U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
 
1,256 posts, read 3,181,362 times
Reputation: 931

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Take what you like and leave the rest. Just like everything else - prioritize. Like you said, it's all about choices. You're fortunate enough that those choices aren't "beans or rice for dinner", but rather revolve around proper insulation for the door to your 3 car garage or sufficient wiring for your internet throughout the house and media room. (I still get excited that I can now afford soda in cans rather than just 2 liter bottles on sale, even given the houses we're looking at). So just roll with it. You can never have "it all", but you can have what you want the most.
It's funny that you bring up soda can vs 2L bottle - I still stick with the 2L bottle because it's so much cheaper! LOL...

Thanks T!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Flower Mound TX
94 posts, read 250,827 times
Reputation: 98
I have contracted to build 2 of my prior 7 homes, the others being 4 spec homes that we were able to finalize the last 20%, but pretty much stuck with the core design....

I looked over most of the suggestions and agree with them...

Here are a few of my "finds"
- copious amount of electrical outlets, both inside and out, in the walls and floors...also including in the eaves/ roof area - simplifies Xmas decorations power needs
- upgraded electrical capacity - just in case Xmas goes overboard
- go the smart house route...
- highly functional security system - I loved being able to log on and ck up on my kids and the nanny, see what the dogs are doing and even speak to them.... also nice to override the standard settings to turn on the pool heater, etc
- same with h2o faucets outside - have at least 1 H/C faucet set up in a garage
- 4 car garage - especially with the lack of basements here in TX, there is a lot of need for storage
- centralized utility location - whereas a basement home the mechanical are pretty much in one place, here I have 3 separate HVAC, h2o heaters, etc, in 3 different locations - what a PItA....see if you can get access to them via a real stairway, vs the pull-down from the ceiling kind (think Clark Griswold getting a face full in Xmas vacation)
- tank-less water heaters...
- large 1st floor storage area - preferably something that can hold an Xmas tree on wheels.... had this in a home and it was great - wheeled the thing to/from the GR and threw a cover over it for storage... everyone that learned about it, wanted to see it-- too funny during dinner parties
- 1st flr master....with egress to the back yard/patio/pool
- outdoor 1/2 bath and shower... especially if you have kids... saves the kids from having to run dripping water through the house
2nd full bedroom on 1st floor, with full bath and exterior egress....
- lots of storage in the attic - with floors laid
- insulation - exterior walls, roof, radiant barrier, all the green/energy saving things
- be wary of very high ceiling based light fixtures (not the can lights, but those that require you to unscrew the fixture cover/glass) - gonna be a tough one to have to hire someone to come in and change bulbs
- personal preference - use natural flooring materials - stone, wood, etc....

Good Luck!

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
 
1,256 posts, read 3,181,362 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROckjaw View Post
I have contracted to build 2 of my prior 7 homes, the others being 4 spec homes that we were able to finalize the last 20%, but pretty much stuck with the core design....

I looked over most of the suggestions and agree with them...

Here are a few of my "finds"
- copious amount of electrical outlets, both inside and out, in the walls and floors...also including in the eaves/ roof area - simplifies Xmas decorations power needs
- upgraded electrical capacity - just in case Xmas goes overboard
- go the smart house route...
- highly functional security system - I loved being able to log on and ck up on my kids and the nanny, see what the dogs are doing and even speak to them.... also nice to override the standard settings to turn on the pool heater, etc
- same with h2o faucets outside - have at least 1 H/C faucet set up in a garage
- 4 car garage - especially with the lack of basements here in TX, there is a lot of need for storage
- centralized utility location - whereas a basement home the mechanical are pretty much in one place, here I have 3 separate HVAC, h2o heaters, etc, in 3 different locations - what a PItA....see if you can get access to them via a real stairway, vs the pull-down from the ceiling kind (think Clark Griswold getting a face full in Xmas vacation)
- tank-less water heaters...
- large 1st floor storage area - preferably something that can hold an Xmas tree on wheels.... had this in a home and it was great - wheeled the thing to/from the GR and threw a cover over it for storage... everyone that learned about it, wanted to see it-- too funny during dinner parties
- 1st flr master....with egress to the back yard/patio/pool
- outdoor 1/2 bath and shower... especially if you have kids... saves the kids from having to run dripping water through the house
2nd full bedroom on 1st floor, with full bath and exterior egress....
- lots of storage in the attic - with floors laid
- insulation - exterior walls, roof, radiant barrier, all the green/energy saving things
- be wary of very high ceiling based light fixtures (not the can lights, but those that require you to unscrew the fixture cover/glass) - gonna be a tough one to have to hire someone to come in and change bulbs
- personal preference - use natural flooring materials - stone, wood, etc....

