U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM
 
34 posts, read 14,204 times
Reputation: 18
Default Rentals in or close to Irving, plus better school district???

Mesquite or Irving? My job is in Irving buut i have a nice deal on an apartment in Mesquite that i will take if the school system is better. Yes. I know of the 40 minute drive from Irving to Mesquite. My husband drives that long to get to work already. But we're looking at school systems right now.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-25-2012 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: merged both threads - no need to start a separate one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
 
82 posts, read 87,689 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingme View Post
Mesquite or Irving? My job is in Irving buut i have a nice deal on an apartment in Mesquite that i will take if the school system is better. Yes. I know of the 40 minute drive from Irving to Mesquite. My husband drives that long to get to work already. But we're looking at school systems right now.
I've done a lot of research on schools in Irving as we recently purchased a home there. It all depends on which area of Irving. If it's southern Irving, then the schools are zoned to Irving ISD which is not very good. However, if you're in Las Colinas in northern Irving or Valley Ranch area, then most the the neighborhoods are zoned to the C-FB ISB which include very good schools. Las Colinas and La Vallita Elementary are exemplary, Bush Middle school has a great reputation, and Ranchview HS has a great IB program.

I don't know much about Mesquite. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
785 posts, read 1,772,590 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingme View Post
Mesquite or Irving? My job is in Irving buut i have a nice deal on an apartment in Mesquite that i will take if the school system is better. Yes. I know of the 40 minute drive from Irving to Mesquite. My husband drives that long to get to work already. But we're looking at school systems right now.
You do not want to drive from Mesquite to Irving on a daily basis. So go with Irving.(preferably the northern side)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
 
690 posts, read 785,573 times
Reputation: 526
My 2 cents worth. "Las Colinas" portion of Irving, good schools, amenities, close to everything, easy commutes.
The drive from Irving to dallas or dallas to mesquite alone would be the decision maker.

Last edited by RockyJoe817; 01-25-2012 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: correcting my wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX & AL Gulf Coast
4,225 posts, read 5,582,216 times
Reputation: 17375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtransplant189 View Post
I've done a lot of research on schools in Irving as we recently purchased a home there. It all depends on which area of Irving. If it's southern Irving, then the schools are zoned to Irving ISD which is not very good. However, if you're in Las Colinas in northern Irving or Valley Ranch area, then most the the neighborhoods are zoned to the C-FB ISB which include very good schools. Las Colinas and La Vallita Elementary are exemplary, Bush Middle school has a great reputation, and Ranchview HS has a great IB program.

I don't know much about Mesquite. Hope this helps.
.
The Las Colinas area of Irving is served by both the Carrollton-Farmers Branch (CFBISD) and Irving ISD, while the Valley Ranch area is served by the Coppell ISD from I-635 north and MacArthur Blvd west and CFBISD from I-635 north and MacArthur Blvd east.

An apartment in the Valley Ranch Area of Irving west of MacArthur Blvd and north of I-635 would be ideal as the Coppell ISD is one of the top school districts in the DFW area.

.


Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-25-2012 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: updated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM
 
15,968 posts, read 25,397,716 times
Reputation: 5899
Another alternative would be the W.T. White cluster in NW Dallas:

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0.../White2011.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
 
3,680 posts, read 7,461,065 times
Reputation: 1627
I live in Mesquite and once worked in Irving. Your commute is going to be more than 40 minutes if you work normal working hours. Mesquite has good schools and some bad ones. They want compare with the ones in North Irving. If your job is in Irving I would suggest you move to North Irving/Los Colinas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM
 
14,555 posts, read 26,987,203 times
Reputation: 5039
I can't imagine any apt "deal" that would be worth making that drive and being in Mesquite schools vs some that you could choose if you lived closer to your job
and you don't even need north Irving--
Grapevine-Colleyville, ISD, HEB ISD, Lewisville ISD are all options depending on your price point
if you are considerting living in apt when you have school age children then you probably have low price point--which might mean Las Colinas area is too expensive...
you did not give price so it is moot...
but working in Irving and living in Mesquite would NOT be an option that most anyone who knows both areas could consider a good choice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,823 posts, read 9,522,658 times
Reputation: 6499
Just reiterating what others have posted. Mesquite Isd and Irving Isd are very equivalent. However Irving is served by three different school districts depending upon where in Irving you are. What is your budget and what kind of living space are you hoping for? Let us know and we will get busy trying to see if we can make suggestions that make sense for your commute and school needs....since you will be renting, it is not practical for you to live that far from you children's school when there are so many options in the Irving area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM
 
34 posts, read 14,204 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Just reiterating what others have posted. Mesquite Isd and Irving Isd are very equivalent. However Irving is served by three different school districts depending upon where in Irving you are. What is your budget and what kind of living space are you hoping for? Let us know and we will get busy trying to see if we can make suggestions that make sense for your commute and school needs....since you will be renting, it is not practical for you to live that far from you children's school when there are so many options in the Irving area.
Im looking to spend about $800 a month on a 2 bedroom apartment. I found one in Irving that does second chance leasing( i have an eviction from 2009) but they only have 1 left and that means we would have to send a money order in and hope for the best. Were having a hard time finding another one. Even though were only looking for a 6 month lease and are paying the whole lease upfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top