U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 AM

27,597 posts, read 45,056,792 times

Advertisements

I know that it may not have been best use of money but the real failure to me who is not a Dallas resident is in leadership/vision in getting more people to view DART as viable alternative to using their cars...and making it a viable alternative
there are plenty of people who might use DART but it takes as long or longer to do that than their cars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 AM

7,305 posts, read 8,144,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know that it may not have been best use of money but the real failure to me who is not a Dallas resident is in leadership/vision in getting more people to view DART as viable alternative to using their cars...and making it a viable alternative
there are plenty of people who might use DART but it takes as long or longer to do that than their cars...
I think that is exactly right.

Anyone with a lick of horse sense knew it was going to be a failure before they spent dollar 1.

1. Much of the time it's too hot to park, wait for a train, take the train, get out and walk to destination when one can drive and park close by most of the time. Waiting at bus stops is worse.

2. The area is just too big. Boston is less than 50 square miles, Manhattan less than 25. All of NYC just over 300. Dallas itself is just under 400. DFW way more than 10 times that maybe 20.

3. High density/bad roads/bad parking. Public transport works great in tiny ares with crappy roads and little to no parking = NYC = Boston = and a few other places and places locked on at least a side by water. Not Dallas, Phoenix, OKC etc.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM

7,305 posts, read 8,144,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Sorry I missed some of that. The real issue isn't a lack of selling the thing it's the fact that as a system DART does not work well enough.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM

59 posts, read 129,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
The article also talks about the Hispanic boom in Dallas and how the decline of whites in Dallas and increase in immigrants will ruin the tax base. What the author doesn't realize is that today's immigrants (of all races and ethnicities, not just Hispanics) are giving birth to kids whom many of which are tomorrow's professionals.
Actually, I recently read an article (can not find it now) which talked about how the children of immigrants are NOT as hardworking and industrious as their parents. That statistically, they are feeding off of our welfare system.

Please know, there are exceptions to every rule! The article, just states that overall, it is hurting our system.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,682,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern1979 View Post
Actually, I recently read an article (can not find it now) which talked about how the children of immigrants are NOT as hardworking and industrious as their parents.
I feel sadly that that is a universal trend, no matter the location. There are good kids out there, from all sort of backgrounds but by & large I'm not seeing where most kids today are taught much about basic self-reliance or the value & dignity of hard work.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,318,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I feel sadly that that is a universal trend, no matter the location. There are good kids out there, from all sort of backgrounds but by & large I'm not seeing where most kids today are taught much about basic self-reliance or the value & dignity of hard work.
Thats because those kids have become American.

One of my best friends is from Mexico and he is an amazingly hard worker. The type of guy who does whatever it takes to get the job done. He was raised in Morelia.

However, his little brother was born and raised in Dallas and he is lazy beyond all reason.

I really think American culture instills laziness more than we realize.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,816,061 times
If 3 million more come to Dallas, can they really spread out to Lake Texoma? Will gasoline become more of an issue? Will there be money to build roads and other infrastructure? Will people want to pay large tolls every day? DART will become more important by default if nothing else. It's also likely that densification will take place around the lines and the stations. That's important not only for Dallas but also for the aging suburbs it serves.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM

350 posts, read 721,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
rabble rabble rabble

Same crap people have been saying for the past ten generations. Same crap "most kids today" will spout when they get old.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,682,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
rabble rabble rabble

Same crap people have been saying for the past ten generations. Same crap "most kids today" will spout when they get old.
...And a good day to you too!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,119,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
The city’s low growth is no reflection on Texas. The state’s overall population increased by about 20 percent in the last decade, more than twice the national level. All of Texas’ urban counties, save Dallas County, matched or exceeded the state’s growth rate. Meanwhile, the city of Dallas gained just 9,000 residents since 2000 — compared with Fort Worth’s 200,000 increase
From the NYTimes article
It is the future and also a familiar refrain and the dirty little secret that many Dallasites live in denial about.

FWIW, 200,000 people didn't move to the inner loop of 820. 200,000 people didn't move to FWISD schools. 200,000 people were either annexed in or moved to some outlying rural or suburban subdivision in outer north Fort Worth that go to either Eagle Mntn-Saginaw or Northwestern schools. In Dallas County's defense, those areas just aren't widely available anymore here. That's why Collin, Rockwall, and Denton Counties have boomed. Look at the links Lakewooder posted. Has any one area in North Texas seen as much development as the greater Uptown area the past decade? Dallas isn't going anywhere, it's just transitioning. I guess I'll stay living in denial, because I'm still not worried about Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or