U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 AM

653 posts, read 697,455 times

Advertisements

I hope this isn't opening a can of worms but, any thoughts regarding Greek Orthodox Churches in Dallas?

Google tells me there are two Greek Orthodox churches in the Dallas metroplex, Holy Trinity and St. John.

I feel like for the population of Dallas, there should be more Greek Orthodox churches. Can you recommend any others?

Also, what is the general character of each of these Greek Orthodox churches?
(i.e. in Baltimore we have three, and each has a very different personality - one is more blue collar in the heart of Greektown with a lot of Greek speakers, parking can be a small challenge when the small lot fills, and the church is the tiniest of the three; the second is in the suburbs with a younger white collar crowd, English is mostly spoken there, the church is more modern, and parking is a snap; the third is a lovely hybrid of old and new school, always tons of events, the church has traditional charm, but city parking can be an absolute nightmare).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,249,066 times
There are several other Orthodox churches in North Texas. St. Seraphim in Oak Lawn (Dallas), St. Barbara in Fort Worth, and St. Maximus in Denton

St. Seraphim Orthodox Cathedral - Home

St. Maximus the Confessor Orthodox Mission - Local Orthodox Churches

Saint Barbara Orthodox Church |

Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM

2,810 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I hope this isn't opening a can of worms but, any thoughts regarding Greek Orthodox Churches in Dallas?

Google tells me there are two Greek Orthodox churches in the Dallas metroplex, Holy Trinity and St. John.

I feel like for the population of Dallas, there should be more Greek Orthodox churches. Can you recommend any others?

Also, what is the general character of each of these Greek Orthodox churches?
(i.e. in Baltimore we have three, and each has a very different personality - one is more blue collar in the heart of Greektown with a lot of Greek speakers, parking can be a small challenge when the small lot fills, and the church is the tiniest of the three; the second is in the suburbs with a younger white collar crowd, English is mostly spoken there, the church is more modern, and parking is a snap; the third is a lovely hybrid of old and new school, always tons of events, the church has traditional charm, but city parking can be an absolute nightmare).
There are three in the Metroplex (well, 4 if you count the one in Denton, but I don't know if that's "Greek Orthdox" or not). Holy Trinity is in Dallas and is wealthier (and "flashier" if that makes any sense, which can be good or bad, depending). St. John is in Euless and is more "blue collar", they have a new church currently under construction there to replace their existing building. The third is St. Demetrios in Fort Worth, the people we talked to at St. John's in Euless generally had positive comments about the church as well. My wife and I have attended the Greekfests at the first two chruches and had some conversations with the people there, but have not spent a great amount of time at either and have not visited the Fort Worth church yet.

I'm a relo from Chicago and my wife is Greek, so this is one of the first things we looked into, and for better or worse, that's it. DFW just doesn't have a large Greek Orthodox community relative to its overall population. Other religions and/or ethnic groups are predominant here. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. As an FYI, at the Euless Greekfest a sizable number of visitors were completely unaware of what saganaki was and had to have it explained to them (and this was at the actual festival among attendees, mind you!). Just a small example to show that Dallas has limited inroads of Greek culture/cuisine/religion.

That said, if you're moving here from Baltimore, check them all out and see if any of them fit what you're looking for. As noted, Dallas is what it is, and it's different than Baltimore (or Chicago or New York or wherever). Some things are easier to find here, others require a little more searching out and/or just won't be present in the way you're used to elsewhere.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
There are three in the Metroplex (well, 4 if you count the one in Denton, but I don't know if that's "Greek Orthdox" or not). Holy Trinity is in Dallas and is wealthier (and "flashier" if that makes any sense, which can be good or bad, depending). St. John is in Euless and is more "blue collar", they have a new church currently under construction there to replace their existing building. The third is St. Demetrios in Fort Worth, the people we talked to at St. John's in Euless generally had positive comments about the church as well. My wife and I have attended the Greekfests at the first two chruches and had some conversations with the people there, but have not spent a great amount of time at either and have not visited the Fort Worth church yet.

I'm a relo from Chicago and my wife is Greek, so this is one of the first things we looked into, and for better or worse, that's it. DFW just doesn't have a large Greek Orthodox community relative to its overall population. Other religions and/or ethnic groups are predominant here. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. As an FYI, at the Euless Greekfest a sizable number of visitors were completely unaware of what saganaki was and had to have it explained to them (and this was at the actual festival among attendees, mind you!). Just a small example to show that Dallas has limited inroads of Greek culture/cuisine/religion.

That said, if you're moving here from Baltimore, check them all out and see if any of them fit what you're looking for. As noted, Dallas is what it is, and it's different than Baltimore (or Chicago or New York or wherever). Some things are easier to find here, others require a little more searching out and/or just won't be present in the way you're used to elsewhere.

Good luck!
Gah! C-D won't allow me to give you rep. points for this helpful post. I suppose I already recently gave you rep. points for another post.

In any case, thank you SO, so much for the helpful information! That helps a lot! Based on location alone, Holy Trinity seems to be the first one to try as it appears to be in a good area and near several Whole Foods.

I hope to possibly meet you and your lovely Greek wife in person at church or Greekfest one day! Apparently I'll be easy to spot as I'll be the one explaining to the Dallas locals what melitzanosalata and saganaki are. lol

Addition:
Perhaps you'd be a good person to ask too. Have you found any Greek restaurants that you like in Dallas? Since your wife is Greek, I trust her judgement.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:17 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,282,670 times
I had some delicious Greek food in Frisco. I forget the name of the place, but the owners are from Thessaloniki.

There are many Greek places in the Dallas area. Im sure you wont have trouble finding one to your liking.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:24 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,249,066 times
There's the Greek Bakery & Cafe in the Bishop Arts District in North Oak Cliff:

Greek Cafe & Bakery

Old 01-18-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
There's the Greek Bakery & Cafe in the Bishop Arts District in North Oak Cliff:

Greek Cafe & Bakery
Thanks! C-D wouldn't let me give you positive rep. again (I wish they wouldn't limit that as everyone on here has been super helpful

Thanks to everyone!

If you have more Greek church or restaurant recommendations, keep them coming! Of course there's Google, but word of mouth is always better.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM

2,810 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Gah! C-D won't allow me to give you rep. points for this helpful post. I suppose I already recently gave you rep. points for another post.

In any case, thank you SO, so much for the helpful information! That helps a lot! Based on location alone, Holy Trinity seems to be the first one to try as it appears to be in a good area and near several Whole Foods.

I hope to possibly meet you and your lovely Greek wife in person at church or Greekfest one day! Apparently I'll be easy to spot as I'll be the one explaining to the Dallas locals what melitzanosalata and saganaki are. lol

Addition:
Perhaps you'd be a good person to ask too. Have you found any Greek restaurants that you like in Dallas? Since your wife is Greek, I trust her judgement.
A) thanks much for the kind words, but really, I'm just going through the same type of adjustment as you

B) Re: restaurants - No, we haven't yet, but then we've only been to a few. We went to a place on Preston in Frisco (Platia) and were unimpressed. I've been to Ziziki's Taverna in Addison - no. But other posters who know the area far better than I have made recommendations, we just haven't hit them yet. (THBS, Platia was recommended by friends of my wife, but yeah, they weren't Greek).

BTW, I'm a taramosalata fan, myself. But really, they didn't know about saganaki? It's cheese, and you SET IT ON FIRE! What could be more fun than THAT!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
A) thanks much for the kind words, but really, I'm just going through the same type of adjustment as you

B) Re: restaurants - No, we haven't yet, but then we've only been to a few. We went to a place on Preston in Frisco (Platia) and were unimpressed. I've been to Ziziki's Taverna in Addison - no. But other posters who know the area far better than I have made recommendations, we just haven't hit them yet. (THBS, Platia was recommended by friends of my wife, but yeah, they weren't Greek).

BTW, I'm a taramosalata fan, myself. But really, they didn't know about saganaki? It's cheese, and you SET IT ON FIRE! What could be more fun than THAT!
Thanks so much for the tips!!!

Right? lol Saganaki was my favorite dish as a child for the fire. It's one of my favorite dishes as an adult for the cheese. You really can't ever go wrong with cheese and fire. lol

Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,424 times
The St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church is the oldest Greek Orthodox Church in Texas. They are blue collar workers
And seem to have a good mix of English/Greek services. Most everyone there speaks English and there are a convert and vistor friendly church. They are very welcoming to new people.
You can find them at [url]www.stdemetrios.net[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or