U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,249,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madetomom View Post
Our family is considering moving to the Dallas area in a year or so. We get snow and ice where we live and the winters are really hard on me. I would love to be somewhere that rarely gets snow! I could never see it again and be very happy.

Since this is a thread on weather - I'm just wondering one thing though. I've heard some people say Dallas is humid and others say it's not. Which is it? I've been to New Orleans, Nashville, Florida, Panama and Guatemala. THOSE places are humid when it gets really hot. Is Dallas like that? Or is it just a gentle humidity?

Also - with all the weather fluctuations - does anyone have any sinus/allergy issues caused from all of that?
Humidity levels in Dallas is nothing like the places you mentioned (New Orleans, Nashville, Florida, Panama and Guatemala). Oftentimes Dallas has humidity levels down in the teens during summer months, which simply never happens in the places you mentioned. So yes, in comparison I'd say we have 'gentle humidity' here. That said, the humidity in Dallas is not as low as some areas to our west where it is very common to have single digit humidity levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 PM

326 posts, read 635,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Whos doing nothing? What in the heck kind of logic are you spinning here..Our roads are fine where I live, I have no complaints-our system seems to work well enough. And we have ONE toll road in the state. Toll roads stink if you ask me, kind of like your argument here.

Sanctimoniously yours,

Yankee from the NE
I like the toll road idea for two reasons. One, it keeps registration fees down (I remember the $400+ annual fees in CA). Two, the road upkeep and upgrades are paid for quicker (not completely, but quicker) as a result of the additional revenue. I think MA/Boston (and therefore, the tax payers) are going to be paying for the Big Dig until what, 2035?

The kicker is that Texas civil engineers were thinking ahead, and many of the major Tollways have frontage roads that run much of the length of them, so you can skip the tolls if absolutely necessary, and not be stuck in slow, stop and go traffic as the alternative (60MPH, with the occasional stoplight).

Not saying one way is superior to the other, but I definitely don't mind the toll system here...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,915,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
I think MA/Boston (and therefore, the tax payers) are going to be paying for the Big Dig until what, 2035?

I hear you..Like you said one isn't vastly better than the other.

As far as The Big Dig, a portion of it is subsidized with toll money; but to be completely honest, alot of that project was federally financed. So some guy in Texas is paying for me to drive through Boston. I think it's collected through gas tax.

That project was doomed from the beginning from being poorly planned, woefully underfunded,and because it was run in Boston. My brother was a project manager on it out of college and he told me concrete trucks would bill three times for one load. Despicable.

I still don't like Toll roads because they never lift the tolls or reduce the cost when it's paid. Usually lots of jobs depend on them by the time the road is paid and "maintenance" becomes the excuse to keep it. Maybe it's different down there.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,516,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I still don't like Toll roads because they never lift the tolls or reduce the cost when it's paid. Usually lots of jobs depend on them by the time the road is paid and "maintenance" becomes the excuse to keep it. Maybe it's different down there.
The first segment of the Dallas North Tollway was opened in 1968. I have little doubt that it's been paid for many times over by now but it'll never be free. I almost always avoid it more out of principle than cost.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 AM

2,237 posts, read 2,763,056 times
Our Murphy backyard, a couple of winters ago:
We get enough snow around here.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Our Murphy backyard, a couple of winters ago:
We get enough snow around here.
Beautiful.

It's quite unfortunate that it's only March and it's already in the 80s. What happened to spring? Oh yeah, that was in January.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:44 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,249,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
It's quite unfortunate that it's only March and it's already in the 80s. What happened to spring? Oh yeah, that was in January.
Today is beautiful. Blue skies, 82 degrees, everything greening up, birds chirping and people of all ages enjoying the outdoors and the wonderful weather. Except of course for your kenshi...

Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 PM

But everybody knows it would be even better if it was in the 60s or 70s.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 PM

5,959 posts, read 7,506,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
The first segment of the Dallas North Tollway was opened in 1968. I have little doubt that it's been paid for many times over by now but it'll never be free. I almost always avoid it more out of principle than cost.
I have no problem with investors who wisely have saved enough cash to lend to us spendthrift Americans to build things we need. Even if you dont drive the toll roads you benefit from less traffic from those who do drive it.Those who managed finances to fund building the road are our friends. They deserve a return of investment and on investment as far as I am concerned, when capital is scarce as it is in todays world where even governments like the state of texas and the feds dont have fund to build roads, we owe a thanks to those who saved to fund our roads.

On the lack of snow or weather front, as one who does not like heat, despite being from Houston, today was beautiful. The low humidity made todays high temps feel great. I am amazed I can keep from waking up at night worrying about not getting enough snow here. When I do wake up, I turn over and sleep in knowing I dont have snow to rake in March or April like I experienced in NJ while living there occasionally.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM

266 posts, read 473,675 times
I enjoyed the toll roads here. The prices didn't look that bad, either. I just wish they could add some toll lanes to 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or