U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM

578 posts, read 1,210,316 times

Advertisements

We've been on t-mobile for forever...you just can't beat their pricing. However, the few problems we have had with t-mobile started when we arrived in Dallas. Not sure their coverage here is as good as it was where we came from. But we called t-mobile and the technician suggested " resetting the signal to our cellphones" and it has greatly reduced our problems. We couldn't even use the cellphones inside our house...so many dropped calls!

But their customer service is top-notch and like I mentioned they were able to do something over the phone that has helped dramatically. My only complaint is that occasionally we don't get texts or voice-mail messages when people leave them. There have been times a span of several hours went by before the voicemail or text came in. But since the fix, this happens a lot less.

Great pricing and customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 PM

2,002 posts, read 3,985,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
If you like your service with AT & T and you are up for renewal- call them and tell them another service is nicer and see if they are willing to meet your needs and stay with your budget or even lower your payment if you decide to stay with them. I have been with AT & T - since they were At&t, Cingular, then At&t again so like what 14 years now. Never any issues- ever. Recently my plan was also up (Dec.) I called them they changed a few things around it is lowered my payment by $50.00- I have three lines on my account two iphones, and one regular data phone.
I think I'll try this first and then will try T-mobile. It's only to save money. The service has been great for this 4 years.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,600,213 times
To a prior question -- I was saying that MetroPCS seemed a little Ghetto.

Not that there is anything wrong with Ghetto if you like that.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 AM

441 posts, read 1,561,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
I currently have T-mobile. I am planning to switch to ATT or Verizon soon because I'm getting the Iphone, but it's been hard for me to switch because I love my plan with T-mobile (been with them for about 10 years).
Another option: if you want to keep your existing service you could pick up a used ATT iphone, unlock it with a ~$10 unlock code from eBay, and use it with your existing TMO sim card. Caveat: it would only run 2G on the data side because the ATT/TMO phone use different freqs for the high speed stuff.

Before anyone freaks out: 2G is fine for sycing email/contacts/task and light browsing on the go. Can't do video or VOIP over it of course unless you are around wifi. I run an android on TMO's 5GB-for-$30 Monthly4G but keep it choked down to 2G for battery life purposes and find it is plenty of bandwidth for my purposes.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 PM

931 posts, read 1,743,834 times
I have had TMobile for 8 years. No dropped calls except when I took underpass at Sring Valley and Central. I get 15% discount for being a Veteran you have to ask. They also offer discounts to a lot of companies you should google and look at all.

I think I save about 30 to 50 dollars a month I have the unlimited everything with data. Another nice thing is if you tether and you go over the cap they don't charge you they just lower the internet speed till you start another month. Friends I know who have AT&T iphones have a lot of dropped calls and quick busies.

White Rcok area has a strong signal on my phone.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 PM

One nice thing about Tmobile is you have 30 days to return for full refund and if you move and don't have a good signal they will let you out of contract without a hassle.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 6,178 times
Default Sprint-->T-Mobile

I'm currently on Sprint and am on the verge of switching to T-Mobile for a multitude of reasons:
- Sprint reception is pretty bad both at my workplace and apartment, 75390 (near UTSW) and 75206 (near SMU).
- Data speeds...nonexistant on Sprint
- Price: currently paying nearly $200 for 4 smartphones, unlimited text and data, 1500mins. Tmobile will be just under $100 for the same thing (although, data will be throttled (2gb 4G data...more than enough) and only 1000 mins (adequate)

Does anyone have experience switching from Sprint to T-Mobile? Is reception typically better? 75390 area i have 0 bars of reception, 75206 area i typically have 1-2 bars. If anyone has experience with T-Mobile, particularly in the Dallas proper area, I'd greatly appreciate input.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:07 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,539,966 times
I've had T-mobile for almost 5 years now and have had no problems. I have had a few dropped calls, but probably not more than once a month - and it is usually only when I'm driving through a very specific part of town (GB and 75 if you are curious). One thing I really like about T-mobile is they offer plans that are much cheaper if you buy/provide your own phone. At least when I was shopping around years ago, none of the other carriers were offering that. So if you don't mind the hassle and up front cost of acquiring your own phone I think it's a good option. It ends up hundreds of dollars cheaper over the course of the typical 2 year contract plus the 'upgrade' charge with the other plans and carriers.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,668,326 times
How is data reception in the Dallas area? I've NEVER had issues with phone calls, I have a TM 4G mobile hotspot that I use when we go to our houseboat at a marina/lake near where we now live. Although the coverage map on TM's website shows continuous 4G coverage along I-85 in our region, but I NEVER get more than 2G indicated on my hotspot device. Usually it just indicates an E (Edge network) speed. And our boat's slip is within a few hundred yards of I-85.

The bandwidth is such that I can never work from the lake as I had planned to occasionally. The same hotspot device picks up a full indicated 4G at our house (but of course we have wifi through our cable company at home, so it does me no good there).

Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 PM

This is true for all major cell phone companies except sprint. With the bandwidth cap you had better use your phone with wi-fi most of the time.

Sprint still is unlimited download unless they changed or will change. I went form unlimited to 2GB cap in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or