Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,114,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleLife2 View Post
The drive on I-35 between Lewisville and uptown Dallas is, imo, practically soul-crushing during typicaly commuting hours. Granted, you'd be going in the opposite direction to most traffic. Out of the city in the morning, and back into the city in the evening. But nevertheless, it is hard to escape wall-to-wall traffic that proceeds at a snail's pace between Lewisville and Dallas during typical commuting hours. Just so you know ...

And that's not even venturing into all the massive highway construction we've been experiencing.
635, I-35, Hwy 114, Hwy 121/International Parkway (leading into the southern reaches of Lewisville), and until recently Woodall Rogers Freeway, ALL under heavy construction that slows traffic further. I wouldn't volunteer for that.
I did the Uptown to Lewisville drive on a fairly regular basis during rush hour and9 out of 10 days, it's smooth sailing on the reverse commute. About 60-75mph the whole way and not even much of a slow down when you cross under 635. It's hardly soul-crushing, no tolls are involved- it's a viable option for someone who doesn't want to live in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM

105 posts, read 292,216 times
^Huh. That's interesting. Was that some time ago, TurtleCreek80? My son does the same 'reverse commute' about 4-5 times a month. He has not had your luck! I've done it myself, maybe twice a month on average. I can't stand it. It wouldn't be worth it to me -- but everybody's different.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,114,624 times
Quote:
^Huh. That's interesting. Was that some time ago, TurtleCreek80? My son does the same 'reverse commute' about 4-5 times a month. He has not had your luck! I've done it myself, maybe twice a month on average. I can't stand it. It wouldn't be worth it to me -- but everybody's different.
It was up until last summer, leaving Uptown @ 7:30-7:45 and coming home around 6-6:30pm. I was always in Lewisville by 8 if I left at 7:30.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 AM

105 posts, read 292,216 times
Another thought, TurtleCreek80 ... You mentioned the Uptown to Lewisville drive during rush hour. I take it you meant in the morning, going into Lewisville. Have you likewise done the Lewisville to Dallas trek during the evening rush? That's the worst. From just north of Vista Ridge, all the way down past, say Northwest Hwy or Royal at the least, as you go into Dallas in the evenings -- it's rough going most of the time.

(Oops! I double posted with you! I see that you answered my question. 6:30pm is later than I've been leaving. Yes, I would agree that most traffic has subsided by 6:30pm --except possibly in the vicinity of I-35 and George Bush. You're also leaving Dallas/arriving in Lewisville earlier than we have been. An hour later or so, and you'd be toast?)

Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,608,113 times
Quote:
Another thought, TurtleCreek80 ... You mentioned the Uptown to Lewisville drive during rush hour. I take it you meant in the morning, going into Lewisville. Have you likewise done the Lewisville to Dallas trek during the evening rush? That's the worst. From just north of Vista Ridge, all the way down past, say Northwest Hwy or Royal at the least, as you go into Dallas in the evenings -- it's rough going most of the time.

(Oops! I double posted with you! I see that you answered my question. 6:30pm is later than I've been leaving. Yes, I would agree that most traffic has subsided by 6:30pm --except possibly in the vicinity of I-35 and George Bush.)
I do this drive regularly, but not always during rush hour. It is a rough go most of the time. Have a friend who lives in Dallas zip 75229, works near Corinth. She says she always plans for a 45 min drive tho its often less..... and she's a lot closer to work than Uptown.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 PM

67 posts, read 162,717 times
I'm considering moving to Irving for a job. I've noticed Lewisville is very affordable, and apparently there are parks and bike/running trails around the lake. Is Lewisville really so bad for us young 20-something couples?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,608,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrowingintohouston View Post
I'm considering moving to Irving for a job. I've noticed Lewisville is very affordable, and apparently there are parks and bike/running trails around the lake. Is Lewisville really so bad for us young 20-something couples?
Lewisville is fine. Closer yet if you are already working in Irving is Irving. Campion Trail is a good place to run. Campion Trail | Texas Trails | TrailLink.com

Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrowingintohouston View Post
Yes. Just live in Irving and be close to work. I've known several people make the mistake of moving there. Primarily because it's cheap, but wind up moving to Dallas for a better quality of life.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:43 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,462,489 times
Quote:
As others have pointed out, the Dallas metroplex is not known to be very walkable. Uptown is great. It's probably our best walkable community, and it's urban-ish. But, in general, the Dallas metroplex has routinely received poor ratings for walkability.

There are small sections of some suburbs that are 'walkable,' but they're suburbs, for sure. Not urban. There's a small section of Southlake, TX (about 20 minutes from Lewisville, and not much traffic) that's designed to be walkable. It's right beside a beautiful outdoor shopping center (Southlake Town Square), a Central Market (groceries and whole foods for foodies), lots of restaurants, and a movie theater, etc. I don't think there are any detached homes there -- just very cute looking townhomes and apartments. Also, no 'culture' to speak of -- museums, plays, concert halls, etc that you'd normally find in cities. So you'd be driving into Dallas or Fort Worth for those events.

There are several similar areas in Plano, TX. Again, a suburb, not urban. Cute townhomes and apartments, shopping 'villages,' grocery markets, theaters, restaurants, etc. The 'walkable' areas are pretty much all between the 121 Toll Road to the north and George Bush Tollway to the south, and along the Dallas North Tollway. There's a little community around Legacy and the Dallas North Tollway that has been rated above average for walking in reviews that I've read over the years. I drive there from my community to go to restaurants and the awesome Angelika theater. There are also lots of shops. It is NOT an urban community, and it's definitely not sprawling in walkability. It's a small community that is walkable day-to-day. There are other similarly small, supposedly 'walkable' communities as you go south along the Dallas North Tollway towards George Bush Hwy, to the left and right. Hwy 121 Toll and George Bush Toll are your north and south boundaries for the areas I'm aware of. Again, no 'culture.' The museums and concert halls are in the major cities (Dallas and Fort Worth), for the most part.

Basically, though these small areas are designed to be walkable, they don't compare to actually being downtown. (Or, in the case of Dallas, Uptown -- which is quite charming and very walkable!)
There are zero apartments in Southlake to my knowledge. The townhomes are priced at nearly half a million by southlake town center and you can't walk to the central market either. The CM is across a busy street. I wouldn't move to southlake as a young professional it's for older families. Stick with Uptown, Oak Lawn, or Turtle Creek. The drive will be under 45 minutes if you're working and living near Stemmons.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 10-21-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,677,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post

There are zero apartments in Southlake to my knowledge. The townhomes are priced at nearly half a million by southlake town center and you can't walk to the central market either. The CM is across a busy street. I wouldn't move to southlake as a young professional it's for older families.
Agreed. Southlake is VERY family oriented and you would be bored! It is also quite upscale and very pricey.

Look at Las Colinas as others have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas