U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,604 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I was able to find a really good deal on a very large and nice-looking apartment in Plano, so I think I'll be sticking to that lease for the first year or so. After that, when I get to know the area in Uptown Dallas a little better, I'll pick out a new place to lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,402,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2012 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I was able to find a really good deal on a very large and nice-looking apartment in Plano, so I think I'll be sticking to that lease for the first year or so. After that, when I get to know the area in Uptown Dallas a little better, I'll pick out a new place to lease.
Trust me, neither place(Dallas or Plano), is much reason to worry over. They're both bland in their own ways. Welcome...

Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,238 times
You sound like you've already discovered the good about Plano. It gets a bad rap and some of that is well deserved, but 75093 and Preston around Whole Foods is a super area to live.

Uptown Dallas is kind of vile and pretentious and overpriced. You sound like you might be a Lower Greenville type of gal. A trip over to Fort Worth is a must, it's a whole other wonderful world. I'm way too old for clubbing, but the gay bars are some of the best in the country -- straight dudes hit them up to pick up fun, gorgeous straight chicks who have more brains than silicone. Head north to the Denton clubs on the weekend if you like good music. Denton is seriously happening.

As for outdoor stuff, look up Campbell Park at Campbell and Hillcrest. It's south of Plano, but it's AWESOME and some very safe biking and walking and blading. Miles of trails underneath the giant power lines might sound boring, but it's really wonderful.

One thing about Plano, never ever ever drive drunk -- Plano cops are psychic about drunk drivers. And never *ever* get caught smoking anything you might get by with smoking in Austin.

P.S. If you've never done it, a weekend in Austin. Stay downtown.

PPS I just read you're from the OC. I kind of liked Santa Ana near the beaches. Plano is not too far off from OC. Think of Fort Worth as a little like Long Beach. Denton or Lower Greenville would be close to Los Feliz. Uptown would be, like, totally The Grove Oh My God! Beverly and Wilshire. There's a block of Cedar Springs that's kind of like WeHo but with a little less frosted tips. All of this on a much smaller scale and even though traffic can be bad here, it's not a two hour drive just to go down the street. If you survived the 405, you probably won't blink at rush hour here. And definitely the Austin thing, it's not even up for debate --make a BFF in Austin ASAP.

Last edited by gayborhood75248; 02-01-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM

134 posts, read 458,575 times
Uptown..... oh how I miss those days. So fun..... Just a walk away from about anything and everything from bars, to shops, to groceries, to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You can live in Dallas (Uptown or the Village apartments) and enjoy a fairly quick 15-25 minute reverse commute to Plano via US75 or the Dallas North Tollroad (depending on if your office is east side or west side).

City life is far more fun & exciting than family-focused Plano. Even the Shops @ Legacy bars in Plano are more centered around divorcees and 30-40's than 20-something singles.

Dallas itself has dozens of froyo shops, a Farmer's market downtown as well as Whole Foods & Central Market for healthy/organic foods, running trails (Katy Trail & White Rock Lake), the whole arts district downtown (museums, opera, musicals, theatre, symphony) and smaller arts venues in Uptown & Deep Ellum.

Many of the restaurants & bars are "neighborhood hangouts"- places where it's perfectly normal & acceptable to walk in by yourself and make friends & meet neighbors. There are also tons of young professionals groups that facilitate social events and also support your interests. There's the Élan Circle for the Symphony, the Junior Associates Circle for the Dallas Museum of Art, etc

Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 11,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The Dallas Sierra Club has fun activities and many are singles-focused: Dallas Sierra Club

You can also go to meetup.com and seek out activities that interest you: Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup
I'd say your best chance in finding people to hang out with will be Meetup.com. There's tons of events going on. For Organic foods we go WholeFoods sometimes but our favorite and very affordable is Sprouts. Sorry no Trader's Joes here in Texas.

Best burgers in Dallas, go to Jakes.

Hope it helps!
Juan

Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,630,498 times
Welcome.

I live in Plano myself, and it really isn't as bad as some make it out. Depending slightly on where in Plano you live, there's access to great grocery stores (you already mentioned Whole Foods and Central Market, I go to the latter a couple of times a week, Sprouts farmers market is good for significantly cheaper produce, they don't charge $2/ea for a bell pepper, like they do at CM), seeing as you have to drive to get anywhere in the metroplex anyway, I've found Plano to be located perfectly, downtown McKinney, with it's local businesses is close enough to drive to, same goes for anything south, including uptown.

Any other city and I'd probably prefer to live much closer to the downtown area, and uptown is nice, but the price difference in living costs are pretty massive, and seeing as driving is what you need to do to get most places, location doesn't matter as much, but yes, Plano is quiet.

As for bars, I find the whole shops at Legacy area way too preppy, so I tend to avoid it all together, if you like laid back places with a friendly feel to it where you feel welcome, try Vickery Park in downtown Plano, great food, great atmosphere and even when it's packed it newer gets out of hand.

Tip for a great breakfast place (they also serve lunch and dinner items) would be Daisy's more or less across the street from Vickery Park, food is great, service is great and prices are more than reasonable.

That's pretty much my plug over and done with, let me know if you have any specific questions.

And welcome again, from a 26 year old, Plano resident.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 PM

718 posts, read 1,094,405 times
The Vickery Park is a nice place , we also go there time to time .It is more laid back . One of my favorite restaurant for casual food is just the opposite side of the street, The Urban Crust . They have the best European style wood fire pizzas . The patrons are usually younger on weekends , they have a nice roof bar.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:27 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,101,075 times
Hi Jay2012, welcome to the forum. Don't be too put off by the "Plano hate" you may have read about on these forums. It's always the same people saying the same things.

Plano has a lot to offer for both families and young single professionals. I live in McKinney, but my wife is 26 and works in Plano. Several of her coworkers are in their mid-late 20's, as well as a lot of friends we have that reside in Plano, Frisco, or McKinney, that are all in their 20's.

To put it simply, if you want nightlife and opportunities to meet people, you can easily find it in Plano, while also having a lot of organic stores and such close by.

There are Happy Hour's going on all the time in Plano, and if you'll be working with coworkers who go out for a glass of wine or a beer after work, then you should have no trouble meeting people.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,645,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2012 View Post

Things I WANT to check out:
- I've never been in the bar scene before, but would like to give it a shot...not sure how to start!
- New ways to meet people? I'm going to have a full-time day job, and I also run my own side business at the same time...but outside of that I'm usually free on weeknights and weekends to get a life
- New ways to enjoy the community
Hum...the bar scene can be good but can also be bad. There is all kinds of savory characters looking for one night stands etc. So I wouldn't attemp something being a newbie without someone I trusted.

Anyhow, my best advice is Uptown. This area is full of people just like your self, young 20's something, professional, into fitnesses etc. Not sure why I live there, I like fast food and pushing forty lol Anyhow, there is plenty of nice independent clubs, restaurants, and gyms. It's relatively safe as well, yousee people, women out running or walking their dogs all the time...even late. When Friday rolls around, the area comes alive with young people walking the streets etc.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 AM

350 posts, read 720,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Hi Jay2012, welcome to the forum. Don't be too put off by the "Plano hate" you may have read about on these forums. It's always the same people saying the same things.
And if you always chime in and push the suburbs on people, wouldn't you also fall into the "same people saying the same things" category?

Plano is NOT a good fit for a single twenty something that wants to have a social life. You will have to commute every time you want to go to a cool bar or restaurant that people our age actually want to go to. Don't let the old timers on here fool you, out there we're talking chain restaurant happy hour and Unicards. Google what a Unicard is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or