U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,682,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplindley View Post
North Oak Cliff has a greater potential of increased land value, which is what you're really looking for. It also has a high demand for renters. I don't think its much of a choice, even though I'm sure Duncanville is a lovely place to live.

One of the things that keeps prices down in that area is difficult access from north of the Trinity. However, access to NOC is only going to improve with the new bridge. There are all sorts of development projects that have broken ground in NOC because of that. In the coming years, many more shops, restaurants, apartments and grocery stores will be popping up and are under development. It's becoming a "hip" place to live. Much of the same thing happened 30 years ago in Oak Lawn and Uptown.

Uptown, like NOC of a few years ago, had a bad reputation for most of Dallas' history. Now Uptown has a Ritz-Carlton. NOC's proximity to downtown and development interest are very similar to the Uptown area a few decades ago.
Thank you for that insight, from a potential Metroplexian! It pretty much fits what I've seen and what little I know about the area's recent history. Will be very interesting to see what happens in the next few years!

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 02-02-2012 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,811,188 times
Actually there will be three new bridges (Margaret Hunt Hill opens in March - extension of Woodall Rodgers Freeway to Singleton and I-30 and I-35 bridges will be rebuilt in the next few years). The old Continental Bridge will become a linear park ala the High Line in NYC . Also there's a plan to bring streetcars/trolley from downtown to Lake Cliff Park.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,942,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Also there's a plan to bring streetcars/trolley from downtown to Lake Cliff Park.
I'm really hoping this happens. Lake Cliff Park is so beautiful, and it has a rocketship playground, can't be many of those left. I run into people all the time who have never been there or heard of it. Even people, I am ashamed to say, from my own neighborhood.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:13 AM

17 posts, read 34,176 times
The nicest part of Duncanville is in the northwest corner. West of Cedar Ridge, and north of Wheatland, near the high school. Conversely, be careful once you go east (across Cockrell Hill Rd.), near the intersection of I-20 and US-67, back into southern Dallas. That area is pretty shabby.

In Cedar Hill, you want to be west of US-67, and if possible, south of Belt Line (FM 1382). Close to the lake is obviously good.

In North Oak Cliff, the best is north of Colorado.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:59 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,255,059 times
I'm not sure you can get anything for $200K north of Colorado in Oak Cliff; that's the heart of Kessler Park. They might try looking a little south in Kidd Springs.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM

23,624 posts, read 31,208,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
In terms of the southern suburbs, I'd opt for the aforementioned Cedar Hill rather than Duncanville, though they're right next to each other. There's more going on there and, if the schools are better, then it's going to make it easier to sell/rent the place down the line.

But you're probably going to enjoy North Oak Cliff more, especially if the economy doesn't collapse and all the development that's been promised -- the expansion of Bishop Arts District and Tyler-Davis districts, redos of Davis Avenue, Fort Worth Avenue and Jefferson Blvd., the trolley from downtown to Methodist Hospital, the Collective retail/residential complex (where the Colorado Apartments stood), the Sylvan/Thirty retail/residential complex (across from the Belmont Hotel), and the businesses that will spring up in the next five years in West Dallas after the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge opens in March -- will only add to the area's value.

People who dismiss Oak Cliff's change as ephemera do so at their peril. They forget that 15-20 years ago, much of Uptown was not the yuppie utopia it is today. Now, except for the Freedman's Memorial (the African-American cemetery) and the Little Mexico Village apartments, there's little left of the area's history. Now, one could argue whether gentrification is for the best or not but there's no doubt it happened. Uptown is now built out and so now redevelopment is spreading north and east down Henderson in East Dallas, back into Deep Ellum, and across the Trinity into West Dallas and Oak Cliff.

I don't think Oak Cliff will go totally Uptown -- it covers a larger area and there seems to be a concerted effort to "Keep Oak Cliff Real" as the bumper sticker and T-shirts say -- but the tide seems to be inexorable.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been looking to possibly make a move and I've always liked the houses in NOC. I don't know much about it though. I guess it's time to make a trip down there again.

I love my neighborhood but I want to move up the ladder and if I'm going to move, I want to get into an area where my property will appreciate more quickly.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,811,188 times
Story in today's Dallas Morning News:

Ideas for expanding streetcar lines already brewing in Dallas | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,186,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been looking to possibly make a move and I've always liked the houses in NOC. I don't know much about it though. I guess it's time to make a trip down there again.

I love my neighborhood but I want to move up the ladder and if I'm going to move, I want to get into an area where my property will appreciate more quickly.
Here's an area on the upward swing. Enchanting Elmwood | Advocate Magazine It's a bit more south in the OC, though.

A good resource: Go Oak Cliff

And here's a good map: Map: The neighborhoods of Oak Cliff | Advocate Magazine
I had a friend in Ravinia Heights - loved that area! Another friend in The Dells - kinda too far west, but some interesting homes along the creek. I know a couple of people in Stevens Park Village - great area. I've been wanting to check out Beckley Club Estates.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,367,529 times
Cedar Hill is a nice area to live.

I like the fact its near those pretty impressive hills in Southeastern Dallas County. Almost like a miniature Texas Hill Country. There are also lots of cedar trees as the name suggests. It looks like a bunch of baby Christmas trees dotting the landscape.

Duncanville is ghetto don't even think about that dumpy place.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 3,253,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Cedar Hill is a nice area to live.

I like the fact its near those pretty impressive hills in Southeastern Dallas County. Almost like a miniature Texas Hill Country. There are also lots of cedar trees as the name suggests. It looks like a bunch of baby Christmas trees dotting the landscape.

Duncanville is ghetto don't even think about that dumpy place.
I think you mean southwestern, not southeastern Dallas County when referring to the impressive hills.

What exactly makes Duncanville "ghetto" and "dumpy." It is an inner-ring suburb that it pretty much built out and experienced most of its development during the 1960s through the 1980s. There aren't tons of shiny new subdivisions there, but the city does have some decent, mature neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or