U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-30-2012, 02:34 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,019 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm finally wrapping up my long college "career" at OU and plan on moving to Dallas. My father lives in UP, cousin goes to SMU and is that area, and mother is over in Southlake.

I was wanting to find a high-rise looking over the skyline (view is important) down in Victory Park, Uptown, or the Park Cities area for about 1000-1500 a month. If anyone knows of any other areas that might have something sort of loft industrial style with nice big windows please let me know.

I could also possibly purchase something in the 160k range if it is something that needs to be fixed up and is otherwise well below market.

I would like for it to be a relatively safe area and not over run with drug dealers (I went and saw a set of condos in downtown recently and it did not seem like a place I would want to be stuck living.)

Thanks for the time everyone, frequently read on here but have never really needed to post. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 AM
 
1,188 posts, read 2,029,976 times
Reputation: 1382
Welcome (almost) to Dallas.

Have you searched this forum for Uptown, Victory Park, etc. I think you will find some good information in the previous threads. I do think you might have to up your budget to get all that you are looking for, in those areas.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
 
350 posts, read 725,009 times
Reputation: 514
It sounds like you're a little confused. You want a place in VP or Uptown that's a high rise building... but you want an industrial loft style? There's no lofts in any of the neighborhoods you specified and formerly industrial loft buildings are not high rise. Furthermore, you're not going to get anything with a view in those neighborhoods with your budget.

I'd recommend Deep Ellum, but it sounds like you've got some racial hangups regarding all the supposed "drug dealers" you saw Downtown.

In summary: What you're looking for doesn't exist, and if it did you couldn't afford it. And what you can afford, you have irrational preconceived notions about.

Good luck! :-P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,019 times
Reputation: 10
Sorry I shouldn't have said loft. Concrete floors are fine is more what I was saying I should have been more clear. And they aren't racial hangups at all. I see Preston Towers seems to be in the price range as does Cirque Victory Park. I also looked around Turtle Creek and it isn't overly expensive.

I had one of my internships with the DEA and made the mistake in living in an area in Oklahoma with a chronic meth problem. It has nothing to do with race (why did a comment on drug dealers bring about race?) and I was looking for alternatives to the areas I was mentioning as well. It has been my experience drug dealers bring about drug users drug users tend to like to break into cars and such for items that might be worth money for drugs. Sound logic, yes?

Third edit of the post, new terms, close to the areas I was looking at (forgot to mention turtle creek originally), with a view, rental price range up to 1700. Flexible on location as long as the crime rates are low.

Last edited by MrArmyAnt; 01-30-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,947 posts, read 18,816,412 times
Reputation: 7189
you could find an apartment the is loft like with concrete floors in you price range in Las Colinas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM
 
7,410 posts, read 8,248,409 times
Reputation: 5485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArmyAnt View Post
Sorry I shouldn't have said loft. Concrete floors are fine is more what I was saying I should have been more clear. And they aren't racial hangups at all. I see Preston Towers seems to be in the price range as does Cirque Victory Park. I also looked around Turtle Creek and it isn't overly expensive.

I had one of my internships with the DEA and made the mistake in living in an area in Oklahoma with a chronic meth problem. It has nothing to do with race (why did a comment on drug dealers bring about race?) and I was looking for alternatives to the areas I was mentioning as well. It has been my experience drug dealers bring about drug users drug users tend to like to break into cars and such for items that might be worth money for drugs. Sound logic, yes?

Third edit of the post, new terms, close to the areas I was looking at (forgot to mention turtle creek originally), with a view, rental price range up to 1700. Flexible on location as long as the crime rates are low.
I'll apologize for BigT3x his/her comment was out of line. Welcome to Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 PM
 
44 posts, read 101,898 times
Reputation: 85
Try The Lofts at Mockingbird Station.

The Lofts At Mockingbird Station Dallas Apartments - Apartments in Dallas, TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,019 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'll apologize for BigT3x his/her comment was out of line. Welcome to Texas!
No worries! I was born in Dallas and my family has been in the state since the Alamo was being built. Come summer I will be sprinting back to where I belong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
 
813 posts, read 1,777,604 times
Reputation: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArmyAnt View Post
No worries! I was born in Dallas and my family has been in the state since the Alamo was being built. Come summer I will be sprinting back to where I belong!
Ha! You remind me of my wife. Her grandfather, father, every uncle, every sister, went to UT Austin. She went for one year, then transferred to ARKANSAS!

That's got to be a sin in some quarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM
 
11,709 posts, read 21,396,086 times
Reputation: 10138
Check out Adam's Hat & other loft buildings in Deep Ellum, SouthSide on Lamar in the Cedars, the Wilson Building or Commerce Street lofts downtown, there's one industrial looking building in Uptown's State Thomas- think its 3001 Thomas? (right @ Hall). Also, Mockingbird Statioj by SMU is a good option.

The Turtle Creek high rises are more traditional / luxe than you're seeking as are most of Uptown in your price range. 1900 McKinney would work if you could find a steal. There are basically no high rises in the Park Cities aside from the blue-haired ladies @ 4242 Lomo Alto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top