U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,109,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
It's just odd that DFW is the only place in the world that I have seen compressed gas tanks lining the roads.
They have that in FL too, Jacksonville anyway. Very moist area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,793,609 times
LOL.It would take a big hole to make those tanks move. Most of them are chained down anyway.

I've seen a dive tank take off. It was pretty exciting for a a few seconds.

And there is a difference between gas and liquified gas.

As for flammable liquids. They can be pretty wild to deal with.

Boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,514,589 times
Quote:
It's just odd that DFW is the only place in the world that I have seen compressed gas tanks lining the roads.
As my link shows, they're in New York and Los Angeles too. They're probably in all cities with underground lines.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,245,618 times
Quote:
I have seen them in numerous states all over the U.S.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
LOL.It would take a big hole to make those tanks move. Most of them are chained down anyway.
It wouldn't take much of a hole. The boiling pressure of liquid nitrogen is extremely high at room temperature and even higher at our summer temperatures. (Technically, it's a critical fluid, not a liquid inside the tanks.) That little hole would quickly be ripped apart. I wouldn't want to be around when it happened. Luckily those tanks are pretty solid, but they're not impenetrable.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,245,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
It wouldn't take much of a hole. The boiling pressure of liquid nitrogen is extremely high at room temperature and even higher at our summer temperatures. (Technically, it's a critical fluid, not a liquid inside the tanks.) That little hole would quickly be ripped apart. I wouldn't want to be around when it happened. Luckily those tanks are pretty solid, but they're not impenetrable.
kenshi - don't be sticking your tongue (or any other body parts) on these frosty tanks to cool off in the summer.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
kenshi - don't be sticking your tongue (or any other body parts) on these frosty tanks to cool off in the summer.
Heh. They only develop frost when gas is coming out and mainly in the winter. I used to deal with similar tanks with liquid oxygen. When I started the day, there would be no frost at all but when I finished in winter, the top would be covered by a mound of "snow", my glove would stick to the valve, and I'd have to break the ice before I could turn it.

I still have a picture where I cut the top off a plastic bottle, put some liquid oxygen in it, and then put in a dial thermometer. The needle went past the lowest temperature and way into the hot temperatures. It also permanently screwed up the thermometer so it reads a very wrong temperature. I wouldn't stick my finger in it for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Nitrogen Gas Tanks on Plano Roadsides?-p092509144858.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or