Good Luck!

-
Great set of tips RJ... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
 
396 posts, read 918,521 times
Reputation: 233
Another point about wireless is that it isn't as secure as hard line. Wireless security exists, but it is always going to be less secure than wiring. It's a radio that broadcasts your data, and, at best, you count on encryption to protect you. That's if you think to turn on the encryption (and change the default user name and password on your wireless router).

My house lacks any sort of lights out front, so I stuck a push-type LED stick-up light over the door. It's nice to be able to turn on an outside light when I come home after dark.

It would also be nice if I had some sort of shelf by the door, so I could set down things when I'm fiddling with the door. People could use it for writing, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
 
9,462 posts, read 15,034,249 times
Reputation: 15439
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but my biggest gripe about floorplans---the master bedroom opens directly into a main living area, such as kitchen or living room.

It seems this type of floorplan is common, especially among newer built homes. I suppose this isn't a problem with 2-story homes, but I am limited to a one-story. Our first home was a one-story, the bedrooms were down a hallway, away from living areas. Subsequent homes all had MB opening directly onto a main living area. Just open a door and you're right there in the heart of things! On the bedroom side, you can't sleep if others are anywhere in the house, and you feel you have NO privacy. Its a bit unnerving to step out of the master bath, and be in full view of whoever is in the house unless you thought to shut the MB door. Try to build something like a hallway between.


Also, regardless of how healthy you are now, do have some thought as to universal access. You don't need to have grab bars and ramps all over the place. Just perhaps consult with an accessibility designer to make sure the home can be retrofitted for disability access for "later" I've seen many a person in a nursing home, simply because they couldn't navigate nor retrofit their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 10:14 PM
 
1,256 posts, read 3,181,362 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryleeii View Post
i don't know if this has been mentioned before, but my biggest gripe about floorplans---the master bedroom opens directly into a main living area, such as kitchen or living room.
Yes!!!!! I thought I was the only one who thought that was weird. You come out of the masters and you're greeted by all your guests. What if the wife just woke up and she needs to get to the garage or something - then everyone will see you parade by in your robe.

Last edited by pinipig523; 01-23-2012 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
4,128 posts, read 13,168,303 times
Reputation: 2527
If I were to go custom again on my next home, I'll definitely build the media room on the first floor and keep the gameroom upstairs.

Naima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 PM
 
1,256 posts, read 3,181,362 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
If I were to go custom again on my next home, I'll definitely build the media room on the first floor and keep the gameroom upstairs.

Naima
Oh that's a tough one sometimes... you need a large lot to increase the foot print of the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 AM
 
7,292 posts, read 8,131,285 times
Reputation: 5381
If appropriate for your family:

Safes:
1. A small floor safe set in the slab for jewelry, handguns etc.
2. A place for a giant fire resistant stand up gun safe for jewelry, handguns - long guns, cameras, computers, back up harddrives, papers etc.

Safety:
1. Harden a room. Line a walk in closet, away from gas lines and water heaters with 1/4 steel plating (thinner might work) to stop flying bricks, timbers etc. In case of high winds.
2. Maybe on of those tiny storm cellars in the garage floor.

Texas Tech has great info about weather "safe rooms". I'll try to find a link later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 AM
 
1,256 posts, read 3,181,362 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If appropriate for your family:

Safes:
1. A small floor safe set in the slab for jewelry, handguns etc.
2. A place for a giant fire resistant stand up gun safe for jewelry, handguns - long guns, cameras, computers, back up harddrives, papers etc.

Safety:
1. Harden a room. Line a walk in closet, away from gas lines and water heaters with 1/4 steel plating (thinner might work) to stop flying bricks, timbers etc. In case of high winds.
2. Maybe on of those tiny storm cellars in the garage floor.

Texas Tech has great info about weather "safe rooms". I'll try to find a link later.
That's a good idea... instead of making a separate panic room, why not just line a closet with steel and double/triple up on the 2x4 supports - and make the panic room disguised as a closet. No extra real estate space required. I did not think of that.

Making a panic room is far cheaper than making a panic bunker... not into the 6 figure bunker the custom builders had quoted me.

Definitely agree with you on the safe. I just have to figure out where that should go. I don't know if the closet would be the safest place for it since robbers look in there first.

Last edited by pinipig523; 01-24-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top