part of the LISD is not bad and I do wonder why people think this way. I guess people just don't look past the TAKS scores, which only tell part of the story. Oh well.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:00 AM

718 posts, read 1,094,405 times
While some buyers love big lot with mature trees , you will found also plenty of people who couldn't care less about lot size. A pool and a patio to entertain like on the first house is plenty for many homeowners. A big house is also a great asset to entertain in the summer since we have been spending more time inside than outside the last few summers.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Thanks guys for all the inputs. I need to see this house for myself but the zero lot may be a deal breaker. I like the inside very much though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or