U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 PM

39 posts, read 41,589 times

Advertisements

Anybody who doubts that DFW public schools can not compete with privates ... goggle Amy Chao. No, she didn't go to Jasper or Shepton ... girl went to Stinson-Murphy-Williams-PESH and took advantage of PISD's PACE & IB programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,184,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I"m sure the kids at TAMS are thrilled that you think they are all dorks. Wow.
They probably don't care. My son and his SEM friends have "nerd fest" on the weekends as get togethers. They know what they are and don't care what anyone thinks of their superior intelligence. :-)

Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM

105 posts, read 249,631 times
^Hahhaaha! I hear ya!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 PM

7,299 posts, read 8,140,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
They probably don't care. My son and his SEM friends have "nerd fest" on the weekends as get togethers. They know what they are and don't care what anyone thinks of their superior intelligence. :-)
Nerd Fest! Party On!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM

6 posts, read 17,198 times
HI all, thank you for sharing the information, very informative... like the spirited writing.

we are "public" school beleivers for now... if u have any new information on any charter or public school esp. "elementary" kindly do share. once again appreciate you sharing your wisdom, thanks you.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 PM

7 posts, read 8,082 times
I read all the posts here and everybody was talking about the advanced math classes for most part. All the information you shared is very useful. How about for the kids who want to pursue pre-med after high school? How and which high schools are preparing kids for this?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 AM

7,299 posts, read 8,140,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsstj20056 View Post
I read all the posts here and everybody was talking about the advanced math classes for most part. All the information you shared is very useful. How about for the kids who want to pursue pre-med after high school? How and which high schools are preparing kids for this?

My son is a college junior pre-med/BS Bio major. He went to Jesuit has a 4.0 and appears ready to do very well on the MCAT which he takes in about five weeks.

He is friends with several kids doing well within his program of the ones I have met - two are from Allen, one from Plano Sr., one from Plano West, one from Dallas WT White. A motivated kid can get the high schooling he needs at most any good school around here. He needs to dominate math, science and biology of course while still acing everything else as well. The bar to American doctors is very high.

Tid bits:
An important consideration regarding pre-med is the competition and raw numbers. At my son's university we were told 1,500-1,800 freshman kids declare via one major or another that they want to become doctors. Ultimately, 75 or 80 of those kids will get into med school. Documented, consistent community service is more or less required as well.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfw789 View Post
Anybody who doubts that DFW public schools can not compete with privates ... goggle Amy Chao. No, she didn't go to Jasper or Shepton ... girl went to Stinson-Murphy-Williams-PESH and took advantage of PISD's PACE & IB programs.
A PG kid with a very supportive family will do well in a Tier 1 district.

If you google around, you will find that most of the top PISD students get a lot of extra enrichment outside of school.

I would wager that 2/3 of the kids in Math Rocks went to chinese school and took singapore math from age 4 on.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:58 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,799,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
A motivated kid can get the high schooling he needs at most any good school around here. He needs to dominate math, science and biology of course while still acing everything else as well.
True.

Quote:
The bar to American doctors is very high.
However, the bar to American pre-med students is very LOW. Any bozo can walk into just about any college in America and declare themselves a pre-med student. This is in stark contrast to many other countries, where medical studies is a separate course of university study beginning at age 18 or 19 with extremely stringent admissions criteria.

Quote:
.... At my son's university we were told 1,500-1,800 freshman kids declare via one major or another that they want to become doctors. Ultimately, 75 or 80 of those kids will get into med school.
And, there we see the new position for the hurdle in the USA. Those from abroad need to be aware that the med school cutoff occurs at the END of the first 4 years of post-secondary schooling, not at the start, as in most of their home countries. It is the COLLEGE performance that will be judged, not the high school performance. Therefore, HS is relevant only as far as it "sets the plate" for college success.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:10 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,941,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsstj20056 View Post
My guess would be that the best option is this. School of Health Professions at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center / School of Health Professions at Yv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or