U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,119,063 times

Advertisements

The article also talks about the Hispanic boom in Dallas and how the decline of whites in Dallas and increase in immigrants will ruin the tax base. What the author doesn't realize is that today's immigrants (of all races and ethnicities, not just Hispanics) are giving birth to kids whom many of which are tomorrow's professionals. Maybe they choose to stay in their hometowns where many of the white professionals of yesterday didnt. A shift in demographics hardly equates to the downfall of Dallas.

I'd be more worried for Dallas if I didn't look at Dallas today compared to 15 years ago and see a big improvement. That's not the case. Most areas of N. Texas will go through their booms and busts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,806,429 times
This article fails to take into account the widespread demolition of older apartment complexes being replaced by luxury units of higher densities. When the numbers were taken that's when construction stopped due to the recession. Now things are really booming in that regard. Even so, this was discusses in another thread or site where I saw that Uptown had increased population significantly and my area had also had an increase. This was before the building resumed.

If we get more TOD developments around DART (as we are seeming to get in the hospital area and across from Victory in the Design District) and in Dowtown things are going to look much better for Big D. I would also suspect that Deep Ellum is really poised to become more dense. I don't know the status of the large land assembly in there that took place just prior to the recession.

The city adopted "Forward Dallas" Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - Sustainable Development and Construction with the intent to make the city more dense.

http://harvardco.com/harvard-news/af...to-boom-again/

A good example - the 23-story apartment building under construction in the Design District: http://realpoints.dmagazine.com/2012...-1400-hi-line/

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...nt-leasing.ece

Last edited by Lakewooder; 01-23-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,312,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Probably even WORSE in Atlanta, specifically.
Its actually much worse in Atlanta.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,205,312 times
Population growth rarely correlates well w/economic growth or wealth creation...and cause-effect of population vs wealth is rather dubious in a software/automation-driven era when far fewer, highly-skilled workers can work far smarter and far more profitably than even 5-10yrs ago

And many "industries" like government, healthcare, education, retail, tourism, etc are merely taxpayer parasites depending upon a credit bubble (and clueless taxpayers/lenders) to sustain selves

Would argue DFW and Houston's innovations in unconventional o&g are nearly as remarkable for the US economy as are the best productivity/profit-enhancing software/hardware innovations coming out of SiliconValley

And nearly any non-tech co. views suburban Dallas as world's most efficient locale to which to relocate HQs...far more cost-efficient than suburban NYC or Chic, let alone Midtown or Loop

Local new wealth creation in DFW, Houston and SV vs anywhere else on planet speaks for itself far more loudly than any population stats

Don't China and India have billions of poors and seem unable to create own Apples/Googles?
How did mere population "growth" work out for FL or NV or AZ?
How much new wealth has been created in Manhattan in past 25yrs, aside from about 10 BigHedgeFunds?
NYC region (incl affluent suburbs) is remarkably poor on any standard of living basis vs DFW/Hou/SV/LA for similar-income workers: cost/quality of new housing, commute times and quality (driving own (far cheaper) new Merc vs rather costly, unpleasant trains/taxis), fresh produce/grocery stores, HP public schools vs Scarsdale/ShortHills/Greenwich, etc etc
On any of those real-world metrics, affluent NYC suburbs (and Manhattan itself) are among US' poorest, more comparable to stuff in EU or Japan where alleged affluent also lack modern HVAC, ability to drive own new Merc to office/run errands w/o hassles, and stuff like modern supermkts are a CA/TX-innovated novelty

NYT is US' version of Pravda...often amusing to read a bunch of economic illiterates from NYC describing their views on "problems" facing the less enlightened who don't ride trains and live in either Manhattan or DC...nothing some central planning won't solve....

Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 PM

428 posts, read 1,209,764 times
Im just confused about this article,
-Suburban sprawl equates growth and progress?
-Dallas is not only Dallas county but adjancent areas. Hence their growth is our growth too.
-Dallas needs to bring more businesses in the city and densify. That I agree.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,806,429 times
With 3 million projected to come to Dallas in the next 30 years, it could very well densify with Forward Dallas, DART centered on downtown and *maybe* the Trinity River Project - which often shows mid to high rise apartment buildings in concepts - such a complex almost got off the ground before the recession.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM

956 posts, read 1,249,252 times
The city’s low growth is no reflection on Texas. The state’s overall population increased by about 20 percent in the last decade, more than twice the national level. All of Texas’ urban counties, save Dallas County, matched or exceeded the state’s growth rate. Meanwhile, the city of Dallas gained just 9,000 residents since 2000 — compared with Fort Worth’s 200,000 increase
From the NYTimes article
It is the future and also a familiar refrain and the dirty little secret that many Dallasites live in denial about.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,797,992 times
There was little analysis in the article.

In order to grow, a location has to reinvent itself.

That means two things.

1. New businesses.
2. Young couples having kids.

Dallas' negatives are pretty easy to spot:

1. Dysfunctional city government focused on race-based political theater
2. Apathetic and unaccountable bureaucracy
3. Aging population that is not economically diverse
4. Over reliance on tourism

I do think Dallas can re-invent itself as the new financial capital of the US. But this would take a long term vision to make it happen.

I do not think DART is an economic driver at all. It is a net negative for the regional economy. NTTA is the transportation economic driver for the region.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:48 AM

27,585 posts, read 45,029,595 times
NTTA = roads--and toll roads at that
DART is public transport/mass transit
I would hope there is role for both
NTTA has been given an open purse basically w/little real oversight into management/cost containment by the public that are going to foot the bill one way or another
That can't bode well for the region or the state and NTTA will grow like Topsy until it has most of the state under its oversight

Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM

7,299 posts, read 8,140,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
NTTA = roads--and toll roads at that
DART is public transport/mass transit
I would hope there is role for both
NTTA has been given an open purse basically w/little real oversight into management/cost containment by the public that are going to foot the bill one way or another
That can't bode well for the region or the state and NTTA will grow like Topsy until it has most of the state under its oversight

And DART has been an money pit of biblical proportions. Time will tell if DART can turn things around but last time I looked ridership was down, and down quite a bit, over a few years ago.

A financially inclined friend did a little analysis of DART a few years ago and showed that the city could provide hot shot helicopter based transport for far less money than DART has cost the area. I see the trains wiz past my Carrollton warehouse empty many times per day. Many other times one or two people will be on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or