Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,602,807 times

Advertisements

One feature we saw in house when we were looking was a "dog room"--small room (large closet size) that was tiled to shoulder level probably all the way around--it had dog door to outside back yard--

this was house being built for two drs with bird dogs dogs--they had them outside during the day but wanted the dogs to be able to come in to shelter if there was bad weather...
think there was also a drain in the floor so you could just wash it down as needed...tile floor/walls just kept dogs nails from doing damage...
they could also use that for dogs at night as they sleep quarters or "crate" area as needed...

I have also seen crate areas incorporated into utility rooms or the "landing zone" areas as well as pet feeding stations

some people are also building in an electric generator powered by NG to use when power is out after big storms / tornados / hurricanes--depending on where the house might be...
it would not run all the power needs of home but special circuit for like one fridge and certain outlets to use electric heaters and to keep cell phones charged or WiFi up and running for communications...
that is a great idea IMO--
people with gas cooktops can usually cook but w/o electricity the fridges go out and so do lights except for battery powered ones...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 AM

and YES--
you can't have any room where you plan to "float" furniture that does not have one and preferably two floor outlets--

because all homes here are slabs of one kind or another w/o basements you HAVE to have those outlets designed at plan stage and showing up on blueprints--and make the SUBS know what you are doing-- so that the conduits are laid before the slab is poured...

you would think that would be common sense but builders don't live in these houses and many of them don't live in houses as large as the ones they build--

larger rooms "float" furniture--smaller rooms have furniture around the walls where the circuits are located...

I know several people who have smaller homes and but the LA require floating the furniture to avoid traffic patterns...none of them have floor outlets and consequently they either depend on overhead light or have cords running under layered rugs--
it makes reading often impossible (of course these people don't do lot of reading anyway) and tripping a possibility...

so DEFINITELY consider furniture placement for ANY room on your plan--and various options for furniture placement--and think about traffic patterns/walkways and outlets/lighting needs

consider using various types of lighting in the rooms--
undercounter lights in kitchen/bathroom/study can be different type than drops or cans or wall fixtures
you spend 900K to build a house you should really have lighting consultant to give you info on various choices if your builder is not well-versed in new technology

Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,453,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and YES--
you can't have any room where you plan to "float" furniture that does not have one and preferably two floor outlets--

because all homes here are slabs of one kind or another w/o basements you HAVE to have those outlets designed at plan stage and showing up on blueprints--and make the SUBS know what you are doing-- so that the conduits are laid before the slab is poured...

you would think that would be common sense but builders don't live in these houses and many of them don't live in houses as large as the ones they build--

larger rooms "float" furniture--smaller rooms have furniture around the walls where the circuits are located...

I know several people who have smaller homes and but the LA require floating the furniture to avoid traffic patterns...none of them have floor outlets and consequently they either depend on overhead light or have cords running under layered rugs--
it makes reading often impossible (of course these people don't do lot of reading anyway) and tripping a possibility...

so DEFINITELY consider furniture placement for ANY room on your plan--and various options for furniture placement--and think about traffic patterns/walkways and outlets/lighting needs

consider using various types of lighting in the rooms--
undercounter lights in kitchen/bathroom/study can be different type than drops or cans or wall fixtures
you spend 900K to build a house you should really have lighting consultant to give you info on various choices if your builder is not well-versed in new technology
I was JUST looking up lamps the other day for a friend who has a large living area and limited outlets. This looked like a great option for her: Modern Lantern | Decorative Cordless Lamps | Cordless Lighting Solutions

Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 AM

intesting concept but runs on rechargeable batteries and does not mention what type of lightbulb you can use (that I could read anyway)

Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,013,843 times
Didn't read the entire thread, but I'll add a few things I wish the previous owner had added as options to my house.

It was a pain to run Cat5 cable to several rooms of the house. My house is large enough that using a wireless router doesn't do an adequate job of transmitting a strong wireless signal to all places, so I hardwired some rooms. Would have been so much easier if there were outlets for that already.

Garage door. We had a cheap, thin metal garage door with a 1/3 hp opener. Last summer, when it was over 100 degrees for weeks on end, the garage was a toasty 98-100 degrees as well. That heated up the rooms above it (guest room, media room.) We swapped out the door with a heavier duty, insulated door in late summer. Temps in the garage never went above 85-86 then, but we also had to get a more powerful opener, as the new door was too heavy for the old one. It's also done a great job keeping the garage from being cold this winter.

Circuit breaker/control panel. We have a 200amp system, and it has no more available spaces to add additional circuits. I want to add a couple more outlets in the garage, and an extra outdoor outlet to install a hot tub in the future, but to do that, I'll need to buy and install either a larger main panel, or a smaller secondary one to do that. Much easier and cheaper if that had been done during construction.

Automated lighting systems. We installed one of these in our media room and one by our front door to control the outdoor lighting. They are pretty pricey, but I'm sure a builder could buy in bulk and get a discount, not to mention, I now have a few wall switches that we removed that we will never use again.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,013,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
intesting concept but runs on rechargeable batteries and does not mention what type of lightbulb you can use (that I could read anyway)
They all use LED bulbs for the most part.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,546,033 times
A random one...think about where in the house you would go in case of a tornado. In that situation, you need to put as many wall between you and the outside as possible. If you are under stairs, or between walls with plumbing...even better. In the size home the OP is looking at, this probably wouldn't be an issue. But for smaller homes, sometimes finding an appropriate and safe interior space to fit the whole family can be tricky.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:53 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,168,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My house was built in the 1950s so obviously I didn't spec it out myself.

I love my house's layout and the size is terrific. However if I could change a couple of things about it, I'd:

Have a bigger master bathroom
Have a bigger master closet
Have a bigger utility room
Have a gas range in the kitchen (it's a possibility here though)
Have a basement (almost impossible in Texas, I know)
Have more insulation on my ductwork (could have this done)
More ethernet ports
We are also in a 1950's house. I would snap my fingers & change the following today if I could-->

-bigger master bathroom & closet. If this were our "forever" house, we'd be pushing out into the back yard to add on a real master.

-more & better storage in the kitchen -> cabinets are too shallow for today's big plate & serving piece sizes, no pantry

-rework where all the power outlets & cable jacks are.

-a bigger formal dining room. One that fits a table for 10-12 + china cabinet is on the "must have" list for our next home.

I would also move two walls if I could- close up the opening between living room & family room and open up the space between kitchen & family room. Personally, I like my formal rooms (non-negotiable in my book, both formal living & dining) clearly separate from my informals (kitchen & family room).

Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 AM

good point about the "safe room"
we have big closet under our stairs that is pretty strongly framed and has no windows---
it is full of boxes old photos and the vacuum right now but still has room for us...

reason not to use exterior wall/room is that wind force can thrust lumber and other debris through a brick wall--since in this area brick is really just facade over framing--lots of vacant wall space--not like cement block homes built in FL...

article in todays FTW paper about state funding for people who want to build a tornado shelter--
does not have to be in-ground although the picture of one done with funding was
you get partial amount needed to build--not 100% and there are qualification--think programs runs out in April of this year

Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 AM

19,554 posts, read 17,824,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I had a good conversation over DM today about how we should try our best to minimize mistakes when building a house, especially since my wife and I have never built a home nor owned a home.

As some of you know, we are looking to build a home shortly. Now, it is unlikely that we will not make mistakes. Chances are that I'll end up choosing options which I'll end up disliking.

That said, for those more experienced than I am... What were some mistakes that you made in your house (options, location, pool, floor plan, 2nd floor masters, flooring, lack of a living room, too large, too small)?

Thanks.
My little bro is an architect so I hear all manner of things.

1. Consider using an AIA architect if for no other reason than E and O insurance. All licensed architects have E and O and most builders have nothing similar so if your home gets built in a place that mysteriously floods or shifts or sinks etc. E and O will be of great comfort.

2. Rooms that are too big are a mistake as are tiny secondary bedrooms so it too little closet space.
3. Having someone other than a full time pro decide how much or how little AC tonnage is needed. Too little and the house is hot. Too much and the AC short cycles all the time ruining equipment too soon and wasting power.
4. FORCE electricians and helpers to "J-hook" wire around the screws terminals on all electrical switches, receptacles etc. instead using the wire clamps on the back.
5. Around here a second floor master in a new home is a big mistake. Don't do it.
6. Consider placing the utility room near the kitchen.
7. A $900K home needs a pool.
8. The formal living room is a catch 22. They are about useless but some people will not consider buying an expensive home sans one. Decide with your builder and architect.
9. If you can swing it put a small bath by an office/4th bedroom including a shower. Trust me.
10. Plenty of old school tanked hot water capacity.
11. No Pergo etc.
12. Pick your paint colors from specific paints from a paint store - keep those color numbers safe somewhere for later use. Don't not allow paint contractors to mix colors on sight. You'll never be able to properly replicate those colors later.
13. Kitchens are interesting. Some friends are building a new home in Dallas right now. They are installing two sinks, two separate fridges, large and small ovens separately and two cook tops. They entertain a lot and she is a FABULOUS cook so all this makes sense. My brother just built an uber-million dollar home for a guy in Wyoming. His kitchen is big but only has a microwave and oven combo, one sink a giant fridge and a cook top.
14. Wine storage. As we can't usually justify going underground here wine storage not thought out in advance is a problem. I'd suggest considering a big room that can be segregated into an office and a wine room and guys hangout.
15. Consider a full fence and sliding back gate combo. We have one now and LOVE it.
16. My bro. just built a home for his family and a pool at the same time so it can be done.
17. Use the best windows and doors that you can afford. My brother specs. casement windows quite often they look great and work well.
18. As mentioned talk to security and AV folks early. Wiring a killer home automation/HiFi/alarm/security system just after framing is a snap that one guy can do in a few hours.
19. Spec. copper power wire.
20. Don't let the electrical guy leave until all arc-faults work perfectly. After you move in have him come back and test them. They are a huge pain in the butt.
21. If you have an aV room run at least 4 dedicated lines from your breaker box.
22. Make certain that your breaker box has lot of unused space for electrical add ons later. Multiple panels are common.

A big one here:
Whomever your builder is make him/her prove up some level of financial where-with-all before selecting him/her. Like it or not in a way you will become his/her business partner to a degree. If he fails to pay the subs they WILL put liens on you home etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas