Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,716,681 times

Advertisements

Give unteagle a break, he's not asking anything different than what most folks are doings on these forums. unteagle just needs to learn the code words like "looking for a good school district", "looking for a family friendly neighborhood" and "looking for a low crime community" lol

Old 02-01-2012, 02:01 AM

134 posts, read 546,166 times
Majority is not 52% white. Majority means more than any other race. 40% typically covers this when you add other races. I never said an all white or even predominately white school. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:35 AM

36 posts, read 63,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unteagle View Post
Majority is not 52% white. Majority means more than any other race. 40% typically covers this when you add other races. I never said an all white or even predominately white school. Thanks for all the info everyone.
The word you are looking for is 'plurality'. 'Majority' would only apply if a particular race had more representatives than all other races combined (i.e. 50+%).

And with that.....I'm out of this thread.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:30 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unteagle View Post
It helps to use the correct diction to get a helpful response and actually find answers to the question you are asking-->

Majority, by definition, means more than half (50%).

Plurality means the largest group. If a plurality is greater than half, it's also a majority. If it's less than half, it's just a plurality.

Merriam-Webster Search for iPhone
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurality_(voting)

Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 AM

965 posts, read 1,876,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
you took the words right out of my mouth...I was going to say he should try Forney, Rockwall, Heath, Fate...smaller towns with a white majority that arent terribly far from downtown dallas.

For those of you who dont know, I'm black, and I for one have no problem with his wishes. So he doesnt want to live in Oak Cliff where he would be in the minority by a wide margin, so what? I wouldnt want to live in some hell hole small east texas town where I was the only black guy either, but HE just might love it. It is what it is. I find it highly ironic that some of the posters bashing him for being racist either live in predominantly white suburbs, or exclusive, predominantly white enclaves within the city of Dallas, yet they want to get on their high horses and sit in judgment. You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house...
Yeah, this

Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,378,422 times
I've had my vocab for the day and think I can finally get my SAT verbal scores up now...SMU here I come.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,669,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Rockwall, the Lakewood / Stonewall Jackson elementary school zones in East Dallas (apartments in 75206 may be possible on your salary), Cedar Hill (Dallas' only 1/3,1/3,1/3 suburb- equally split between black, white, & Hispanic residents), the Lake Highlands schools/neighborhood in Richardson ISD, etc are all fairly centrally located to your job downtown and have a good chunk of white students.

Cedar Hill is not equally split between african americans,caucasians and hispanics....

Via the 2010 Us Census...

51.9 African American
25.8. Caucasian
18.7 Hispanic
2.8 Mixed race
0.5 American Indian
0.1 Pacific islander

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM

812 posts, read 2,175,548 times
UNT makes a point and I for the 100th time have been humbled on this forum. Folks do want to be with their own that they feel comfortable with. I get it.
Once, my wife and I had to set up a banking booth for a forum at a Black church in Red Bird (I think it was Friendship Baptist- it was on 67). We came in as the Sunday service was letting out. We were probably the only white people within miles. The dirty looks we got from the congregation were chilling. We were not welcome. No "friendship" there. I'm sure this is how Blacks felt during the Civil Rights era.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,378,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
UNT makes a point and I for the 100th time have been humbled on this forum. Folks do want to be with their own that they feel comfortable with. I get it.
Once, my wife and I had to set up a banking booth for a forum at a Black church in Red Bird (I think it was Friendship Baptist- it was on 67). We came in as the Sunday service was letting out. We were probably the only white people within miles. The dirty looks we got from the congregation were chilling. We were not welcome. No "friendship" there. I'm sure this is how Blacks felt during the Civil Rights era.
There is that experience. But what about a Black man doing business say, anywhere in Dallas? What about being the only Black person working at a hospital? I'm sure patients in their 80's never thought they'd see a Black doctor, but the work has to be done.

Comfort is a construct of the mind. Either you find common ground or you don't.

I once had to give a lecture in Dakota, not exactly chocolate city, but I went in, was nice and got the job done. And my last name is more British than say 'Jackson' or 'Williams'.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 AM

662 posts, read 1,445,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
you took the words right out of my mouth...I was going to say he should try Forney, Rockwall, Heath, Fate...smaller towns with a white majority that arent terribly far from downtown dallas.

For those of you who dont know, I'm black, and I for one have no problem with his wishes. So he doesnt want to live in Oak Cliff where he would be in the minority by a wide margin, so what? I wouldnt want to live in some hell hole small east texas town where I was the only black guy either, but HE just might love it. It is what it is. I find it highly ironic that some of the posters bashing him for being racist either live in predominantly white suburbs, or exclusive, predominantly white enclaves within the city of Dallas, yet they want to get on their high horses and sit in judgment. You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house...
I couldn't agree more! I love how the Park City contingent is judging. I am Jewish, and what I liked about West Plano was that there were other Jews there along with many Asians, Christians, Muslims, etc. It was diverse, but we weren't the only non-Christians in the bunch and not the only Jews either. I especially didn't want my children to be the only Jewish kids in the school.

What is wrong with not wanting to be one of a few white kids? I don't see how this is racist. Now, if he had said he doesn't want to be near minorities, that is different.

We lived in Austin for a little over a year. The school my kids went to was much less diverse than the one in Plano. It was 75% white, 25% Hispanic and almost all Christian with few Asians, Jews or other minorities. My daughter was asked so many ignorant questions about Judaism, told she was going to hell, constantly invited to Bible studies, etc.

I much prefer a diverse student body because kids naturally learn about other cultures and about how to respect them.

The OP is asking to be part of a district that is at least 40% white. How is that not diverse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: