U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,290,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
I tootled around CHN this weekend.

I saw a lot of pickup trucks, Mustangs, and Dodge Chargers.

As we all know, these are the preferred cars of Rednecks, not Asians.

But maybe I am wrong.
So it's ok to generalize about rednecks but not ok to generalize about south Asians? Got ya.

Also, I hate to break it to you but that neighborhood is majority South Asian. That is great news for some home buyers and bad for others. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 PM

43 posts, read 105,106 times
Bad news for rednecks, and great news for everyone else.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 PM

384 posts, read 599,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
So it's ok to generalize about rednecks but not ok to generalize about south Asians? Got ya..
You know the drill...

Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 PM

6 posts, read 5,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
The truth just hurts too much for some people to handle. Even if they look around and see with their own eyes, they will still deny it. I could easily go and take pictures of neighborhoods that are 10 years old that have majority South Asians in them and post it right here to this thread to PROVE my point..but is that really necessary though?

It doesn't mean ALL South Asians are that way, but when you have a high concentration in one area.. your odds will increase exponentially.

Also, this doesn't mean they are bad people at all.. As Skids and Rakin pointed out. Quite the contrary, they are very mild mannered people with kids who usually behave very well.
I am Indian and I agree every word you said.
Again, not all, but most Indians are not big on home maintenance.
Some of it comes from being cheap.
Some of it comes from having different priorities.
Some of it comes from not having been brought-up to lift a screwdriver yourself. In India labor is cheap, its much much easier to just call a plumber or mechanic or a handyman and get it fixed.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,323,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syshs View Post
I am Indian and I agree every word you said.
Again, not all, but most Indians are not big on home maintenance.
Some of it comes from being cheap.
Some of it comes from having different priorities.
Some of it comes from not having been brought-up to lift a screwdriver yourself. In India labor is cheap, its much much easier to just call a plumber or mechanic or a handyman and get it fixed.
Really?

I respectfully disagree with what you said and I am south asian. I do agree with the priorities part though.
Perhaps "most" indians in TX are not big on home maintenance, but I can assure you, after being brought up here in the states, I have seen my parents AND extended friends who grew up in the "homeland"...and "never lifting a screwdriver" to get down and dirty with the house. Everything from lawn work, to mowing, to shrubbing, to changing the oil...shoot dad even showed me how to check the oil and change my tire!

I am living in the homeland on assignment right now and are you joking calling a plumber, mechanic or handyman is much easier....these clowns dont show up with any tools, make the problem worse before it gets better. The domestic staff situation here is pathetic at best and is more of a headache than what its worth..and we live in a very expat"y" place that costs a whopping US6K per month. So I am quite well versed on having been brought up in the USA and now living in the motherland of what things are like.

There are two types of indian...Recent immigrants(or mainly brought up in india)--FOBs (fresh of the boat)...or what the FOB's call people like us "ABCD" American Born Confused Desi. Wont ever admit it public...but we know you have thought it once or twice... and vice versa.

Its a shame that there are communities where they are not being maintained properly, and if that happens to be the south asians, it just gives the rest of us a bad rap, right down to assuming all of us only eat veg and indian food all day long :-(.

Personally speaking, we are just looking for an upper class, neighborhood with good schools and proximity to facilities. It the area we pick happens to be a majority white, great, if its diverse even better...but I would rather look for the quality of people in the development/how the development is maintained versus the ethnic breakdown and whether or not butter chicken is cooking on the stove!!!

And back to the priorities. Yes, these days I do feel that a majority (not indians in general)..do tend to and out of neccessity outsource the mundane tasks. I watched and my dh(also indian) also watched our parents lovingly care of their lawns/flowers/fix things around the house...because in those days, you had TIME to do so. The hours were 9-5, home for dinner at 6, a little tv, school performance and back in bed by 9-10.

Today you have a multitude of jobs, I have no clue as to what traditional working hours are anymore...seems like corporate is chasing the sun all the time, then manage all your technology (facebook, city-data, personal emails, kumon an violin classes, a little cheesy reality tv and boom your not even home (or at least checkied in, because you are too Wired in) till bedtime....dinner with the kids...all together....its becoming more and more difficult.

So yes, certain things have to go...and one of them is the mundance, just so you can find time. My generation (30s/40s) --I dont know anyone who is still handling their lawns anymore, the ladies I know have a housekeeper at least once a week...there just isnt time.

So for me the only valid statement you have made is that its a matter of priorities and how much is your free time worth it to you to cough up the clams.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Really?

I respectfully disagree with what you said and I am south asian. I do agree with the priorities part though.
Perhaps "most" indians in TX are not big on home maintenance, but I can assure you, after being brought up here in the states, I have seen my parents AND extended friends who grew up in the "homeland"...and "never lifting a screwdriver" to get down and dirty with the house. Everything from lawn work, to mowing, to shrubbing, to changing the oil...shoot dad even showed me how to check the oil and change my tire!
That might be true in your case, like everybody here is saying "most" and I guess you dont fall in the most category cuse you were brought-up in the US and I am sure your family from the homeland have been in the US a very long time.
Why would I bash my own kind? haha. I am just saying how it is.
I am looking for a my first house (hence im on this forum) and I must have seen about 40 homes by now... about 10 of those homes have been of a south asian family and I can immediately tell the difference in the maintenance and upkeep of the house. I don't think its a coincidence. It is what it is.

Quote:
I am living in the homeland on assignment right now and are you joking calling a plumber, mechanic or handyman is much easier....these clowns dont show up with any tools, make the problem worse before it gets better. The domestic staff situation here is pathetic at best and is more of a headache than what its worth..and we live in a very expat"y" place that costs a whopping US6K per month. So I am quite well versed on having been brought up in the USA and now living in the motherland of what things are like.
So did you do it yourself when those clowns showed up without the tools? I dont think so.
I didnt say anything about the quality of those services back in the homeland, all I said was services are cheap and everybody (doesnt matter low or high quality) almost always calls in a handyman than tackle the task on their own, cuse honestly there are no Home Depots back there, you really have to go out of your way to find good tools. Nobody takes that effort, again its always easier to just call the handyman. It is how things work back there. It is how it is, nobody is saying its bad or good.

Quote:
There are two types of indian...Recent immigrants(or mainly brought up in india)--FOBs (fresh of the boat)...or what the FOB's call people like us "ABCD" American Born Confused Desi. Wont ever admit it public...but we know you have thought it once or twice... and vice versa.

Its a shame that there are communities where they are not being maintained properly, and if that happens to be the south asians, it just gives the rest of us a bad rap, right down to assuming all of us only eat veg and indian food all day long :-(.
Again, nobody is saying ALL south asians do that.

Quote:
Personally speaking, we are just looking for an upper class, neighborhood with good schools and proximity to facilities. It the area we pick happens to be a majority white, great, if its diverse even better...but I would rather look for the quality of people in the development/how the development is maintained versus the ethnic breakdown and whether or not butter chicken is cooking on the stove!!!
Agreed.

Quote:
And back to the priorities. Yes, these days I do feel that a majority (not indians in general)..do tend to and out of neccessity outsource the mundane tasks. I watched and my dh(also indian) also watched our parents lovingly care of their lawns/flowers/fix things around the house...because in those days, you had TIME to do so. The hours were 9-5, home for dinner at 6, a little tv, school performance and back in bed by 9-10.

Today you have a multitude of jobs, I have no clue as to what traditional working hours are anymore...seems like corporate is chasing the sun all the time, then manage all your technology (facebook, city-data, personal emails, kumon an violin classes, a little cheesy reality tv and boom your not even home (or at least checkied in, because you are too Wired in) till bedtime....dinner with the kids...all together....its becoming more and more difficult.

So yes, certain things have to go...and one of them is the mundance, just so you can find time. My generation (30s/40s) --I dont know anyone who is still handling their lawns anymore, the ladies I know have a housekeeper at least once a week...there just isnt time.

So for me the only valid statement you have made is that its a matter of priorities and how much is your free time worth it to you to cough up the clams.
What I meant by priorities is that, south asians would rather save their money for their kids education and higher learning and save some more for a rainy day, than spend the money on making their backyard look more beautiful or try to win "best yard of the month" award.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM

176 posts, read 410,209 times
[

What I meant by priorities is that, south asians would rather save their money for their kids education and higher learning and save some more for a rainy day, than spend the money on making their backyard look more beautiful or try to win "best yard of the month" award.[/quote]

Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,323,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syshs View Post

What I meant by priorities is that, south asians would rather save their money for their kids education and higher learning and save some more for a rainy day, than spend the money on making their backyard look more beautiful or try to win "best yard of the month" award.
Of course when you put it that way, the tone of your comments change. If you have to maintain certain things within your subdivision as per the HOA, its a shame that owners dont abide by it. Its a personal decision to have your yard looking like something out of "better homes and gardens". Some people may love the flowers and foliage and enjoy cutting fresh roses, likewise, others dont want to invest in the yard for minimum upkeep.

Are the places like CH, Russell creek mostly recent immigrants from India...meaning raising First generation or US/Brought up here Indian--raising the second or third generation? If anyone has insight, let me know (you can DM if you like). I find it interesting that certain communities have SUCH a high population of indians.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Of course when you put it that way, the tone of your comments change. If you have to maintain certain things within your subdivision as per the HOA, its a shame that owners dont abide by it. Its a personal decision to have your yard looking like something out of "better homes and gardens". Some people may love the flowers and foliage and enjoy cutting fresh roses, likewise, others dont want to invest in the yard for minimum upkeep.

Are the places like CH, Russell creek mostly recent immigrants from India...meaning raising First generation or US/Brought up here Indian--raising the second or third generation? If anyone has insight, let me know (you can DM if you like). I find it interesting that certain communities have SUCH a high population of indians.
I would guess...
It is 1st gen who have come here for grad studies and decided to settle here or 1st gen who came on work-visas and now are on green cards or new US citizens and raising a family.

2nd and esp 3rd gen are pretty much Americans and dont fall into the "Indian" category thats being discussed here, or like you said earlier they are ABCDs.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 PM

323 posts, read 516,359 times
There are some (just a tiny fraction of what you find in Russel Creek or Castle Hills) South Asian families in my area and they nicely maintain their yards and homes. I guess things vary with price range as for any other ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas