U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2012, 03:51 PM

8 posts, read 45,464 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Dallas. I'm looking into the Rosemont at Cedar Crest apartments at 3303 S. Oaks Blvd in Dallas. What is the area like; crime rate wise. I really like the apartments, but I'm so unsure of where to relocate my family in Dallas. If anyone knows anything about the area, please reply. I sure don't want to sign a year long lease & be stuck next door to a gang member.

Just to clarify, I looked at the property & it's a gated community with security alarms in each apartment unit. I drove around & if I went left, it looked dated & "ghetto" & if I went right, it looked more updated & not so "ghetto," for a lack of better terms. I really try not to judge books by their covers, but it is what it is.

I'm coming from Frisco, so I know my expectations can't be as high as they would be if were looking in Frisco. I know Frisco is newer, etc, etc... I don't care if the neighborhood is "old." I just don't want to move my family to an unsafe area.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 03:56 PM

6,766 posts, read 11,040,768 times
That's south Oak Cliff...just north of the Dallas VA Hospital?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:10 PM

8,389 posts, read 11,492,741 times
NOT SAFE. It's across 45 from the place where you get your car back after it gets towed. I had to go to the ATM at Overton & 45 (the same side of 45 that the apartments are on) and it was literally the worst corner I have ever seen in Dallas. (And I have done some volunteer work in some sketchy parts of Dallas, as well as South Bronx, Domenican Harlem, etc).

FYI, according to the Dallas police reports, these are all the crimes that have happened in the 75216 zip code since Feb 6 (that's the last 7 days for those who are counting....):

Aggravated Assault w/ Deadly Weapon
Abandoned Vehicle
Stolen Vehicle recovered
Assault
Assault w/ threat to kill
Assault
Assault
Assault
Assault
Burglary
Violent Robbery with injury
Residential burglary
Injury to child (not domestic)
Assault
Burglary
Stolen vehicle recovered
Stolen vehicle recovered
Assault
Assault
Robbery w/ force
Assault
Assault
Assault
Assault
Aggravated Assault w/ Deadly weapon
Robbery w/ force
Recovered stolen vehicle
residential burglary
Aggravated Assault
Assault
Assault
Burglary
Assault
Burglary
Assault of an elderly person
Assault
Assault
Assault by threat
Burglary
Aggravated Robbery
Assault
Assalut
Assault
Aggravated Assault
Aggravated Sexual Assault of child
Recovered stolen vehicle
Assault
Recovered stolen vehicle

Holy cow!!! Now obviously some of these assualts are domestic incidences, but do you really want to live in a neighborhood full of people beating the crap out of each other and stealing cars? Not to mention I didn't even bother to list all of the petty thefts, car break-ins, and other minor crimes.

By comparisson, another South Dallas neighborhood- 75208 which encompasses the North Oak Cliff neighborhoods of Kessler Park, Winnetka Heights, Bishop Arts District, etc - only registered the following crimes in the past 7 days-->

Burglary
Burglary of business
recovered stolen car
Burglary
Sexual Assault
Assault
recovered stolen vehicle
Assault
Assault
Assault
Assault
Burglary
Burglary
Aggravated Assault
Burglary
Burglary
Robbery

17 crimes in 75208 vs 49 in 75216. Yet, they're only a few miles apart & in the same sector of town.

You can do better than that apartment complex & neighborhood.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:13 PM

690 posts, read 836,982 times
If safety of your family is a concern, would you be willing to commute at least 15-20 miles.
Safety? IMO; I would look towards Desoto or west.

Schools: DISD is always in the news about one thing or another.

school report card:
2009-10 School Report Card
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM

251 posts, read 206,239 times
Rosemonts are government apartments and you have to meet certain low income levels. City officials went to jail behind these apartments. A lot of money changed hands. 75216 is one of the toughest areas of southern Dallas. Unless you are poor I wouldn't suggest it. Even if you are there are some Rosemont units in safer suburbs.

Last edited by Ablebodied; 02-14-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,141,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld.roddy View Post
I'm not from Dallas. I'm looking into the Rosemont at Cedar Crest apartments at 3303 S. Oaks Blvd in Dallas. What is the area like; crime rate wise. I really like the apartments, but I'm so unsure of where to relocate my family in Dallas. If anyone knows anything about the area, please reply. I sure don't want to sign a year long lease & be stuck next door to a gang member.

Just to clarify, I looked at the property & it's a gated community with security alarms in each apartment unit. I drove around & if I went left, it looked dated & "ghetto" & if I went right, it looked more updated & not so "ghetto," for a lack of better terms. I really try not to judge books by their covers, but it is what it is.

I'm coming from Frisco, so I know my expectations can't be as high as they would be if were looking in Frisco. I know Frisco is newer, etc, etc... I don't care if the neighborhood is "old." I just don't want to move my family to an unsafe area.

Thanks!
I agree with the other posters who have reservations about the area you initially mentioned. There are better options available. If you would be a little more specific about what you need, we will be able to help you further.

What is your price range? (Knowing this would be very helpful)
Are you open to living in the suburbs or do you prefer living within the city of Dallas?
Are schools a factor? If so, which type (Elementary, Middle/Jr. High, or High School)
Other than safety, what other amenities are you looking for in a city or particular neighborhood? (shopping, recreation, etc.)

Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM

8 posts, read 45,464 times
What about the Seagoville or Desoto area? Particularly Hwy 175N in Seagoville & around Hummingbird Dr in Desoto. I've found some MH's in that area that are around our price range & are only about 20-25 mins from downtown (via mapquest.com), which is where my husband works. The whole reason we're moving from Frisco is to shorten his commute & to lower our rent, as I recently lost my job. We want to stay in the $800 or <, at least 3br.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,141,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld.roddy View Post
What about the Seagoville or Desoto area? Particularly Hwy 175N in Seagoville & around Hummingbird Dr in Desoto. I've found some MH's in that area that are around our price range & are only about 20-25 mins from downtown (via mapquest.com), which is where my husband works. The whole reason we're moving from Frisco is to shorten his commute & to lower our rent, as I recently lost my job. We want to stay in the $800 or <, at least 3br.
Out of those two, I'd definitely go with DeSoto. It is a nice community. I lived there for 16 years before moving to Lancaster in 2006. The suburbs of southwest Dallas County (Duncanville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster, & Glenn Heights) are all within a reasonable commute to downtown, so you should definitely keep the area in consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplindley View Post
Why not check out Cedar Hill? It's a nicer southern suburb. I really don't know enough about DeSoto to make an informed decision.
There probably isn't going to be that much available in Cedar Hill that is within the OPs price range.

Last edited by Acntx; 02-15-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 01:44 PM

10,272 posts, read 11,103,715 times
Im normally not closed minded about certain areas, but this is the highest crime area Dallas has to offer.

I would not even think about living there. I would find a place further North on the other side of 30, further East past 635 or further South on the other side of 20. At the very least on the further west on the other side of 35.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 PM

690 posts, read 836,982 times
Yes, I agree. That is why I suggested to look at Desoto and points West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas