U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,979,424 times

Advertisements

I only scanned the responses, and there are SO many great ones I agree with. This will sound like a little thing...but it made a huge difference in MY sanity. Have a good "drop zone" for where you regularly enter the house. Whether that be the utility room off the garage, or a desk area in the kitchen by the back door, or a wall big enough for hooks and a bench by the front door...whatever. It just makes such a difference to have a place that all the "stuff" (mail, backpacks, purses, briefcases, books, electronics, etc) can land..and not end up scattered about everywhere...ESPECIALLY when you have kids! In our old place...the garage went straight into the kitchen eating area...so everything ended up on the kitchen table. Made in a nightmare cleaning it off for dinner every night.

And just wanted to add...this is a GREAT thread! Not just for people building...but also for things to look when you are buying a previously owned home. Thanks, pinipig, for starting it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:12 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Luckily my house is pier and beam so running a gas line to the kitchen is easy. I have a gas hot water heater.
I should recheck the listings to see if any of them are pier and beam. So far I think all of them are slab, which obviously means running the gas line is prohibitively expensive. Drives me crazy as some of them have gas fireplaces - what, they couldn't run the line another 30 feet?

Oh, one thing that appeals to me in houses we've seen, but I have no idea about all the small practical details, is some type of covered patio.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:34 PM

23,614 posts, read 31,177,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I should recheck the listings to see if any of them are pier and beam. So far I think all of them are slab, which obviously means running the gas line is prohibitively expensive. Drives me crazy as some of them have gas fireplaces - what, they couldn't run the line another 30 feet?

Oh, one thing that appeals to me in houses we've seen, but I have no idea about all the small practical details, is some type of covered patio.
If they were built in the last 40 years they're probably on slabs.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
If they were built in the last 40 years they're probably on slabs.
Yeah, they're all from late 80's to early 2000's, with most around mid to late 90's. I think they're all slabs. And my god so many of them are electric cooktops. What the heck were they thinking? Don't people here COOK? Or are the great big kitchens with giant islands and big slabs o' granite just for show?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 PM

23,614 posts, read 31,177,547 times
Quote:
Yeah, they're all from late 80's to early 2000's, with most around mid to late 90's. I think they're all slabs. And my god so many of them are electric cooktops. What the heck were they thinking? Don't people here COOK? Or are the great big kitchens with giant islands and big slabs o' granite just for show?
Honestly? I think they are more for show.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Honestly? I think they are more for show.
*sigh*

Then again, it's thanks to people like that that I scored a Calphalon Tri-ply copper 12" omelet pan for $20.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,181,362 times
Quote:
Look at it this way, you can rip out the old stuff and put in what you want.

Last edited by pinipig523; 01-23-2012 at 04:25 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 AM

42,262 posts, read 49,809,717 times
The neighbors behind me and their ridiculous dog.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 AM

326 posts, read 653,951 times
I have a two car garage with two doors. If I could I would change it to one door like my previous house. That way I could park in the middle and have shelves along both walls. The next house would have to be absolutely fantastic for me to get this kind of setup again. Also if I was building I would get a three car garage.

One thing I could change but am too cheap to - move the fences up or out as far as possible given the HOA and city rules. Also this doesn't apply to me but I wouldn't not buy a house with an iron wrought fence in the backyard. Sure they look nice but I prefer my privacy instead. Some houses in my neighborhood are beautiful inside but have no privacy at all because of those iron fences. And they have been siting on the market for a while.

All things equal, I would buy the house with a solid front door instead of one with a glass insert or with glass panels. Those are "upgrades" I could do without.

I like tile flooring, stone or stone looking 18 sq inches, over wood and carpet in the living areas. In my next house I will factor the cost of replacing carpet if its in those areas.

I don't need a living room in addition to the family room. I prefer a closed in office one the first floor instead.

I wish I had a large laundry room that has a sink and folding area.

Last edited by lemonegg; 01-23-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 AM

27,535 posts, read 44,999,258 times
most new homes do lot of the things people are suggesting now as matter of course--
especially in the OP's price point
there is no new house (spec or custom) that won't have covered patio and probably large area were outdoor kitchen is component

most newer homes are incorporating a drop zone/locker area as someone suggested--
and have dual fuel options IF there is NG available in the areas--
there are still few parts of Tarrant county and maybe others where there was no gas pipeline laid --probably because it was unincorporated land/large landowners surrounding the development and the developer did not want to pay their tariff to lay the pipeline to his property

I wish this house had a solid front door or maybe a speak-easy type of window--and then had closed circuit security camera to see who is at door...
we have large glass panel that you can't really see through that well--but anyone on the other side can tell if you come to the door--can't see who is there w/o opening the door--
not very security friendly...

our neighbors have the setup like I would like and think they can check who comes to the door via monitor elsewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or