U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM

110 posts, read 201,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0blue View Post
i'd say neither, go north of the trinity.

BUT, if it wasn't an option, i'd say north oak cliff (duncanville/cedar hill is basically south oak cliff)
Firstly, why recommend north of the Trinity knowing full well what the areas are the OP is asking about?

Secondly, Duncanville and Cedar Hill have virtually nothing in common with South Oak Cliff other than proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:10 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0blue View Post
i'd say neither, go north of the trinity.

BUT, if it wasn't an option, i'd say north oak cliff (duncanville/cedar hill is basically south oak cliff)
Have you ever been to Cedar Hill?! It has virtually nothing in common with SOC except they're both south of the trinity. What a bizarre comment.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Have you ever been to Cedar Hill?! It has virtually nothing in common with SOC except they're both south of the trinity. What a bizarre comment.
Copycat j/k

Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM

288 posts, read 397,738 times
That's why we are here. To stop these people from distorting areas of Dallas and Dallas County that may be of interest to prospective buyers. Comments like that on boards like this is where a lot of people got their erroneous opinion in the first place.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
That's why we are here. To stop these people from distorting areas of Dallas and Dallas County that may be of interest to prospective buyers. Comments like that on boards like this is where a lot of people got their erroneous opinion in the first place.
And this incomprehensible phenomenon is not limited to the northern burbs. A couple of years ago I was with some friends at a bar in Uptown. When talking to some Uptowners I didn't know, I was asked where I live. My response of "East Dallas" was met with such aghast faces that I had to stifle my laughter. I was then instructed by them to say "Lakewood" (even though I don't live in Lakewood) because people interpret "East Dallas" as Mesquite. What on Earth?

My advice is always to take hearsay with an enormous grain of salt, explore the area on your own, and make up your mind for yourself.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
Quote:
Exactly what I was trying to say on this thread: Disd approves longer work day for teachers

I ran into some people from Southlake in the bar at the Melrose Hotel a year or so ago (stop me if I've told this before! LOL). They asked me where I was from and I said "Lakewood". They seemed puzzled so I said, "you know, between downtown and White Rock Lake". The next comment was "GHETTO!".

I was TRYING to be polite so I just said we have a lot of people with money there and it was the choice of H. L. Hunt (world's richest man in the 50s-70s) and Stanley Marcus. They were like, "Who?". So I asked, "well have you heard of Neiman-Marcus?" - then I just turned away and started talking to my friends.

I should have just said East Dallas in the first place! That's what a lot of us like to do, especially if it's going to freak out somebody from CoCo.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,249,110 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100 percent. The more posters we have who actually live in the southern suburbs, the better. I am so tired of ignorant generalizations being made about our communities.

I'm not surprised by xen0blue's post. He occasionally drops in to bash the southern suburbs, especially Duncanville, and has been doing so for several years now. Whenever I see his posts on any thread regarding the southern suburbs, I know there will either be a generic "Stay north of the Trinity" comment or a comparison to South Oak Cliff in a feeble attempt to act as if there is no difference between the two areas.

Last edited by Acntx; 01-30-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,402,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Exactly what I was trying to say on this thread: Disd approves longer work day for teachers

I ran into some people from Southlake in the bar at the Melrose Hotel a year or so ago (stop me if I've told this before! LOL). They asked me where I was from and I said "Lakewood". They seemed puzzled so I said, "you know, between downtown and White Rock Lake". The next comment was "GHETTO!".

I was TRYING to be polite so I just said we have a lot of people with money there and it was the choice of H. L. Hunt (world's richest man in the 50s-70s) and Stanley Marcus. They were like, "Who?". So I asked, "well have you heard of Neiman-Marcus?" - then I just turned away and started talking to my friends.

I should have just said East Dallas in the first place! That's what a lot of us like to do, especially if it's going to freak out somebody from CoCo.
I wouldn't call Lakewood "Ghetto". A more apt adjective would be "pretentious". Now, The Park Cities, on the other hand....definitely "G-H-E-T-T-O".

Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,305,546 times
The commute, when you're heading south, is different than the commute heading north. Once you pass the exchanges, heading south, you're free and clear. I have a 30 minute IN commute, going to just north of downtown north. I have a 45 minute commute going home. I live 32 miles from work, SOUTH of Dallas (and Duncanville). I work with people who have half the commute in miles, but the same or greater commute in time that live NORTH.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:04 AM

9,272 posts, read 5,781,633 times
If it were me, I'd feel more comfortable investing in a North Oak Cliff house. There is nothing wrong with the two other places you mentioned, it's just that more people seem to be moving into NOC. It's a hot area right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or