U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 PM

16,005 posts, read 26,111,246 times
I can catch a bus one block to the south and three to the north but I am 1.7 miles from a DART rail station - to which I could walk on the Santa Fe Trail.

Share Walk Score
68 Out of 100 Somewhat Walkable

Restaurants
0.4miAli Baba Mediterranean Grill
0.43miBalcony Club
0.44miStarbucks
0.46miAngelo's Spaghetti House
0.48miCock & Bull Neighborhood Pub
0.48miCosmo Restaurant & Bar
0.48miPhilly Connection
0.49miLakewood Landing
0.5miAli Baba Mediterranean Grill
0.52miGarden Cafe0.53miDixie House
0.53miPenne Pomodoro
0.58miGold Rush Cafe
0.56miWatel's Bistro
0.58miPour House
0.58miLa Calle Doce
Coffee
0.43miStarbucks
0.48miGanodermaCoffee.com
0.58miGold Rush Cafe
0.6miCoffee Co
0.65miPaciugo Lakewood
0.93miJohn's Cafe
1.05miUrbano Cafe
1.12miThe Pearl Cup espresso bar
1.46miCafe
1.96miMurray Street Coffee
2.01miBuzzBrews Kitchen
2.14miLa Duni Latin
2.45miAngelika Film Cente
2.53miBread Winners Cafe & Bakery
Groceries
0.38miSuper Mercado
0.63miWhole Foods 0.
0.9miFiesta
1.04miJimmy's Food Store
1.07miThai Oriental Food Store
1.08miSunflower Farmers Market
Shopping
0.44miMatt's Rancho Martinez
0.48miDot's Closet0.55miRadio Schack
0.55miThe Consignment Solution
0.57miTalulah Belle0.59miCuriosities
0.6miCantina Laredo
0.60mi Dallas Affaires Cake
Schools
0.07miWilliam Lipscomb Elementary School
0.34miWoodrow Wilson High School
0.36miJ L Long Middle School0.
1.53miLakewood Elementary
1.61miDallas Theological Seminary (what, where's Criswell College?)
Parks
0.33miRandall Park/Santa Fe Trail
0.93miGarrett Park
1.04miLindsley Park
1.12miBuckner Park
1.18miSamuell Park
1.18miTietze Park
1.77miTokalon Park
1.86miCotton Bowl
1.87miWhite Rock Lake Park
1.88miFair Park Coliseum
1.91miExall ParkAdd place
Books
0.53miLucky Dog
1.2miMara John R Law Books
1.52miEllis & Stanley
Bars
0.4miArcade Bar
0.48miCock & Bull Neighborhood Pub
0.49miLakewood Landing
0.59miTimes Ten Cellars
0.87miShips Lounge
0.94miCavern Ale House
0.95miEight Lounge
0.95miWillie's Lounge
0.99miThe Avenue Bar & Grill
1miThe Service Bar
1miWinedale Tavern
1.02miZephyrs Patio Lounge
1.03miDallasite Billiards
1.12miLouie's
1.14miThe Slip Inn
Entertainment
0.4miLakewood Theater
1.56miArena Theater
1.72miDallas Fire Fighters Museum
1.72miThe Womens Museum1.91miDallas Museum of Natural & Science
1.92miAfrican American Museum
1.99miState Fair of Texas
2.06miMuseum of Nature & Science
2.63miUSA Film Festival
2.81miMuseum Tower
2.86miTrammell & Margaret Crow Asian Art Colle
2.97miThanskgiving Square Foundation
2.69miMeyerson Symphony Center
4.43miAMC NorthPark 15
4.62miMuseum of Biblical Art
Hospital
1.7miBaylor University Medical Center / DART Rail
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,278,208 times
Until the CBD really beefs up with more retail and grocery amenities, some of the just outside of downtown areas might be more walkable than downtown itself.

I also think there is a false assumption by more suburban/drive everywhere people that if something is not literally one or two blocks away it's not "walkable."

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 05-03-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 05:49 PM

1,754 posts, read 1,358,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I also think there is a false assumption by more suburban/drive everywhere people that if something is not literally one or two blocks away its not "walkable."
What, you mean you expect me to walk THREE blocks. Or MORE!!! CARRYING things?!?!?

The NERVE!!!

I'd write more, but I need to drive to the gym to work out. It's about a mile away but it's awfully tough to find parking, so it takes awhile.

Last edited by synchronicity; 05-03-2012 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: wanted to modify the joke

Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,278,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I'd write more, but I need to drive to the gym to work out. It's about a mile away but it's awfully tough to find parking, so it takes awhile.

haha, although I'm certainly guilty of this, too. My gym is exactly .3 miles from my apartment and I've driven there many times.

In my defense I usually have places to go afterwards.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM

755 posts, read 682,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
The Suburbs depend on Dallas, or they literally would not exist. If Dallas weakens, so do they, and Dallas is strengthened by strong suburbs. Are there some issues (like the infamous lack of a CoCo county hospital) sure, but there are always issues, they are a small part of life.
I really like this about the DFW area. It seems that the suburbs vs. city thing is HUGE in Houston. Absolute hatred for the suburbs from most of us who lived in the city. We lived in the city for about 10 years and moved to an inner suburb here (best of both worlds in my opinion).

It does seem like keeping great suburbs is seen as a big bonus for the city of Dallas as well. That is so true. We were amazed at the number of awesome suburbs around here. And of course, Dallas has tons of great amenities as well. Anything that makes the area look good is good for us all.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM

228 posts, read 138,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
"The government has is in fact entitled ggolf to rent or buy a suburban home for the purpose of establishing a single-family residence in the area ggolf currently lives (assuming ggolf is not living in violation of zoning requirements and is in a single family home). That process in land development is specifically called "entitlement.""

Huh? It sounds like you want the government to specify where we can live, or work, like in the Soviet Union. How did that work out? The government did not "entitle" me to do squat. I chose to live in the exurbs for a reason. No traffic. Cleaner air. Nicer people. Cheaper cost per sq ft. Golf courses are less crowded. I'm unemployed (retired sounds sexier) and have been for 6 years. My car sits in the garage 6 out of 7 days. I may go down to McKinney if I need a particular thing or want to go to a particular restaurant, maybe 3 times a year. Or I'll head north to Choctaw which is 20 minutes north. Life is good out here. Folks should be able to live where they want. Like I said, if you want to live in the crowded, car adverse Uptown, go for it. You want to live in Oak Cliff, go for it.

The only thing I hate about suburbia is the dreaded HOA. I so want to go with some kind of Xeroscape yard to shut my sprinklers off.
Sounds like you have an incredibly boring life.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,006,231 times
Quote:
I can catch a bus one block to the south and three to the north but I am 1.7 miles from a DART rail station - to which I could walk on the Santa Fe Trail.

Share Walk Score
68 Out of 100 Somewhat Walkable
My walk score is the same as yours and I live in a suburb. And I do like downtown, I just want it to be a downtown. I want Victory Square to have people in it even if there is no basketball game. I'd like the events I book at the Opera House not to be cancelled due to poor attendance so I have to drive to Bass Hall. It's easier to get a table at the Iron Cactus than it is to get a table at On the Border on a Friday night.

And yes, I consider 'liveablity without a car' to be a primary if not the primary goal against which downtown liveablity is measured. I think it would be a good thing if Dallas had a higher population density than all its suburbs. Until all that happens, then I'll consider living in Dallas proper vs living in the suburbs to be a same/same proposition.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,946,325 times
The DMN is always beating the drum about the Suburban dystopia. Good grief.

I have some data centers in Richardson and from what I see going on, the City is really turning things around after the Nortel/Alcatel bust a few years ago. I actually have to wait for a table at Fishmongers now. Many intersections and roads were fixed or upgraded. The gyms are full again. I see lots of kids and young families. My staff are buying houses there.

There is no such thing as sustainable. Things must be rebuilt and renewed all the time.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 PM

15,981 posts, read 14,433,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

I have some data centers in Richardson and from what I see going on, the City is really turning things around after the Nortel/Alcatel bust a few years ago. I actually have to wait for a table at Fishmongers now. Many intersections and roads were fixed or upgraded. The gyms are full again. I see lots of kids and young families. My staff are buying houses there.

There is no such thing as sustainable. Things must be rebuilt and renewed all the time.
Richardson is on the move upwards. I saw signs of it several years ago when I bought here; house prices in this neighborhood continue to climb per square foot, young families are moving here and revitalizing the area, and of all the places in DFW that Alamo Drafthouse could have chosen, they picked the Richardson Heights shopping center for their first location in north Texas. That says a lot.

Sure, there's work to be done. But we're doing it in Richardson and unlike some areas, the residents here really DO care. We really ARE dedicated to making Richardson a great place to live and a lot of us actually put our money where our mouths are and put in the time and effort to make sure the city knows how we feel...and they listen.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:26 AM

1,496 posts, read 779,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

Don't worry. If the DMN's view is counter to yours....take that as a blessing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas