U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 8,673 times
Default Prince of Peace vs. Prestonwood Christian Academy

My husband and I have toured both POP and PCA in prep for a Pre-K/Lower School enrollment for our three year old daughter this fall. For PCA, we assume she would continue through high school and for POP, apply to Ursuline.

We have our personal list of thoughts on each school - with a fairly strong personal preference towards POP/Ursuline, but we haven't been able to find much outside analysis actually comparing the two schools to validate.

Does anyone have any insight to share? Personal experience? Suggested resources?

Our priorities are academic preparation, moral compass/global awareness and a sense of community amongst students/teachers/parents.

Thanks so much for any input - I feel like selecting and applying for my own college education was somehow a bit less intimidating than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,258,827 times
Which Prince of Peace? There are Catholic and Protestant schools with the same name within 3 miles of each other along Plano Pkwy.

Assuming you mean the Catholic one (with the reference to Ursuline) - that's a BIG difference theologically! Whichever school you choose, your kid will get a large helping of the chosen religion with their education, so I find it surprising that you're "agnostic" between the two schools.

I know families at each of those schools, and both are very happy with their choices. (I should note that both are also members and regular attendees of services at the associated congregations.)

Having said that - I think Prince of Peace Catholic is going to be a more academically rigorous experience. Perhaps not a factor in the PK3 class, but in the elementary and middle school years, much more so.

Why? Because POP is aiming to prepare their kids for Ursuline and Jesuit, with JPII as the booby prize. Prestonwood is aiming to prepare their kids for ... Prestonwood, which, honestly, isn't known as an intellectual powerhouse.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 PM

3,221 posts, read 2,375,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akillian24 View Post
My husband and I have toured both POP and PCA in prep for a Pre-K/Lower School enrollment for our three year old daughter this fall. For PCA, we assume she would continue through high school and for POP, apply to Ursuline.

We have our personal list of thoughts on each school - with a fairly strong personal preference towards POP/Ursuline, but we haven't been able to find much outside analysis actually comparing the two schools to validate.

Does anyone have any insight to share? Personal experience? Suggested resources?

Our priorities are academic preparation, moral compass/global awareness and a sense of community amongst students/teachers/parents.

Thanks so much for any input - I feel like selecting and applying for my own college education was somehow a bit less intimidating than this.
My daughter went to POP and is at UA now, our son went to POP then Jesuit now college.

Saving anecdotal claims, like mine, you'll find little or no analysis comparing the two proposed tracks because they are quite different.

Your gut is pulling you in the right direction. PCA is a very good school in it's own right. That said almost no one with a feeling for private schooling around here would claim that PCA is equal to the POP - UA route for girls.

As a guesstimate if your daughter attends POP, finishes in the top 70/80% of girls, is not a discipline problem, participates in some extra-carriculars particularly any sport (ice skating, crew, basketball, volleyball, tennis, softball etc.) she will be accepted into UA. Some years all POP applicants get into UA.

POP - UA
Academic preparedness - check
Moral compass/global awareness - check and I'd add global participation too, POP has a sister school in Honduras - the kids communicate regularly.
Community of students - check
Teacher excellence and involvement - check
Parental involvement - check like you might not believe, parents sweeping the floor after lunch, meetings with teachers, administration, scout meetings in the school etc.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,104 times
We too looked at several schools before deciding on where to send out kids. We love PCA! Currently PCA has six graduates in Ivy League schools, in addition PCA has graduates who are pursuing doctorate degrees. PCA has a 91% pass rate among our students taking AP courses, and our SAT and ACT scores are far above the national and state averages. Their athletic and extracurricular activities are consistently superior to any other school in DFW. Above all of this though, PCA puts Christ at the center of education and makes Him the central focus. My kindergartener has learned to quote Scripture in Spanish! Pretty amazing.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM

663 posts, read 611,268 times
If the OP means POP Catholic vs. PCA, I'm very confused. The theology and attitude toward the world couldn't be more different at the two schools. I could understand comparing POP to St. Mark's Catholic. Many people at PCA think the pope is the anti-Christ for goodness sake.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akillian24 View Post

I am a father of two students from Prestonwood Christian Academy ... one who graduated six years ago and one that is due to graduate this year. While both have benefitted widely in the excellent academic curriculum and programs (my oldest child was also a recent successful graduate of a large, state university that is very difficult to gain admission to), my wife and I clearly believe that much of their positive makeup comes from the extensive and strategic biblical worldview teachings and the widely successful world missions program. Although this World Missions program is a 12-month program, most of the area community doesn't know that each year in March, Prestonwood Christian Academy sends over 300 of it's high school students (two-thirds of the Upper School population) to locations throughout the world to spread God's Word and Love. Locations in Europe, Africa and the America's (Central, North and South) are being touched annually by Christ's Hand through the students of Prestonwood Christian Academy. While many schools can boast about their test scores and quality college preparatory programs, my wife and I would argue that those results are quite frankly easier to obtain (there are many local public and private school offerings that can provide those results, including Prestonwood Christian Academy) ... there is only one school in the area that I know that helps trains Christian leaders, using God's Word in Acts 1:8 to "... be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." What if we as a society were only to train up the next generation to "have great test scores" and to "gain admittance to the college of their choice"? I would argue that while those results are very important, they are no where near to the importance to spreading God's Word to "... Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM

695 posts, read 724,996 times
If you are at all considering sending your kids to Jesuit and Ursuline, I don't see why you'd send them to PCA if you have a choice. There are miles of theological difference between Baptists and Catholics. This is not a slam against PCA, just an observation. I know people who love PCA but I have yet to meet any Catholics who send their children there--I certainly wouldn't. It appears PCA requires chapel for their students. Would you feel comfortable with this? I know I wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas