U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM

7 posts, read 8,086 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
We are an Indian (Asian Indian) family of 5 thinking of moving from CA to TX. Commuting is not an issue for us as my husband has the option of working from home, occasionally travelling to CA or to his office in Richardson. We have a budget of 450-500k and wish to have 4-5 bedroom, over 4000sf newer homes. This might be our last move and I want to put down my roots till kids finish high school. My kids go to elementary school so we are looking for really good schools. After all the research we have done online I see Dallas area has tons of good schools. We like to have good diversity in our community and we are very involved in community and school activities. One more thing about is we don't like too much master planned communities without any elbow room between the houses. We prefer to have more than quarter acre lots as my kids play a lot outside (I don't know if dallas weather permits them to be outdoors so much). Schools being our number one priority, are there any with exceptional qualities which stand out from the rest? We looked into Plano, Frisco, Coppell and few other places but these are huge ISDs. Should I be worrying so much about having a smaller ISD? I understand University Park and Highland Park are really good but it is definetly out of our price range.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM

794 posts, read 1,884,981 times
Did you check out the area of Murphy zoned to Plano ISD?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM

690 posts, read 1,448,023 times
Hello;

Richardson is an excellent location, I have one colleague that moved to Richardson due to the school district.
Richardson is nearby everthing you may need, require both family wise or recreational. Richardson does have a
a large pecentage of Asian Indian background living in the area.
There have been previous postings that with request about Richardson. May I suggest you peruse them or do a search
amongst the other entries within this forum concerning the area.

dallas schools:
http://www.richpatterson.net/images/2011SchoolsInfo.pdf

Texas Schools:
Texas Accountability Rating System

Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Did you check out the area of Murphy zoned to Plano ISD?
We haven't looked into Murphy area at all, not because we don't like it but we are unaware of that area. What are the things you like about Murphy?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

100 posts, read 227,293 times
There are a couple of issues with your wish list:
If you don't want a master planned community where every 4th house is identical, and all the houses are similar, you will not be able to find a new home very easily. There are a few custom built neighborhoods that come to mind, but I think for size, they may exceed your budget.
If you have searched this forum at all, you will see that I over and again say how wonderful Richardson is. The schools are all exemplary. I am on the east side, which is more racially diverse than the west side. On the east side of Richardson, the only newer homes are not very centrally located- they are going off toward Murphy, as someone mentioned before. If you stay more central (close proximity to Dallas) you may find a small neighborhood here and there of homes built since 1990, but then we are back at the cookie-cutter homes issue. Looking into the north part of zip 75082 north of Lookout (would be Plano ISD), and the northest part 75085 (I think Murphy or Plano or even Garland Sachse ISD, not sure), you would get the size and cost and newness in a home that you ask for, as well as great schools and *some* diversity (although not as much as my neighborhood), but many homes will still be cookie cutter replicas of each other. If you come a little further south and west into my area, things are older (let's call them "established and charming") and you have great schools and more diversity. You could definitely cut your budget in half, but your home would be built in the 1970's. There's always some kind of compromise when it comes to buying a home.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
Hello;

Richardson is an excellent location, I have one colleague that moved to Richardson due to the school district.
Richardson is nearby everthing you may need, require both family wise or recreational. Richardson does have a
a large pecentage of Asian Indian background living in the area.
There have been previous postings that with request about Richardson. May I suggest you peruse them or do a search
amongst the other entries within this forum concerning the area.

dallas schools:
http://www.richpatterson.net/images/2011SchoolsInfo.pdf

Texas Schools:
Texas Accountability Rating System
Thanks so much for sending these links. The first one is a very well put together report. One thing I don't understand in that is that it says Richardson is a 'recognised' isd. Is that anything to be concerned about? But most of the schools are exemplary which is why it is more confusing.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,272,378 times
Nothing against Murphy, but I second Richardson as its school system is well-regarded, it's not nearly as pricey as the Park Cities, and you should be able to find some lots that will give you elbow room. Also, it's more centrally located in the Metroplex. If you need to use DFW Airport a lot, as it sounds like you might, Richardson would be slightly better in that regard though neither is extremely close to the airport.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM

"Texas is only OK" thanks for your comments, will look it up.
The more I'm reading all this I'm realising there are compromises to be made. Cookie-cutter homes might not be exactly my thing. And also we are not that particular to be living close to Richardson. Any place is fine but great schools.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM

766 posts, read 1,310,962 times
I suggest reading the following threads:

Relocating to Dallas... in search of a school for gifted child

and

Opinions on Sunnyvale Schools

The size of the ISD is really a personal preference. Larger ISDs will have more resources, more clubs/sports, AP classes, etc. Smaller ISDs will be...smaller. They'll still have clubs, sports, AP classes, just not as many and not as many participants. Dallas High Schools (or Texas HS) can be huge. We came from an area of 1200-1500 students in grades 9-12. (Others in the state were 2000-2500). I couldn't bring myself to live in an area where the HS would have 4000 students. But it is personal preferrence and what you're comfortable with. In addition, I've had experience with redistricting. You buy a house in a particular area for the HS and a few years down the line you get redistricted to another school.

You mention having space. That is something we found very difficult to find in our home search. Developers just make more money putting the 4000sf house on the 10,000sf lot (Keep in mind that aren't basements in Dallas due to the soil conditions.) If you're looking for a newer house you can (generally) find a 15k sf lot or an acre lot. There's not a "lot" in the middle.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM

I did see Sunnyvale ISD as being one of the exemplary status, just was worried if kids would have enough competition among themselves being such a small isd with one ES, MS and HS. Also, it looked more rural to us on Google maps. Are there any shops/restaurants close by?

We are dealing with lot of redistricting and classes overflowing with kids out here in CA. That is the reason we are insisting so much on smaller isds. I also see that Sunnyvale has new homes being built with St. James and other communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or