U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 PM

653 posts, read 699,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I think you should check out Swiss Avenue and Junius Heights after work to see all the people out walking, jogging and being led by their dogs. Then go to times ten cellars - Dallas, Texas Winery - Wine Tasting Bar, Texas Wineries (http://timestencellars.com/home_dallas.html - broken link) and have a glass of wine - talk to the waitstaff and patrons.

As far as Gaston Ave. goes, the closer you are to Lakewood Shopping Center the better. There are more apartments farther east over to East Grand and Garland Road which are good for access to the lake, but not as walkable generally or with the 'village' feel.

In fact you really could describe the Lakewood area as a small town in the big city - we have all types of housing in proximity to our little 'downtown' Lakewood (Gaston and Abrams - restaurants, shopping and Lakewood Theater).
Lakewooder, this is the best collection of words I've heard, literally, all week. Thanks for the laugh (and the tips)! I can't wait to Google all of this!

Last edited by dclamb3; 01-20-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 PM

ShellNic, thanks. I'm trying to plan as best as one can. While I've lived in several different states, and moved cross country twice, moving alone to an unfamiliar city (during a recession without a job) is something I've never done before. It will be exciting, but I also want to be smart about it. Some say I'm nuts. I say if I did it unprepared, I'd be nuts.

Lakewooder, you're a wealth of information too. Thanks! I will absolutely be checking out that thread. I have a lot of reading ahead of me! And I'm pretty sure I owe several of you a "thank you" lunch when I eventually get there.

Now if the time would just fast forward to moving day.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:25 PM

3,687 posts, read 3,928,307 times
I'm excited for you. You've got it going on in the savings department and yes, you're preparing, so I truly think it's awesome for you to jump!! Super good luck...you might have too many good choices but it will be fun!!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 PM

110 posts, read 202,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Oh no, I was so proud of myself for narrowing it down to that section of Dallas (as Dallas is enormous!). lol Ah well. Perhaps since I don't know the area I should stick with Uptown / Park Cities / Swiss Ave. (and learn those areas well so I'll know when something is a scam or not really in those areas but listed as such - I didn't want to limit myself to a small area since I have two pups and imagine renting with dogs will be hard - I wouldn't know though since I haven't rented in over a decade).

This website seems to have some great rentals. Power Properties Apartment Rentals Dallas Texas | Apartment Rentals I just feel so blind looking at any listings because I don't know the true boundaries of the neighborhoods (other than what Google Maps outlines for me in red), and where the seedy areas are in between (I wish Google Maps had a ghetto button, so I know where to avoid lol).

Thanks for the tips!
I have friends who have lived in Power Property units and enjoyed the experience. The times I've visited them at their apartments I thought the units and grounds were charming and tasteful. That being said, there are still mixed reviews. Check out this c-d thread:

Lakewood Neighborhoods and Power Properties

You've been given great advice about driving through the neighborhoods to see what you like. The neighborhoods you've listed are all great and have their ups and downs. It will all be a matter of personal preference. I personally like the patchwork feel of OED where mansions hold hands with taquerias and dollar stores. Some people find it seedy. Uptown is beautiful and clean and full of beautiful and clean people. Some people find it sterile.

North Oak Cliff is really cool - I agree you should check that out as well. My sister in law used to live in a building here: The Homes of King's Way before she bought a house up the street in Kidd Springs. They have a great neighborhood association that gave them a basket full of gourmet wines, cheeses, and coffees when they moved in to their new house.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 AM

ShellNic and trc_everything, thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or