U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 12,572 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to purchase a home around $200,000. One of us works downtown and one of us works in the Duncanville/Cedar Hill area.

We don't have the time/resources to do any upgrading ourselves, so we'd like to purchase something that is currently "comfortable" to live in (as opposed to a home with a lot of "potential").

With the same ballpark of money, we can get a lot of home in Duncanville or Cedar Hill, or a small, but unique home in Kessler/Stevens Park.

Which is going to be a better investment? If we move in 3-5 years and want to keep this house as an investment property that we rent, which area would be more "rent-able?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:46 PM

967 posts, read 1,556,123 times
North Oak Cliff would be a better investment than Duncanville or Cedar Hill.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:11 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
I am not an expert on those areas but I would say North Oak Cliff by comparing it to buying a home in East Dallas vs. Garland/Sachse/Wylie.

Of course there are a lot of variables within North Oak Cliff itself you should consider when narrowing it down.

The area has a ever-growing crowd of residents who are passionate about the area and they are enterpreneurial, artsy and hip. They also tend to be younger. They have a good elementary, Rosemont, and Greiner Middle School has special programs and curriculum. They are also very close to SEM and TAG magnets at Townview High. I have a feeling they will be creating some new school alternatives as well.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,001,173 times
Make sure to check school ratings and use family watch dog to locate offenders.I would suggest a suburb with a decent drive to downtown Dallas.Also think about Property tax rates. For example...

PLANO- 2.19 %

DALLAS 9 NORTH OAK CLIFF ) - 2.71 %

CEDAR HILL - 2.88 %

Old 01-27-2012, 04:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,031,028 times
Definitely N. Oak Cliff. You're not going to find anything in Kessler Park or Stevens Park for $200k, but you will in Kessler Plaza or Stevens Park Village.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,938,506 times
N. Oak Cliff would certainly have the better investment potential.

I wouldn't make the decision just on that though. Do you like quieter Suburban living where people keep a little more to themselves - by which I don't mean unfriendly just less social interaction, less likely to be neighbors walking the streets, meting up with each other randomly. Local shopping is strip mall based, and there are lots of clean comfortable chain restaurants, but not as many local restaurants or shops? Then a Dallas suburb is for you.

Do you like a more active scene? More people out and about, waling dogs, walking to the park, sitting around on porches talking and having drinks with friends? Do you not mind a longer drive to get to a Wal-Mart, Target, Chilis, or Fridays, but want a lot of smaller locally owned restaurants and shops? Do you favour an older walkable shopping district liek Bishop Arts, to a mall or strip mall (knowing that it gets HOT here in the summer? Then N. Oak Cliff (which as Lakewooder says is much like our area in East Dallas) is for you.

Go to both, spend a day. It is really unlikely you will find yourself not drawn significantly more to one than the other. Myself I love N. Oak Cliff, though be aware that schools can be an issue. I am the type of person that hates suburban living though. I don't mean that as a judgement. Lots of people hate urban living. That is my point. 5 years is a looong time to end up in a place, and a lifestyle you don't like.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,572 times
Thanks for the replies. It seems to me that both areas have just about hit "rock bottom" as far as pricing goes. Does anybody know if either area will be easier to find renters in (in five years)?

Even if North Oak Cliff is a better investment in the long-run, if I can't find a renter to pay toward the mortgage, then I'm losing money.

Any insight there?

Does it justify a purchase further south if I can get a lot more house for the same price? If the market can't really decrease any further, is there any sense in buying a 5 bedroom house in Duncanville for the same price as a 2/3 bedroom house in North Oak Cliff?

I'd love to hear an advocate for Duncanville, just to balance the argument. But if all signs point to North Oak Cliff, then I guess I have my answer.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,938,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyingindallas View Post
Thanks for the replies. It seems to me that both areas have just about hit "rock bottom" as far as pricing goes. Does anybody know if either area will be easier to find renters in (in five years)?

Even if North Oak Cliff is a better investment in the long-run, if I can't find a renter to pay toward the mortgage, then I'm losing money.

Any insight there?

Does it justify a purchase further south if I can get a lot more house for the same price? If the market can't really decrease any further, is there any sense in buying a 5 bedroom house in Duncanville for the same price as a 2/3 bedroom house in North Oak Cliff?

I'd love to hear an advocate for Duncanville, just to balance the argument. But if all signs point to North Oak Cliff, then I guess I have my answer.

North Oak Cliff is an area on the rise. Duncanville is not. Lots of young people and young married couples look for places to rent in North Oak Cliff, particularly the creative classes. It will be easier to rent a house there. It will also be easier to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom house than a 5 bedroom.
I'm not sure where you get the idea that North Oak Cliff has hit rock bottom. North Oak Cliff is in the acendency. People who wouldn't have gone to Oak Cliff a few years ago, now regularly breakfast at Oddfellows or buy pastries at Rush, or Chocolate at Dude, Sweet Chocolate. It will continue to appreciate for the foreseeable future. I don't think Duncanville will move a whole lot either way.

Is the greater space worth it? Depends. Do you need the space? If not do you want it? If so do you want it enough to pay to cool it in the summer, and have a harder time leasing it later? If the answers is yes, then it makes sense.

The to places really couldn't be much more different. You will be living there, I really do STRONGLY urge you to visit both and see which you like. I imagine you will find yourself drawn to one or the other.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,249,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyingindallas View Post

Please keep in mind that the southern suburbs of Dallas are under-represented on this forum. There are only a few of us who post on a regular basis, none of whom live in Duncanville. By contrast, there are many posters who live in the city of Dallas and other suburban areas.

Duncanville is very suburban in character, so if you are okay with that then it might be an acceptable choice. The city did much of its growing in the 1970s and 1980s and is virtually built-out today. The housing stock is older on average than some of the neighboring communities like Cedar Hill, but it does have nice, well-kept neighborhoods that fall within your price range.

If you prefer more urban environment and lifestyle, then I would certainly go with North Oak Cliff.

Last edited by Acntx; 01-27-2012 at 10:54 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Make sure to check school ratings and use family watch dog to locate offenders.I would suggest a suburb with a decent drive to downtown Dallas.Also think about Property tax rates. For example...

PLANO- 2.19 %

DALLAS 9 NORTH OAK CLIFF ) - 2.71 %

CEDAR HILL - 2.88 %
1. Why would you even post Plano's rate? It's irrelevant and 20-30 miles in the wrong direction.

2. Yes, they should use family watch dog to locate sex offenders because they would learn that Cedar Hill has the lowest % per capita of all suburbs except for tiny Westlake, IIRC. (Even less than your Prosper!!) Funny how you've never suggested someone looking in Frisco or McKinney or Prosper check the sex offender registry even though you're more likely to find one in those areas than a Cedar Hill. Nice try taking a dig at the southern sector though...

OP, I would personally go with North Oak Cliff if you are concerned about value potential as its a hot, growing in-town area getting a lot of capital investment. You should be able to find a cute, nicely maintained/ remodeled cottage or bungalow in Winnetka Heights, Stevens Park, Kessler Plaza, etc. As Lakewooder said, Rosemont Elementary is very desirable so finding a home in that zone would be an extra bonus.

Cedar Hill is an awesome suburb. Their Uptown Village development is awesome and it's the only area suburb that is nearly a perfect balance of 1/3 each black, white, & Hispanic. It's probably the largest collection of middle & upper middle class backs in the metroplex. Schools are hit & miss- some of the elementaries are great; others are only ok. You would definitely get a newer and bigger home in Cedar Hill vs NOC, but you will see the NOC homes hold & grow in value faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or