U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 AM

653 posts, read 698,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Bravo for you, sometimes I wish I could not eat meat..If it didn't taste so damn good and someone could promise me I wouldn't become one of the annoying self-righteous vegetarians I might consider it.

Rivers of blood however might have me reconsidering..Has anyone verified this is actually blood?
If it makes you feel any better, my mother was never able to get me to eat meat (except fish sticks and chicken nuggets - what kid doesn't like that? lol), so it was a fairly easy transition for me compared to other people who actually enjoy meat.

I also find most vegetarians to be pretentious so I totally get that too. It's a large reason I rarely, if ever, call myself a vegetarian. I simply say "no thank you," or "thanks, but I don't like ham/beef/etc" (because even if I were to eat meat, I really don't like those things - I do, however, love some seafood) or, if I'm trying to make a point, I may on a rare occasion say "I don't eat meat" (but that's a rarity that I even say that). So I can promise you that you won't become an annoying self-righteous vegetarian, because you're already aware of how annoying they are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 AM

396 posts, read 918,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Then what in the hell is it???.... "Blood in the River"?
"Blood in the creek" might be more accurate. A river has tributaries that empty into it; a creek (I think) does not.

It also isn't pure blood, being mixed with the stream of a pre-existing tributary.

How's that?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
THAT is how the market works... Word gets out about this or that, and before you know it, a company that is cheating its customers or doing other unethical things loses customers/business and can't do the bad things it was doing before... And, it becomes an example for others not to follow.
Like Goldman Sachs! Or, Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac! Or, Bank of America! Or, Home Depot!

Yeah, that's an interesting theory, but if you know anything about the stock market, you already know that even the people who buy pieces of these companies usually don't behave rationally. These are people hoping to increase their wealth or financial security, and are issued detailed reports, but they still buy irrationally. You cannot expect the general public to behave rationally on the basis of rumors.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:44 AM

7,293 posts, read 8,133,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
Like Goldman Sachs! Or, Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac! Or, Bank of America! Or, Home Depot!

Yeah, that's an interesting theory, but if you know anything about the stock market, you already know that even the people who buy pieces of these companies usually don't behave rationally. These are people hoping to increase their wealth or financial security, and are issued detailed reports, but they still buy irrationally. You cannot expect the general public to behave rationally on the basis of rumors.
Who said anything about rumors?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,677,583 times
Quote:

I'm not getting into a Wall St-bashing session here... I've offered my opinions already.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Apparently, channel 8 is going to run a story about this problem today or tonight.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Who said anything about rumors?
That's all that any of this is, until it is thoroughly investigated and formally recorded in a detailed, official report.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Apparently, channel 8 is going to run a story about this problem today or tonight.
Good to know. I actually first saw the story reported via a Web forum called Slashdot ("News for Nerds"). It's been reported through many media outlets, and NBC's segment was already linked in this thread, I think.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Good to know. I actually first saw the story reported via a Web forum called Slashdot ("News for Nerds"). It's been reported through many media outlets, and NBC's segment was already linked in this thread, I think.
I get all that I was hoping to see new info., the piece just ran. Not much new information.

1. Columbia Packing seems to be to company name.
2. The red stuff appears likely to be hog blood but there is no confirmation.
3. City attorneys and the DA's office are all over this.
4. Apparently the USDA has investigators on sight as well.
5. It may be that a pipe way laid underground in effort to hide the effluent - if so someone needs a stay in jail for years card.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,941,046 times
Quote:
I get all that I was hoping to see new info., the piece just ran. Not much new information.

1. Columbia Packing seems to be to company name.
2. The red stuff appears likely to be hog blood but there is no confirmation.
3. City attorneys and the DA's office are all over this.
4. Apparently the USDA has investigators on sight as well.
5. It may be that a pipe way laid underground in effort to hide the effluent - if so someone needs a stay in jail for years card.
Seems about right. This is certainly a big attention getting story, and we as individuals may be able to put it together. A: only thing in that area that should create that colour is hogs blood, B: Slaughterhouse has illegal pipe running to spot where red began. C: (according to Dallas Observer) their water usage and sewage usage does not seem to match what would be needed without some dumping = They are illegally dumping hog blood. It is one thing for us to think that or say that. It is quite another for the city or news to say it. We are only a few days in. Sooner or later the city or USDA will have enough evidence to confirm (or possibly but less likely deny) this, or a news agency will dig up enough to expose it. Till then this is really all they can say, frustrating though it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas