U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:26 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,310,983 times

Advertisements

I lived in Rowlett for a year from 2008 to 2009, and live in Garland now within half a mile of Rowlett, do a lot of shopping in the area so I am familiar with the area. In spite of a particular poster from way back when, Rowlett is a perfectly good place to live and raise a family. Now that my wife and I are thinking about purchasing our first home, Rowlett is very high on the list. It offers easy access to the 190 now, and with the completion of the tollway, the street traffic that used to make Highway 66 and Rowlett Road such nightmares has been eased considerably. Plus you still have access to Firewheel, the Harbor for shopping and entertainment within a 15 minute drive. Schools are decent, put it this way, even though Garland ISD has free choice, most of the time its folks trying to transfer into Rowlett schools rather than the other way round. Yet Rowlett High still has a ways to go, especially when you see that Garland High has the IB and is regarded as the more rigorous high school of the two.

The negatives: water rates and property taxes are pretty high, but I dont consider them a dealbreaker. The biggest negative of Rowlett is the failure to develop much of anything within the city, ala Firewheel in Garland, or the Harbor in Rowlett. Downtown Rowlett is a joke, the lakefrontage is a joke, especially when you look across to see what Rockwall has done with its shoreline. Honestly, I always looked at Rowlett as being Walmart and fast food. That hasnt changed. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,591,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I lived in Rowlett for a year from 2008 to 2009, and live in Garland now within half a mile of Rowlett, do a lot of shopping in the area so I am familiar with the area. In spite of a particular poster from way back when, Rowlett is a perfectly good place to live and raise a family. Now that my wife and I are thinking about purchasing our first home, Rowlett is very high on the list. It offers easy access to the 190 now, and with the completion of the tollway, the street traffic that used to make Highway 66 and Rowlett Road such nightmares has been eased considerably. Plus you still have access to Firewheel, the Harbor for shopping and entertainment within a 15 minute drive. Schools are decent, put it this way, even though Garland ISD has free choice, most of the time its folks trying to transfer into Rowlett schools rather than the other way round. Yet Rowlett High still has a ways to go, especially when you see that Garland High has the IB and is regarded as the more rigorous high school of the two.

The negatives: water rates and property taxes are pretty high, but I dont consider them a dealbreaker. The biggest negative of Rowlett is the failure to develop much of anything within the city, ala Firewheel in Garland, or the Harbor in Rowlett. Downtown Rowlett is a joke, the lakefrontage is a joke, especially when you look across to see what Rockwall has done with its shoreline. Honestly, I always looked at Rowlett as being Walmart and fast food. That hasnt changed. JMHO.
The Habor is in Rockwall- Rowlett is moving forward with lots of plan developments. Downtown Rowlett is very nice and has been remodeled to fit the purpose of DART- which should be open soon. Old town Rowlett is small, simple and what it should be. Rockwall has the same old town square area.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:40 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,310,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
The Habor is in Rockwall- Rowlett is moving forward with lots of plan developments. Downtown Rowlett is very nice and has been remodeled to fit the purpose of DART- which should be open soon. Old town Rowlett is small, simple and what it should be. Rockwall has the same old town square area.

Oops my bad, I meant to say the Harbor in Rockwall. But the rest of my point stands. Maybe you like the amenities available in Rowlett right now, but I think for a town of its size there should have been something better in Rowlett waaaaayyy before now. I hope you're right and the city is actively trying to bring in new developments (and no, fast food doesnt count) that can boost the city's tax base while still contributing to a higher quality of life.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 AM

127 posts, read 205,400 times
followup question.

Anyone know of any Rowlett city ordinances against having chickens in the backyard? Or honey bees?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
followup question.

Anyone allowed of any Rowlett city ordinances against having chickens in the backyard? Or honey bees?

I know certain areas of the city might have issues with Chickens/Bees. Where I live we can have chickens. I would go to the City Website and check that out. If you don't find the answer simply email one of the city workers.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 AM

Ok, i found it http://library.municode.com/showDocu...=13683&docID=0
Looks like no more than 2 hens and no more than 2 hives.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Ok, i found it http://library.municode.com/showDocu...=13683&docID=0
Looks like no more than 2 hens and no more than 2 hives.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 PM

after 210 days on the market it looks like somebody beat us to it by mere hours. We put an offer in today, they accepted an offer from somebody else lastnight.
goodbye perfect house. Feeling a bit crushed, but apparently God has other plans for us and our little family.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM

197 posts, read 458,796 times
Quote:
after 210 days on the market it looks like somebody beat us to it by mere hours. We put an offer in today, they accepted an offer from somebody else lastnight.
goodbye perfect house. Feeling a bit crushed, but apparently God has other plans for us and our little family.
Sorry you missed out on the house, but, you're right, God has other plans.

Just fyi - If you're still interested in Rowlett, if you are open to new construction, you might check Lindsey Estates. I'm looking at that development and am considering it......it's a new community that will be pretty small (only 58 homes I believe).

Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM

I am sure another "perfect" home. Or you never know how escrow can go. The home I am in I got into because two weeks into escrow the other buyers defaulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas