U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2007, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
Default Saigling Elementary School & neighborhood

We're looking to buy a house in Plano. We're newcomers to Dallas and would like to settle in a neighborhood with a good elementary school and a community feeling. We like the look of the area around Saigling (we're into slightly older houses, although I guess in Plano, 1980 would be an older house). Can anyone speak to the school or the neighborhood around there? I think it's called River Bend? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:43 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,289,478 times
We almost leased a house in that area when we first moved to Plano some years back. I don't, however, know a lot of specifics about it and/or Saigling. Maybe someone else can provide some details. It is a pretty area IMO if you are interested in older homes. We have lived in several different areas of Plano in the past 12 years. While I am sure some of the schools are better than others, I just don't think you would have much of a problem with any of the schools in Plano.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,429,137 times
Default Re:

OK, I guess this falls to me.

I used to live in the Saigling attendance area. Even though we've since moved, we continue to send our son to school there, rather than our neighborhood school. The school is that good.

There are a lot of empty-nesters in that area, so the school is under-populated. There are somewhere between 400 and 500 kids in the school, which makes it one of the smallest schools in the PISD. It still has the full complement of support services (full-time music, art, PACE, speech, PE teachers, etc.), so in effect, your child gets more benefit out of the specials than he would at a school where one art teacher is trying to service 800 or 1000 kids.

The neighborhood varies on a block-by-block basis. Some people keep their property up, some don't. A quick drive-by will probably tell you what you need to know. If you have an exact address you're looking at, you can pm it to me and I'll give you my two cents.

The Plano Park & Rec Dept. is planning to essentially bulldoze and redo the adjoining park this winter and next spring, converting it into something closer to a mini-nature preserve. I think that will add a lot to the character of the area when it's done.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,034 times
I just bought a house in Plano in June and we looked at couple of houses in that neighborhood. The Saigling Elementary area was one of the areas I was targeting. Saigling is an exemplary rated school. It has also received the National Blue ribbon award twice. You really can't go wrong with Saigling. I eventually found a house in the Davis Elementary area, another exemplary rated, Blue ribbon school, which is the next school east of Saigling. Check out the Plano ISD web site. There is lots of information on every Plano school there (ratings, achievements, demographics, etc). Plano Independent School District – Plano, Texas Lots of great schools in Plano.

As for the neighborhood, most of the homes are 1970's, 1980's ranch style or traditional homes. At one of the houses I did see, I had a chance to speak with one of the neighbors, they say its very nice and quiet area and crime is almost non existent. That was on Stain Glass Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas