U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 12:20 PM

718 posts, read 1,095,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
And if you always chime in and push the suburbs on people, wouldn't you also fall into the "same people saying the same things" category?

Plano is NOT a good fit for a single twenty something that wants to have a social life. You will have to commute every time you want to go to a cool bar or restaurant that people our age actually want to go to. Don't let the old timers on here fool you, out there we're talking chain restaurant happy hour and Unicards. Google what a Unicard is.
Unicard?????.........how old are you ? Those have disappeared years and years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,128,624 times
Quote:
And if you always chime in and push the suburbs on people, wouldn't you also fall into the "same people saying the same things" category?

Plano is NOT a good fit for a single twenty something that wants to have a social life. You will have to commute every time you want to go to a cool bar or restaurant that people our age actually want to go to. Don't let the old timers on here fool you, out there we're talking chain restaurant happy hour and Unicards. Google what a Unicard is.
Please post the relevant links to where I "always chime in and push the suburbs" on people.

I speak from experience, from having lived in the Uptown area AND the Plano area for well over 20 years. (In fact, I still have a Unicard, lifetime platinum membership.) No one has asked to see it for... about 10 years I would say. The fact that you would bring it up means you really don't know the nightlife of the area you are talking about.

For a single 20 something looking to go out every night and meet people in bars and clubs, Uptown is the place to be. Been there, done that. For a single 20 something who says that she's NEVER BEEN IN THE BAR SCENE...

Plano is well suited for someone who wants the ability to go out and have a nightlife from time to time, while offering a lot of other things to do as well.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:58 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,028,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbelle72 View Post
Plano is always disrespected on this forum. It's really quite unfair, because this city has some great things to offer.

I live in Plano, just west of 75/Central, and yes it is centered more around families than Uptown. It's not for everyone, but Plano does have a wonderful hike/bike trail system. We have real trees, not just sticks. Check out the Chisholm Trail, Oak Point(near the Collin College), Bob Woodruff and Arbor Hills for great running trails. Plano has wonderful places for tennis as well, though not sure about the "wall" you mentioned. We also have a thriving downtown area with a small farmer's market, great restaurants and pubs. It's a small area, but we like it.

Plano may not be the best place for 20 something singles, but it's not the dull, parched, lonely desert people make it out to be.
Want to second this post. Arbor Hills is in Plano, and has a lot of trails where people hike/walk/run. Plus there are many young people in Plano, it's not just older folk.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:04 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,709,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Want to second this post. Arbor Hills is in Plano, and has a lot of trails where people hike/walk/run. Plus there are many young people in Plano, it's not just older folk.
Yep, I agree with you. The OP has already determined where s/he will live initially. And, being new to the area, I think selecting a place near work in an excellent community such as Plano is a wise choice. The question posed on this thread was not asking where to live but the predictable cadre of responders chose to bash Plano instead of responding to the question.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM

5,959 posts, read 7,506,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Yep, I agree with you. The OP has already determined where s/he will live initially. And, being new to the area, I think selecting a place near work in an excellent community such as Plano is a wise choice. The question posed on this thread was not asking where to live but the predictable cadre of responders chose to bash Plano instead of responding to the question.
Ive lived in several different parts of the country and recently moved to Plano. We are a suburban lifestyle family without kids. We prefer Plano to any other place we have lived. The things I want to do regulary are all next by including good restaurants and friendly neighbors with diversive personal and work experiences. Plano isnt for everyone nor is Uptown. I am pleased that those who dont like Plano dont live here. If I lived in Uptown Id be bashing it which is why I dont live there...I know what I like in a place to live and know not everyone is looking for the same things.. diversity is great

Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 PM

350 posts, read 721,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
Unicard?????.........how old are you ? Those have disappeared years and years ago
Unicard Systems, Inc.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,403,324 times
If you work in Plano...live in Plano...you can always take a train or drive into Dallas(the larger suburb) anytime you wish. Being closer to work=less stress of getting there...less stress of getting there=happier you. Being able to walk around Uptown=who cares....

Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 AM

718 posts, read 1,095,948 times
Quote:
I know what Unicard is , I had one 15 years ago , but we stop using it about 10 years ago , you don't need one to consume alcohol in Collin county.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:39 AM

4,464 posts, read 9,643,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
If you work in Plano...live in Plano...you can always take a train or drive into Dallas(the larger suburb) anytime you wish. Being closer to work=less stress of getting there...less stress of getting there=happier you. Being able to walk around Uptown=who cares....
Not to mention that you can walk around Uptown whenever you want if you live in Plano too, it's a 20 minute drive, and I've done it plenty of times.

It's almost as nice as walking around Deep Ellum.

EDIT: And regarding being close to work...

It makes all the difference in the world. Back when I was here on a visitor visa in 2009, the GF (now Wife) worked roughly 45 minutes away from our apartment, and it was just a drag, so very little time left during weekdays, with her new job she now works roughly 7 minutes away from the apartment and it makes all the difference in the world, everyone is happier all around and living in Plano, we're still close enough to all the action if we'd want to get to it. (Either by DART or car)

I'd take a short commute everyday and a little longer of a drive when we want to go somewhere south of us over a daily 20-45 minute commute everyday, just to be close to the action when you come home every day of the week.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 PM

43 posts, read 87,752 times
Since you like to play tennis, check out Highpoint Tennis Center in Plano. High Point Park Tennis Center It's a large public tennis facility with over 20 courts. Try joining a weekend league or taking a adult class and meet people that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or