U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM

23 posts, read 35,090 times

Advertisements

We are currently in Kingwood and are planning to move to Dallas this coming summer.Would like to know which is a better option for settling down(we are planning to buy a house)?Some of my friends suggest checking out Dallas suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 05:43 PM

2,269 posts, read 5,688,061 times
This should probably go in the Dallas forum. http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/

Old 01-25-2012, 05:56 PM

23 posts, read 35,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
This should probably go in the Dallas forum. http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/

Actually you are right.This belongs to Dallas forum but I m trying to find out the comparison between the two cities as I have just moved to Kingwood from east coast.So I m just considering the possibility of setting down in either of one(Houston or Dallas).

Old 01-25-2012, 05:59 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,083,651 times
I visited Grapevine recently and while I only saw a limited area of it, their historic downtown was very pleasant.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 5,688,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safri View Post
Actually you are right.This belongs to Dallas forum but I m trying to find out the comparison between the two cities as I have just moved to Kingwood from east coast.So I m just considering the possibility of setting down in either of one(Houston or Dallas).
I see. Well, nothing around Dallas is like Kingwood that I know of (regarding trees, etc). But that doesn't mean there aren't really nice areas.

Where will you be working? Grapevine is a very nice suburb. Colleyville and South Lake are $$$. Plano is nice, but has a reputation for being very snobbish and arrogant, and is also $$$. I think Richardson and Garland are nice. I grew up in Ft. Worth and don't know too much specifically about Dallas' suburbs.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM

9,274 posts, read 22,859,872 times
OMG... just like the Houston burbs..Southlake and Plano aren't some super rich haven, you can find anything from UNDER 100,000 and up. Sheesh.Same exact schools as the million dollar homes..Just like all major cities,you can't do that in closer/urban Dallas.

Now, as to trees, even crappy pines...good luck with that.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,083,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
OMG... just like the Houston burbs..Southlake and Plano aren't some super rich haven, you can find anything from UNDER 100,000 and up. Sheesh.Same exact schools as the million dollar homes..Just like all major cities,you can't do that in closer/urban Dallas.
EasilyAmused hates the 'burbs...we get it.

Not linking the source but easily found via Google:

"In December 2008, Forbes.com named Southlake the most affluent neighborhood in the United States based on average median household income estimates. In 2009, Southlake's zip code, 76092, was ranked as the richest zip code in the United States with a population between 10,000-25,000 people. The average home in Southlake costs around $630,000 and has 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and around 4,000 square feet."

Old 01-25-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
EasilyAmused hates the 'burbs...we get it.

Not linking the source but easily found via Google:

"In December 2008, Forbes.com named Southlake the most affluent neighborhood in the United States based on average median household income estimates. In 2009, Southlake's zip code, 76092, was ranked as the richest zip code in the United States with a population between 10,000-25,000 people. The average home in Southlake costs around $630,000 and has 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and around 4,000 square feet."
No, what I have objection too is that some post as if specific burbs are held as some sort of goal, as unattainable to the average person, when people are trying to buy in them. The irony is that they were created for those on all budgets, that in fact is why they exist. ALL price ranges are available in them, with the same schools and "amenities." The OP will find everything very similar to the Kingwood layout, just the terrain will be different.

People will say Burb X is $$$$, when in fact homes can be bought for under 100k. All it takes is a real estate search engine.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:06 PM

1,195 posts, read 2,909,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
No, what I have objection too is that some post as if specific burbs are held as some sort of goal, as unattainable to the average person, when people are trying to buy in them.
Funny. How about those people that promote that armpit section of I-10 and the beltway (east Katy, for all practical purposes) like it is some sort of "goal", as unattainable to the average person, when people try to buy in there.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Funny. How about those people that promote that armpit section of I-10 and the beltway (east Katy, for all practical purposes) like it is some sort of "goal", as unattainable to the average person, when people try to buy in them.
And a Woodlands builder rears his head.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or