U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM

36 posts, read 53,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
DART Bus Shooting Sparks Manhunt (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/110211-DART-Bus-Shooting-Sparks-Manhunt - broken link)

Will all this violence change your DART habits?
I've ridden DART daily for 2.5 years and never felt unsafe. This won't change my riding habits a bit.

We live in a city of 6+ million people. Guess what? Bad things will happen sometimes. Keep your street smarts about you and be aware of your surroundings, wherever you are.

As for security presence, I have not been on a metro system that has a security officer on every train or car. If you need that, don't ride it...I would also suggest not ever leaving the safety of your home.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,668,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I ride DART light rail once in a while. My wife likes to ride it to the West End, the Dallas Zoo, or Mockingbird Station. We usually ride it on nights or weekends. I've also ridden light rail during rush hour. I'll say this, the rush hour commute times have a completely different ridership than nights or weekends. Since this incident occurred on a Wednesday at 10:30 a.m., I think you can say that the ridership is different at just about any non-rush hour commute time.

About half of the ridership in non commuting hours appear to be somewhat "unsavory". Quite a few gang members will also show up. I'd guess that most of the unsavory types do not buy a ticket. During the many times I've ridden light rail, I've only seen a DART security officer/cop once. Most of the time, there is no one even to check tickets.

I don't enjoy it nearly as much as my wife does. And when I ride, I am ALWAYS packing a weapon (legally of course).
OK, so my main exposure to light rail/rapid transit has been in Atlanta.... HOW can someone who didn't buy a ticket access the platform/trains? I thought stations were built such that only a ticket with valid information on the magnetic strip would allow entry? You know, barriers that only open for paid passengers.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
You can just walk right into any of the DART stations. In the downtown area, there really aren't any "stations", just some overhangs on the sidewalk where the train stops.

---

As for riding DART - yes, stuff happens. But consider how many people ride it daily, and then compare THAT to the number of incidents. IMO, you have a 99.99% chance of getting where you're going with no problem, which is just as good as, if not better than, your odds with an automobile.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,421,128 times
Witnessing some guy getting pummelled on a train that had stopped on the tracks due to a power outage sure makes an impression.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 PM

1,540 posts, read 2,289,454 times
I rode DART every day for the three years that I lived in Dallas, never had anything happen to me. And yet...I saw some unsavoury things happen. The one I'll never forget is the young white boy getting pounded by this big black guy who was in a rage...I wasnt on that train so I dont know what caused it, but I saw it from the platform. Also, yes, there are the "young thugs" who get on the train. For the most part, they can be filed under the "annoying but harmless" category...the ones who make a lot of noise, catcall girls from a distance, and/or engage in loud conversation using obscene language.

That being said, I think most people would be safe on the train, but something to keep in mind especially if you are a girl, or otherwise vulnerable (ok let's just say it; for all the white people)
There is safety in numbers. Riding the train during rush hour when there are a lot of people on the train will keep you safe. Riding at 11pm at night when it's just you and a bunch of thugs...iffy...

If at all possible, avoid the trains between 2.30 and 4.30. This is when the high school kids get out, and some of them can be problematic (although again, I never had any problems with them other than the minor annoyances mentioned above).

Some DART stops are safer than others...the further away from the city of Dallas you are, it's GENERALLY safer (although there were the boys arrested for looking for folks to rob in Garland so it's all relative). I would avoid stops like Westmoreland, Ledbetter at late hours. My dad who rode the train down to Ledbetter for the first time late last year, still shudders when he mentions his time waiting at the Ledbetter station for the train.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 PM

350 posts, read 720,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
OK, so my main exposure to light rail/rapid transit has been in Atlanta.... HOW can someone who didn't buy a ticket access the platform/trains? I thought stations were built such that only a ticket with valid information on the magnetic strip would allow entry? You know, barriers that only open for paid passengers.
Wow, you're written three posts in a DART thread and now we find out you've never ridden DART. This forum can be so awesome sometimes.

And for the people who don't understand why DART doesn't have turnstiles: Basically, it would cost them more to install and maintain the turnstiles than they'd recover in fares. Contrary to popular belief, the percentage of people who don't pay is pretty low. It's always the occasional riders who bring this "problem" up, simply because they don't understand that most people have a pass card and don't need to use the ticket vending machines.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Wow, you're written three posts in a DART thread and now we find out you've never ridden DART. This forum can be so awesome sometimes.

And for the people who don't understand why DART doesn't have turnstiles: Basically, it would cost them more to install and maintain the turnstiles than they'd recover in fares.
That just sounds like a false economy to me.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,976,195 times
Cranky, am I wrong, or is that link from the previous incident in November?

Here's a link to what happened this morning:
Man Killed In Shooting At Dallas DART Station CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

I am not one to scare off easy...but it does freak me out a little to think that my mom and my son rode DART to this same station a couple days ago. Obviously a completely different time of day...but still during an off-peak time when there are not as many people around. Might be a while until I (or my mom) feel comfortable riding DART with my kids again.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM

469 posts, read 739,897 times
Maybe DART should get rid of the stupid DART Police cars that waste tax payers money and put them on the trains so they can actually see things, stop things, be there, etc...

Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Maybe DART should get rid of the stupid DART Police cars that waste tax payers money and put them on the trains so they can actually see things, stop things, be there, etc...
HELLO..... I'm not trying to stir sh*t here. But, if I'm going to live in the area, I want to feel that using DART is a safe, reliable alternative to my car. Why have this otherwise? I mean, providing obstacles to those who haven't paid for passage is just basic common sense, not a reaction to possible violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas