U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM

7,295 posts, read 8,136,847 times

Advertisements

Has anyone found elevated levels of lead in homes or people surrounding the plant? Err that can be tied to the plant?

As one guy, who is in the lead remediation business, told me Frisco is exposed to more lead by Grecian Formula hair tonic (it contains lead acetate) in a month than the plant in twenty years. His argument was quite convincing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,128,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
To play devil's advocate: shouldnt the Frisco homeowners have done their homework before buying next to a power plant??? Regardless of the emission levels, I know I sure wouldnt have wanted to live that close to one. It seems a bit silly now to moan about a plant when it was there before you got there. What did they think the plant would emit? perfume from Bath and Body Works?
Absolutely they should have. But to me, this isn't about them, it's about the plant not thinking ahead for the future. Regardless of who was there first, the situation NOW is that there's a plant in the middle of a bunch of homes and businesses, and there are concerns about toxicity all the time. That issue is never going to go away, and if Exide were smart, it would have realized that by trying to stay, they are simply going to face battle after battle with the city and its residents, and eventually lose after spending who knows how much fighting back.

Much smarter to break ground somewhere else with cheaper land and make a fortune selling the land where the current plant resides, than to try and stay where they are unwelcome.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,128,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
So under your scenario who would pay for them to move?
Eventually they will be forced out and will have spent millions fighting the city in court. Exide clearly doesn't have the future in mind here. I'm sure Exide could have probably struck a pretty lucrative deal with Frisco to agree to move considering how many people and businesses want them to relocate. Instead, they've chosen to fight against the inevitable.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM

326 posts, read 635,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I agree completely. It's similar to bolts who moved to the mid-cities around DFW and then bellyached about the noise.
+2. Beyond the homeowners themselves, Frisco hasn't been built out completely by a long shot, so the developers could have just as easily gone further out with the housing. It's always a risk when you put housing that close to industrial sites, regardless of what industry it is.

Unfortunately it's a bottom line cost decision, and it was probably a lot cheaper for them to build there since much of the supporting infrastructure (roads, water, power) was in place. Still, if not for the EPA sounding the alarms in the first place, potentially unnecessarily (show me the docs), this wouldn't have come to that. With that being said, I did my due diligence, and didn't want to have even a minute risk, which is why I'm on the far Northeast side of Frisco, well outside any "potential" areas of contamination.....

Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,297,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Absolutely they should have. But to me, this isn't about them, it's about the plant not thinking ahead for the future. Regardless of who was there first, the situation NOW is that there's a plant in the middle of a bunch of homes and businesses, and there are concerns about toxicity all the time. That issue is never going to go away, and if Exide were smart, it would have realized that by trying to stay, they are simply going to face battle after battle with the city and its residents, and eventually lose after spending who knows how much fighting back.

Much smarter to break ground somewhere else with cheaper land and make a fortune selling the land where the current plant resides, than to try and stay where they are unwelcome.

Now I'm no shill for big business by any means, but that sounds incredibly unfair to the power plant. So they are in a location, then due to no fault of their own (and the stupidity of homeowners) they now have to up and move? Who pays for this? Also what happens if they do as you say and move to a presently empty spot in Frisco, and 10 years later homes are built around them? We would have the same story all over again. Where does it end? This sounds just ludicrous to me. And you wont see this scenario anywhere else. How stupid would homeowners in Southlake and Grapevine be if they wanted the DFW airport relocated away from their homes? Point is, if you bought your home close to an already existing power plant then you should have been ready for the repercussions of that decision. End of story.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 AM

1,005 posts, read 3,309,402 times
Just make them comply with environmental rules.
No matter if they are in the middle of nowhere or in downtown.

It must be possible to process lead without polluting. If the only negative impact is an eyesore, well, don't buy next to a plant like that.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,580,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
To play devil's advocate: shouldnt the Frisco homeowners have done their homework before buying next to a power plant??? Regardless of the emission levels, I know I sure wouldnt have wanted to live that close to one. It seems a bit silly now to moan about a plant when it was there before you got there. What did they think the plant would emit? perfume from Bath and Body Works?
agree

Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM

813 posts, read 1,768,376 times
Poor planning on the part of Frisco leaders in the past. Should have zoned the area industrial, then surrounded it with light industrial as a buffer zone. Of course this is hindsight. Although this could have been done in about 1998 when Frisco started exploding with growth, before that area grew and the tollway extended north.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM

36 posts, read 53,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post
forty years ago, frisco was mostly uninhabited farmland. the plant is now surrounded by homes. get over it.
It's funny how when people who live off of Lower Greenville complain about the bars and patrons, they're told "You knew the bars were there when you moved there. Get over it."

Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,802,339 times
West Dallas Lead Pollution Victims Still Seeking Justice All These Years Later - Dallas News - Unfair Park OK before you jump all over me, I am posting this because a lot of Dallas and Dallas-area natives remember this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas