U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times

Advertisements

what about the difference in day and night driving through some of your areas
I am not familiar with Dallas neighborhoods are all
but I know that in my own part of Tarrant county there are some areas that look ok during the day because everyone is out at work/school--but when you drive through at night on on weekends and you see the number of cars on the street or people parking IN their yards what might have seemed like older/smaller but nice turns more sketchy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM

653 posts, read 697,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
I know you aren't picking on OED. You used to live here didn't you? Was it in HH or am I misremembering?

To the OP. M Streets is nice, though a different feel than OED. If you get a chance come down to OED. It is pretty obvious what is good and what isn't. All of JH is fine (except a little strip on Reiger), Munger Place is great.... it border's Peaks Suburban district, which is a block by block area. "Stay on this side of Fitzhugh." a street is often told to MP kids. In Junius Heights when I travelled a little more, my wife used to walk the dog at night every night and feel perfectly safe. In Peak's I wouldn't do that, let alone my 5 foot tall wife.

TC80 there must be a business opportunity here. Since most of OED rents by Craigslist or signs in the yard, we could give tours to potential renters, especially out-of-towners. Point out which blocks are ok, and which aren't show where the transitions are, show the unofficial neighborhood borders as well as the official ones, rope Lakewooder in to fill in all the historical background as well then we can pocket a little fee.
Ah, JH = Junius Heights, and MP = Munger Place. Peaks Suburban. Got it. I'll have to Google those areas. Thanks!

Believe it or not, I would TOTALLY pay for that service (I already feel like I owe several C-Ders lunch, at the very least, for their help . I think you're on to something!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
what about the difference in day and night driving through some of your areas
I am not familiar with Dallas neighborhoods are all
but I know that in my own part of Tarrant county there are some areas that look ok during the day because everyone is out at work/school--but when you drive through at night on on weekends and you see the number of cars on the street or people parking IN their yards what might have seemed like older/smaller but nice turns more sketchy....
Great point. Exactly what I'm worried about since I don't know the area. And if Dallas is anything like Baltimore, some areas look nice yet only a local would know they're not (that's what I'm worried about). Or, being taken by some scammer trying to rent a place they fixed up and looks okay on the inside and on Google Maps, but it's in a bad area and then renting it to some unknowing out-of-towner. At that point you're locked into a lease. :\

Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM

3,687 posts, read 3,922,877 times
My sister only had to walk out to the front yard of her place and she had the most beautiful view of the buildings in downtown...at night, it was spectacular!! That's a good point about nighttime, but I would say that b/c I'm accustomed to this part of town, I trust my judgement to know when it's ok and when it's not ok...hard for a new person, for sure. I honestly think you could get a great feel for the area in a couple of days where you wouldn't be too "iffy" about signing a year lease.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
My sister only had to walk out to the front yard of her place and she had the most beautiful view of the buildings in downtown...at night, it was spectacular!! That's a good point about nighttime, but I would say that b/c I'm accustomed to this part of town, I trust my judgement to know when it's ok and when it's not ok...hard for a new person, for sure. I honestly think you could get a great feel for the area in a couple of days where you wouldn't be too "iffy" about signing a year lease.
ShellNic, I'd planned to live in a hotel for a week or two when I get there to get acquainted with the neighborhoods I've narrowed down my search to (still working on narrowing down that list), and see a few apts./houses in person before signing on the dotted line. I'm glad you think I can get a good feel in a few days of being there. I will Google the area your sister lived in (corner of Swiss Ave. & Fitzhugh). It sounds amazing!

To the board:
I prefer a quiet house in suburbia, but since I'll be new to the city, I figure it best that I'm closer to places where I can meet people (which is why I've zoned in on Uptown, Park Cities, M Sts, Swiss Ave, etc - though, I'm still working on selecting an area, obviously).

Living in those areas, hopefully the commute will be in my favor too. Though I don't know where I'll be working yet, if I work downtown, I figure I'll have a short commute because I'll already live close to downtown, and if work in the burbs, I'll have a decent commute because I'll be going opposite traffic. Is that a fair assessment of that part of town (Uptown, Park Cities, M Sts, Swiss Ave, etc)?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,938,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I prefer a quite house in suburbia, but since I'll be new to the city, I figure it best that I'm closer to places where I can meet people (which is why I've zoned in on Uptown, Park Cities, M Sts, Swiss Ave, etc - though, I'm still working on selecting an area, obviously).

Living in those areas, hopefully the commute will be in my favor too. Though I don't know where I'll be working yet, if I work downtown, I figure I'll have a short commute because I already live downtown, and if work in the burbs, I'll have a decent commute because I'll be going opposite traffic. Is that a fair assessment of that part of town (Uptown, Park Cities, M Sts, Swiss Ave, etc)?
Counter commute helps some, but not a lot. Job first then home, you will find is the mantra on this board Dallas is an odd city in that the city itself, with the exception of Uptown, feels like the suburbs of many other big cities. Many of the places listed M Streets, Park Cities, Swiss Avenue (Really the whole Old East Dallas, Area) are more like small towns that happen to be in the middle of the city. We walk our kids to the local schools, often walk to local restaurants, or bars - but they are not next to our houses, just within walking distance.

If quiet hose in the suburbs interests you at all don't do Uptown. Uptown is busy day and night. If you meet people in Uptown they are not likely to be "Suburb People" I know a lot of people who debated between East Dallas and Suburbs, or Park Cities or Suburbs, Uptown is all about busy, urban, on the go living.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Counter commute helps some, but not a lot. Job first then home, you will find is the mantra on this board Dallas is an odd city in that the city itself, with the exception of Uptown, feels like the suburbs of many other big cities. Many of the places listed M Streets, Park Cities, Swiss Avenue (Really the whole Old East Dallas, Area) are more like small towns that happen to be in the middle of the city. We walk our kids to the local schools, often walk to local restaurants, or bars - but they are not next to our houses, just within walking distance.

If quiet hose in the suburbs interests you at all don't do Uptown. Uptown is busy day and night. If you meet people in Uptown they are not likely to be "Suburb People" I know a lot of people who debated between East Dallas and Suburbs, or Park Cities or Suburbs, Uptown is all about busy, urban, on the go living.
Yeah, I totally get that about having the job first. Ideally I'll have a job before I come, but I'll also have saved about a 1.5 years worth of living expenses (and I sold my home and have no debt, except a small student loan) so if I don't have a job before I get there (as finding a job from out of state can sometimes be hard i.e. most employers in CA won't even talk to you if you're not in CA yet), then I'm happy continuing to look for a job once I get there. I suppose I'm a little wild like that, moving in a recession without a job, but I have no children, so I suppose I have more flexibility than others.

That's great to hear about those areas! That actually sounds perfect for me! I'm used to living just outside where everything is happening (not in the mix where it's loud, but close enough to get Persian take out when I want it), so it will be nice to find that there!

I'm in my early 30s and will be dating when I get there, so while I don't want to be in a loud party / college / bar / trafficy area, I don't want to be too much in the burbs where everyone is married either (although I'll pick the quiet married burbs over loud any day So thanks for the tip about Uptown. It may not be right for me.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
I think you should check out Swiss Avenue and Junius Heights after work to see all the people out walking, jogging and being led by their dogs. Then go to http://timestencellars.com/home_dallas.html (broken link) and have a glass of wine - talk to the waitstaff and patrons.

As far as Gaston Ave. goes, the closer you are to Lakewood Shopping Center the better. There are more apartments farther east over to East Grand and Garland Road which are good for access to the lake, but not as walkable generally or with the 'village' feel.

In fact you really could describe the Lakewood area as a small town in the big city - we have all types of housing in proximity to our little 'downtown' Lakewood (Gaston and Abrams - restaurants, shopping and Lakewood Theater).

Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM

3,687 posts, read 3,922,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
ShellNic, I'd planned to live in a hotel for a week or two when I get there to get acquainted with the neighborhoods I've narrowed down my search to (still working on narrowing down that list), and see a few apts./houses in person before signing on the dotted line. I'm glad you think I can get a good feel in a few days of being there. I will Google the area your sister lived in (corner of Swiss Ave. & Fitzhugh). It sounds amazing!
Sounds like you're planning well!! Swiss Avenue has the most amazing homes, but passing over Fitzhugh, it will begin the mixed housing (homes, duplexes, quads etc.). I suppose you'll set your budget closer to the time (even if you now have a range) but I think you'll find something nice. I admit, those little houses are just so charming...I could really see myself in that area...

Old 01-20-2012, 12:54 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
There's another thread on here about the differences between Lakewood and Lake Highlands where we were discussing apartments. I happened on a Facebook conversation in a group last night about how some Lipscomb/Long/Woodrow alums were talking about living in one of the apartment complexes on Gaston backing up to Swiss. They were friends with the kids on that block of Swiss also - one person was talking about how she helped her Swiss Ave friend in a mansion save one of the domestic staff who had fallen in the pool. This is another unusual aspect of East Dallas and Lakewood that is difficult to explain to others..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or