U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 33,847 times

Advertisements

Do most Plano neighborhoods have alleys? On real estate site house pictures I noticed no front facing garages.

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 AM

792 posts, read 1,876,924 times
Don't know about all of Plano, but up here in what I will reference as "North Plano", most of them have alleys, but often in the same neighborhoods there will be houses with side entry and front entry. However, I think most of the front entry are usually streets that may back up to commercial / retail / office / etc. or something similar.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 AM

5,774 posts, read 6,666,503 times
Depends upon subdivision and price point. It's really a hit or miss, but I would say it's more common than not to have alley's.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM

813 posts, read 1,769,918 times
Having lived there I'd say it's about 60% rear with alleys and 40% front or swing garages, but that's just a hunch.

The less expensive areas are gonna be alleys because the lots may only be 40-60 feet wide and cannot accommodate a driveway unless the garage is a tuck under.

Had a rear garage in Allen and hated it. You'll never see any of your neighbors.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM

229 posts, read 396,916 times
I would say that most of the homes in west Plano have alleys, I'm not sure about central and east Plano.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM

94 posts, read 167,384 times
The old neighborhood in East Plano has front driveways. Personally I like the alleys which makes the front look neater and less traffic for the kids to place. When I first moved here, I was a little skepital. Now that I am used to it; I love it.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 PM

718 posts, read 1,097,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzy View Post
The old neighborhood in East Plano has front driveways. Personally I like the alleys which makes the front look neater and less traffic for the kids to place. When I first moved here, I was a little skepital. Now that I am used to it; I love it.
This.
The few houses without back alleys in West Plano will be on golf course or backing creeks or in very upscale neighborhood where the houses are build with porch or inside court . Usually the few older neighborhoods that will have houses with front garages , appear more like townhouse than proper house.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,802,888 times
Without an indication of the OP's price point, I wouldn't say "most" houses in west Plano have alleys. Once you get into the $600K+ range, front entry is much more common. Most of Willow Bend has front garages, and Lakeside on Preston is about 50/50. Old Shepherd Place is mostly rear entry, except for golf course lots. Among more recent builds, Preston Lakes is 100% front entry, as in Avignon in Windhaven.

Once you get to the Deerfield price point and below, then you are looking at 90+% rear entry, until you get to the really cheap places mentioned in east Plano.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,982,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Without an indication of the OP's price point, I wouldn't say "most" houses in west Plano have alleys. Once you get into the $600K+ range, front entry is much more common. Most of Willow Bend has front garages, and Lakeside on Preston is about 50/50. Old Shepherd Place is mostly rear entry, except for golf course lots. Among more recent builds, Preston Lakes is 100% front entry, as in Avignon in Windhaven.

Once you get to the Deerfield price point and below, then you are looking at 90+% rear entry, until you get to the really cheap places mentioned in east Plano.
Yes, this. In general I would say west Plano is a mix (with the more expensive areas having a greater number of front swing/side entries), north Plano is almost all rear-entry, central Plano is almost all rear-entry, and east Plano is mostly rear-entry for the above $160k range, and front-entry for the cheapest homes.You will find exceptions of course, but for each Plano, area I would say these are the norm.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 PM

718 posts, read 1,097,137 times
One of the other area in West Plano with front garages is around the Kemper Estate on Coit .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or