U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 PM

29 posts, read 70,238 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Having read this forum on and off for quite some time, I finally registered and wanted to say hi. My wife and I are both from the Northeast, we met in Phoenix eight years ago, have lived in several states each, and landed in San Antonio in 2009 for business reasons. Now that we're done here and can finally escape, we've chosen Dallas for what will hopefully be our final destination, and are moving into a house in North Dallas (Royal & Hillcrest area) next month.

San Antonio wasn't for us because it's just too... well... redneck. We're business owners & entrepreneurs and have absolutely nothing in common with people here. Also the endless sea of tract home communities and strip malls just doesn't suit us and having both grown up in real neighborhoods, we have zero desire to be in an HOA-controlled community with cookie-cutter houses. We also hate the terrible sprawl of San Antonio. The nearest grocery store is 9 miles away - almost the same distance our house in Dallas is to downtown! We also terribly miss having a variety of nice restaurants, especially non-chains, and access to baseball & theater again. (Sorry but the Spurs don't do it for me, and it's sad that it took Wicked something like 5 years to finally come to SA on tour.) We're tired of having to drive over an hour to Austin just to go to Crate & Barrel or other nice stores.

Having considered all our options, we fell in love with N Dallas and are very much looking forward to arriving next month and enjoying all that it has to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 PM

690 posts, read 1,442,757 times
Hillcrest and Royal; seriously. WOW, must be nice!
(Just joking...)
Good luck and Welcome...
Probably find you at the Crate & Barrel then sometime.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 AM

1,282 posts, read 2,982,546 times
Welcome

Old 02-26-2012, 01:46 AM

23,625 posts, read 31,227,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satodfw View Post
Hello all,

Having read this forum on and off for quite some time, I finally registered and wanted to say hi. My wife and I are both from the Northeast, we met in Phoenix eight years ago, have lived in several states each, and landed in San Antonio in 2009 for business reasons. Now that we're done here and can finally escape, we've chosen Dallas for what will hopefully be our final destination, and are moving into a house in North Dallas (Royal & Hillcrest area) next month.

San Antonio wasn't for us because it's just too... well... redneck. We're business owners & entrepreneurs and have absolutely nothing in common with people here. Also the endless sea of tract home communities and strip malls just doesn't suit us and having both grown up in real neighborhoods, we have zero desire to be in an HOA-controlled community with cookie-cutter houses. We also hate the terrible sprawl of San Antonio. The nearest grocery store is 9 miles away - almost the same distance our house in Dallas is to downtown! We also terribly miss having a variety of nice restaurants, especially non-chains, and access to baseball & theater again. (Sorry but the Spurs don't do it for me, and it's sad that it took Wicked something like 5 years to finally come to SA on tour.) We're tired of having to drive over an hour to Austin just to go to Crate & Barrel or other nice stores.

Having considered all our options, we fell in love with N Dallas and are very much looking forward to arriving next month and enjoying all that it has to offer!
Welcome to the area. I agree with your assessment of San Antonio; I have never cared much for it either.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM

813 posts, read 1,769,918 times
Welcome! My late mother in law lived just south of Royal on Hillcrest. Her health got bad and she had to sell the house. Builder knocked it down and put up a huge McMansion, which was on the market for over 2 years.
Some really nice homes in that part of Preston Hollow, and a strange site in DFW, these things called trees. Big suckers.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 PM

29 posts, read 70,238 times
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! We're really looking forward to it, especially the thought of a larger house on a larger lot for the same price as where we're living in San Antonio. Dallas really has so much more to offer so it was a no-brainer decision for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or