U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:54 AM

285 posts, read 404,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unteagle View Post
Greyday as adults you are correct. We learn to deal with everyone. But we typically tend to not go into bars where we are the only straight man, or white man, or whatever.

It's quite amusing everyone bashing me but I doubt very many white males feel comfortable in a gay bar, or a bar catering to black males in oak cliff. I imagine a woman feels uneasy or at least some do around a bunch of drunk males as the only female. Some of us like to be around what we are familiar with. I have no problem with atheists or black males or gays or handicapped people or whatever but yes if I'm the only person that is completely different in a situation it does tend to make me feel out of place and it does most blacks, gays, etc. How do I know? Because I have gay friends. I have black friends. And they have told me many times they feel awkward the same as me. I drug one of my black buddies to a country bar. He felt so out of place. We had a good time but if I wasn't there, there is no way he would have been.
Wrong wrong wrong! People learn to deal with everyone as CHILDREN. I was lucky enough to grow up in a city where my closest friends in elementary were Asian, Black, Polish, Jewish, Italian, and Latino. We celebrated Chinese New Year, Hanukah, Three Kings Day, etc.

I have many white male friends who feel comfortable in a gay bar. I have known many white men who frequented majority AA bars. I myself have been to many clubs and concerts where I was the only non-Caucasian person there. Also, as an FYI, just because two people share the same color skin does not mean that they are going to be friends and have all of the same interests. That is the key problem with your little "theories". For example, your anecdote about the country bar is totally nonsensical since I have many white friends who would feel out of place in a country bar. Again, it's about commonalities and NOT skin color. My skin is dark but I do not feel comfortable at clubs that play hip-hop music because I like rock and alternative. Nothing to do with skin color.

Wow.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM

16,005 posts, read 26,111,246 times
From early 2011: Hispanic students attain majority in Texas schools - El Paso Times

"Two of every three public school children in Texas are minorities, according to the data.

Steve Murdock, a former U.S. Census Bureau director and past state demographer, estimates that Anglos will make up only one-fifth of the public school population in 2040"

Are you putting your kids at a disadvantage by sequestering them in a mostly Anglo school?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,132,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
Once, my wife and I had to set up a banking booth for a forum at a Black church in Red Bird (I think it was Friendship Baptist- it was on 67). We came in as the Sunday service was letting out. We were probably the only white people within miles. The dirty looks we got from the congregation were chilling. We were not welcome. No "friendship" there. I'm sure this is how Blacks felt during the Civil Rights era.
I'm sorry that happened to you, but to compare a few dirty looks to the discrimination of the civil rights era is a bit of an exaggeration. If there was a "Blacks only" sign on the door or you were told to leave because Whites are not allowed inside, then such a comparison might have more merit. Churches are some of the most segregated institutions in this country, so I'm not surprised that you felt out of place or uncomfortable in that environment.

Had you visited an establishment within a several mile radius of the church that caters to everyone's needs, such as a grocery store or big-box retail chain, there would have been a more diverse representation of people.

Please understand that my disagreement with your comparison to the civil rights era does not mean that I condone the actions of those that were rude to you. No one should ever be disrespected in that manner, regardless of skin color/ethnicity.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,079,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I couldn't agree more! I love how the Park City contingent is judging. I am Jewish, and what I liked about West Plano was that there were other Jews there along with many Asians, Christians, Muslims, etc. It was diverse, but we weren't the only non-Christians in the bunch and not the only Jews either. I especially didn't want my children to be the only Jewish kids in the school.

What is wrong with not wanting to be one of a few white kids? I don't see how this is racist. Now, if he had said he doesn't want to be near minorities, that is different.

We lived in Austin for a little over a year. The school my kids went to was much less diverse than the one in Plano. It was 75% white, 25% Hispanic and almost all Christian with few Asians, Jews or other minorities. My daughter was asked so many ignorant questions about Judaism, told she was going to hell, constantly invited to Bible studies, etc.

I much prefer a diverse student body because kids naturally learn about other cultures and about how to respect them.

The OP is asking to be part of a district that is at least 40% white. How is that not diverse?
The original question was about a 'White District' not a 40% district. And being of the Park Cities contingent doesn't change matters.

There is nothing wrong with being one of the few white or black kids. Kids may argue and fight and that's about that. No one rails about the dangers my daughter may have not being blonde/blue at Highland Park high where she would definitely be one of a few colored students.

As before it's more the context of 'affordable school mostly white' that people take issue with. If you're moving to Park Cities, the demos are that of most financially exclusive (I hate that term- but couldn't come up with a better one)- namely predominately White or Jewish (east coast, not in Texas), well-educated with a spattering of well to do people of color that had the resources to move in.

But to flip the question- of 'what's wrong with not wanting to be one of the few white kids?" that implies inherently that there's something wrong with that demo. Then is there something wrong with being one of the few Black , Indian, Latino students?

You can't have it both ways.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:50 AM

863 posts, read 1,031,650 times
If you can afford to but the house next to me I could care less what color you are.I think many people would agree.

Obviously areas with higher incomes and home prices have lesse crime and beter schools....
No one cam blame the residents of those areas for the racial makeup.

Why are the majority of the high income/high median home price areas mostly caucasian? That has not been discussed yet...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,079,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
If you can afford to but the house next to me I could care less what color you are.I think many people would agree.

Obviously areas with higher incomes and home prices have lesse crime and beter schools....
No one cam blame the residents of those areas for the racial makeup.

Why are the majority of the high income/high median home price areas mostly caucasian? That has not been discussed yet...
Do you really want to get into that discussion?

Unlike Atlanta or D.C., Dallas doesn't have a huge, visible Black upper-middle/upper class. I said visible.

There are excuses and there are facts about why. It's all a retread from the Controversies section.

Last edited by GreyDay; 02-01-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM

967 posts, read 978,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Do you really want to get into that discussion?

Unlike Atlanta or D.C., Dallas doesn't have a huge, visible upper-middle/upper class. I said visible.

There are excuses and there are facts about why. It's all a retread from the Controversies section.
You mean a visible upper-middle/upper middle black class, right? Because that is definitely true that Dallas doesn't really have one.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM

863 posts, read 1,031,650 times
Like I said before,if you can afford the house next to me I could care less what race you are...

People usually buy homes in the areas they can afford.I think that the question of why certain races can afford certain areas more than others is a question saved for a different forum....

Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 PM

3,151 posts, read 5,185,206 times
A majority by definition is 50% or higher. Below 50% but being the largest component would be a plurality.

Quote:
I would consider 40% white majority.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 PM

848 posts, read 1,470,573 times
Quote:
Well I make about $30 an hour driving for ups but I support a family of 5 on one income. I'll just do the commute if I have to. I don't want to be in an uber white area. I never said that. I said about 40% white. Technically for all these bashers that's usually about 20-30% of at least one other race Hispanic, Asian, or black. Hardly racist. I didn't even mean an all white school. I'm just saying I work near downtown and schools are 10% white. Not what I want.

I'll probably just do the commute and live in a rural country town with a mix of races, less crime, and certainly less people judging me for wanting to fit in.
I realize I am jumping into this late, but if OP unteagle wants at least a white plurality, but low cost, Rockwall, Wylie, Sachse, and McKinney come to mind as good options. If I'm not mistaken, those are also white majority too but it is falling in places like Wylie, but it will not fall below 40% white IMHO.

Also, IMHO, saying you want your kids to go to school where 4 out of 10 students are white vs. 1 out of 10 is not racist either, and I'm not even white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas