Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:29 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
After a gorgeous visit to Dallas (we Loooove it!) we will be moving down hopefully within 2 weeks and plan on living in the Carrollton school district. We've been advised to rent for about half a year before buying (decide on an area, see where the housing market goes, etc etc). I have two kids and a dog and ideally we would rent a home or a townhome that was privately owned and not part of an apartment complex. Since the ideal situation does not always work out . . . any pointers on what to look out for in rental complexes in Carrollton? i noticed that some areas are a bit more run down than others but its hard to tell when you don't live in the place. Which areas would be considered nicer to live in? We know to steer as north as possible but little beyond that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:46 AM

134 posts, read 1,221,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
... We know to steer as north as possible but little beyond that.
Wouldn't that mean Oklahoma is better than Dallas? It's a shame people are constantly being given advice that causes them to look in one small area of the Metroplex only for suitable places to relocate. I'm wondering what happens when those few "northern" spaces are filled up. I guess I have a hard time believing every transplant to the D/FW area is well suited to the same northern spot of Dallas.

Hoping you find the best fit for your permanent home. Since you will be renting first (smart move) you will have the opportunity to explore the area before selecting your permanent home. Welcome to Texas.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Wouldn't that mean Oklahoma is better than Dallas? It's a shame people are constantly being given advice that causes them to look in one small area of the Metroplex only for suitable places to relocate.
I was actually referring specifically to the northern part of Carrollton. I'm sure other areas are nice as well but our decision on where to live will be driven primarily by the quality of the gifted programs in the public school system. If you know of one that is better than CFBISD's programs I'd be glad to hear of it.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 34,550 times
I live in the Ridgeline Townhomes complex in Carrollton. It's right next to the Addison Airport. There are a lot of really nice neighborhoods around it. My place is kinda old and run down, but there is a vast difference between units. Some have been updated/renovated, ours is exactly the same as it was in 1986 when they were built. There are some troublemaker kids around the parking lots, but they are mostly gone after dark. It's pretty cheap (mine is $850 for 3 bd, 2 ba, 1000 sf) and I guess you get what you pay for, but I don't mind. Everyone is friendly as long as you are friendly to them. You should check it out if you are one a budget. The actual address is 2240 Tarpley Rd, Carrollton.

If you are looking for something and have a bigger budget look around this area: Beltline Rd to the South, Marsh Ln to the West, George Bush Turnpike to the North, Midway Rd to the East. These neighborhoods are very nice houses, and pretty big. I think the rent for around $1500, if you can find one for rent.

Good Luck, and welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:47 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,094 times
Some of the places Lilly mentioned are not CFBISD, even though they are in Carrollton.

I would focus on which specific school(s) you are interested in and try finding rentals in that area. Craig's List is probably a good place to look for individually owned rentals.
There are some townhomes in Country Place (off Marsh Ln. in between Beltline and Keller Springs) that are often listed for rent, and CP is a good elementary school. I also believe there is a fairly new apartment complex at the corner of Marsh and Keller Springs that probably feeds into Country Place. Another area that feeds into Country Place that has lots of rentals (but probably isn't the nicest of neighborhoods anymore) is off of Keller Springs, and it's known as "Two Worlds." Lots of duplexes and townhomes in that area, many are rentals.

I would say that where you find a lot of apartment complexes grouped together, the school in that area isn't as good as some of the schools that have less apartments feeding into them. Sad, but true.

Some of Valley Ranch also feeds into CFBISD, and there are a TON of apartment choices in that area as well as some really nice single family homes.

Focus on the individual schools you are interested in rather than an entire district. There are WIDE variations in the quality of schools in CFBISD. North is generally better (because of less apartment complexes, newer homes, families with more money, etc.), but there are pockets in the mid section of town that are good, too (i.e. Country Place).
Good luck!

Last edited by turnbun; 09-14-2007 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
If you are looking at the G/T program in Carrollton you might want to consider LEAP at McCoy Elementary which would place you in homes in and around that area. McCoy, Josey, and Trinity Mills/George Bush are major roads in that area. LEAP however is for the very gifted with an IQ of at least 140+. ACE which is Carrollton's G/T program for all other high IQ's is not quite to the level of the LEAP students is the other program and it is offered at all schools in CFBISD.

Our teachers are highly trained in G/T practices and must have this training in order to serve students in their classrooms that are identified G/T.

I may be off a little on the IQ for both programs but the district office can give you more info. The main district number is 9)968-6100. The receptionist can give you the number to the department that handles G/T questions.

Schools I would consider in the northern end of the district are: Rainwater, Rosemeade, Kent, Davis, or McCoy. The others are great too but the homes around these areas would be better quality as far as rental property. With Davis the homes are more of the track style and not made as well as some of the other areas. The homes in the Rainwater and Rosemeade area are not so bad and I think you could find a lot of rentals in those areas.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
Valley Ranch area school is Freeman for elementary... this would be my choice as it is an exemplary school and most all of the teachers are G/T certified. So if you go Valley Ranch this would be the CFBISD school of choice. If you go Las Colinas/Hackberry area then Las Colinas.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:42 PM

15 posts, read 56,003 times
Hello there,
We live in the Reserve, RESERVE Apartments DALLAS Move Free RESERVE Apartments DALLAS, TX , located just behind the Galleria between Monfort and Alpha Rd. Our address says Dallas but is is rather Addison (next to Carrollton, and way better). We have been here for 3 years and I cant complain, especially because my neighbours are great and never make any noise . I think recently there have been some shady people moving in but they are on the side of the smaller/cheaper homes. For about 1400 p/m you can get a great 3 bedroom, 2.5 car garage, 3 full size bathrooms apt in here. It doesnt have stainless steel and wooden floors but for 6 months it will do. Some people on the internet are complaining about the maintenance. I have not had problems with people coming in and fixing things but I have to agree, the gate has been broken a few times since the new owners took over.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 22,579 times
I would agree with sonshinelife for CFB G/T programs. If you want to stay in the CFB district, Kent elementary has been a blue ribbon school for several straight years. I live in the NW area of Carrollton and I am the last street in the LISD area. My daughter has been in the LEAP program for 6 years now. My home is 10 years old. First owners, all the homes in my area are 10 years or less around Eisenhower and Frankford and Old Denton area. I love the easy access all around me. I-35, Geroge Bush, Tollway. Checkout Homestead for CFB or Castle Hills area for LISD. Try to stay north of George Bush, West side of Josey Lane.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM

Default thanks

thanks for all the replies guys. We've ended up renting a home off Kelly Blvd just north of the GB turnpike. So far so good. I think we will probably steer towards the north east area around Rainwater, Rosemeade or Kent for when we buy a home. At this point we are waiting for a utitlity bill so that our son can be tested for the Leap program at McCoy. We love the town so far and are enjoying figuring out the little differences from life in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas