U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
 
350 posts, read 722,827 times
Reputation: 514

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
I know where the Swiss Avenue Historic District is but can someone explain to me exactly what restaurants and bars and retail are walking distance from that neighborhood?
Basically none.

I recommend that you move to Dallas and rent a place in Downtown or Deep Ellum. Start scouting places out for when you want to get knocked up while enjoying the urban experience with no compromise for a year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,844,380 times
Reputation: 6264
East Dallas comprised of many parts such as M-Streets off Greenville Avenue, Lakewood, Junius Heights, Hollywood Heights (not as walkable to restaurants) sounds good for you. Deep Ellum is between East Dallas and Downtown. As mentioned, it's a lot more suburban-looking than DC. Excellent public schools should you choose - IB curriculum is in the secondary schools and probably will be in a couple of the elementaries in a few years according to plan see: About Woodrow Wilson High School Community Foundation and as mentioned St. Thomas is a good Catholic school - there is a pipeline of kids who go directly from St. Thomas to Woodrow, the public high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM
 
291 posts, read 575,308 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
You can walk from there (and Junius Heights/Lakewood/Belmont) to Skillman-Live Oak (The Wine Therapist, Lakewood Landing, the new Matt's, Bistro Watel's, La Calle Doce, Bangkok Inn, Coffee Company, The Gold Rush etc. Or you can walk to Lakewood Shopping Center (Angelo's, Scalini's, Cantina Laredo, Snow Pea, Times Ten Winery, Penne Pommodoro, Dixie Lakewood, Legal Grounds, Ali Baba's, Whole Foods and of course Lakewood Theater and Library) a lot of interesting small retail shops... it's about 1/3 to 1/2 mile depending on where you start.
I'm familiar with La Calle Doce and I think I've ordered Chinese delivery from Snow Pea. Never saw those other places while driving around. Also have never seen any retail shops that sell things I would actually need. Big difference from Friendship Heights in DC where you can walk to major retailers like Pottery Barn, Gap, CVS, grocery store, Saks, Neiman, Cheesecake Factory, Magginano's, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
 
291 posts, read 575,308 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Basically none.

I recommend that you move to Dallas and rent a place in Downtown or Deep Ellum. Start scouting places out for when you want to get knocked up while enjoying the urban experience with no compromise for a year or so.
I agree that they should maybe rent first, especially without having kids now. I would, however, suggest Uptown/West Village, Oak Lawn or Knox-Henderson for a more walkable experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 AM
 
350 posts, read 722,827 times
Reputation: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
I agree that they should maybe rent first, especially without having kids now. I would, however, suggest Uptown/West Village, Oak Lawn or Knox-Henderson for a more walkable experience.
I'd be curious to know where Knox-Henderson is more walkable than Downtown .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,844,380 times
Reputation: 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
I'm familiar with La Calle Doce and I think I've ordered Chinese delivery from Snow Pea. Never saw those other places while driving around. Also have never seen any retail shops that sell things I would actually need. Big difference from Friendship Heights in DC where you can walk to major retailers like Pottery Barn, Gap, CVS, grocery store, Saks, Neiman, Cheesecake Factory, Magginano's, etc.
There would probably be pitchforks and torches if they tried to put a Cheescake Factory in Lakewood! We are getting the first Trader Joe's in Dallas on Lower Greenville and some say a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Grocery across the street (howls of protest) in the former Whole Foods space which moved to a bigger store in Lakewood Shopping Center - where the neighborhood would not let them build a new, larger building. No Neiman Marcus, either but the family lived on Swiss, Westlake and Nonesuch. As I said, not really urban like D.C.

There are changes coming as an Austin-based company has bought part of the Skillman Live-Oak Center (replacing the sign cause a small uproar) and Lincoln Property paid multi-millions for part of the Lakewood Shopping Center. Word is Mi Cocina paid $3 million just to take over the lease space of Matt's (moving to Skillman-Live Oak). Most are a bit wary of the changes as we like things kind of small-town (in the big city).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
 
291 posts, read 575,308 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
I'd be curious to know where Knox-Henderson is more walkable than Downtown .
I haven't even been downtown in ages b/c there isn't really anything there to make the trek but I used to always walk to Knox Henderson when I lived in Uptown and make a day of it b/c there were several restaurants that I enjoyed going to, then there were the shops like Z Gallerie and Pottery Barn, the Apple Store, Wild about Harry's (love frozen custard!), etc.

What is there downtown worth going to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
 
350 posts, read 722,827 times
Reputation: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
I haven't even been downtown in ages b/c there isn't really anything there to make the trek but I used to always walk to Knox Henderson when I lived in Uptown and make a day of it b/c there were several restaurants that I enjoyed going to, then there were the shops like Z Gallerie and Pottery Barn, the Apple Store, Wild about Harry's (love frozen custard!), etc.

What is there downtown worth going to?
The original Neiman's? The largest urban arts district in America? A pretty big selection of bars both on Main Street and scattered around... Some of the best restaurants in the city...

The only reason I'm giving you a bit of a hard time is that K-H is actually pretty bad when it comes to walkability, especially on the eastern side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
 
291 posts, read 575,308 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
The original Neiman's? The largest urban arts district in America? A pretty big selection of bars both on Main Street and scattered around... Some of the best restaurants in the city...

The only reason I'm giving you a bit of a hard time is that K-H is actually pretty bad when it comes to walkability, especially on the eastern side.
Yeah, the museums are cool but people don't really choose to live near museums, do they? I have gone by the original Neiman's but have never seen much around it. Which restaurants are you considering the best? I went to the Majestic the other night and there was nothing around there. I went to the aquarium which I believe is also downtown and there wasn't anywhere nearby there to eat either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM
 
350 posts, read 722,827 times
Reputation: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
Yeah, the museums are cool but people don't really choose to live near museums, do they? I have gone by the original Neiman's but have never seen much around it. Which restaurants are you considering the best? I went to the Majestic the other night and there was nothing around there. I went to the aquarium which I believe is also downtown and there wasn't anywhere nearby there to eat either.
Maybe you don't choose to live by arts attractions. I'd say plenty of other people do...

Stephen Pyles, Samar, Five Sixty, Tei An, Screen Door, Dallas Fish Market, The Zodiac... You really need to become more familiar with downtown before you start giving advice about it to newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top