U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,610,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Exactly right! I don't know why some people want to deny that. It is without a doubt majority Indian families who live there.

Remember I told you that before you came and saw for yourself Skids? There were several people saying otherwise but who was right?

I don't have anything against Indians but they do have a propensity for being cheap and when you have a neighborhood full of them, you will see plenty of yards that aren't taken care of, house repairs not being fixed, etc. They grew up in different/ poorer countries and it wasn't a big deal to them if their yard didn't look nice, or if their home was under power lines, or if they went forever without fixing problems with the facade, etc. Also, don't kid yourself that the HOA will notify them.. because odds are.. they will not. I've lived around here long enough to know.

Go find 10 year old neighborhoods that are majority Indian and then tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry, I'm not big on being PC. I just say it how I see it.
Who buddy, stop the vitriol. "Propensity for being cheap"

Are you confusing the care of a neighborhood with a much lower SES? In that case the whole block may look bad or just that when a bunch of Indians get together the place goes to crap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I personally wish they wouldn't have named it Castle Hills... Cheap Hills would have been more fitting. It's basically a cheap knockoff version of the REAL CH's. The front garages help junk up the neighborhood with the trashcans out front and TONS of cars parked out on the streets everywhere.

Also, there is simply not enough diversity there. I've seen the effects of a majority Asian/South Asian neighborhood and it isn't pretty. I don't care what anyone here says either, I've seen it first hand.
Veering dangerously close to being a proponent of racial steering in real estate. Just wanted to point that out.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyqb View Post
Lol....u guys r really funny!

I think the OP got what he wanted out of this post. I can understand skids929's frustration on having neighbors with bad yards (not that I have any like that) but your bringing that to OP's question of many Indians living in the community is a bad QED.

I just disagree your theorem that many Indians = bad yards :-)
Skids, while usually reasonable, lives in Boston. Different types of homes- rowhouses usually. Much smaller yards. No one really spends much time in front (maybe Dorchester). Doesn't take alot for a 10x12ft yard to go to crap.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,357,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Are the places like CH, Russell creek mostly recent immigrants from India...meaning raising First generation or US/Brought up here Indian--raising the second or third generation? If anyone has insight, let me know (you can DM if you like). I find it interesting that certain communities have SUCH a high population of indians.
I live in Russell Creek and it seems that most are first generation.

Indian communities are new to the Dallas area. Statistically, the population went from minimal in the late 90's to one of the largest in the country in 2012. Because of that, youre going to find a lot more first generation and their children vs. people who have been here for generations like you might find in New Jersey or Chicago.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM

231 posts, read 282,130 times
Quote:
Yeah, I personally wish they wouldn't have named it Castle Hills... Cheap Hills would have been more fitting. It's basically a cheap knockoff version of the REAL CH's. The front garages help junk up the neighborhood with the trashcans out front and TONS of cars parked out on the streets everywhere.

Also, there is simply not enough diversity there. I've seen the effects of a majority Asian/South Asian neighborhood and it isn't pretty. I don't care what anyone here says either, I've seen it first hand.
As a 1st generation Indian-American, I find many of the posts here very stereotypical, borderline racist & ultimately unhelpful. I even noted that the moderators allowed a post that used the term “infestation” to refer to Indians moving into neighborhhods!

A few of my thoughts after reading the preceding posts here (and also talking to an Indian who has lived in the DFW area for a few decades about this thread):

1/ I will believe the “from my own eyes” anecdotes that Indians keep significantly worse homes & yards when I see the market confirm that – by prices falling in areas where Indians are, say, 30% or more of the population. All my info in these past few weeks of house hunting in DFW is that all such neighborhoods have & hold some of the best prices in town. In my house hunting experience, all in neighborhoods with a significant number of Indians, not just are the yards very nice, but the prices seem unrealistically high to me!

Although I have not been to CHN myself, there is the Italian poster here who lives in CHN and seems to agree with my impression about yards. The problem with “from my own eyes” type anecdotes is that you cannot discount for your own subconsciously or consciously held prejudices and anxieties. Like I said, if these are indeed true, the market would have spoken by now as I am sure there are many neighborhoods in DFW where large numbers of Indians have been resident >10 years.

2/ I am also sure that there will be occasional less than pristine Indian yards, but there can be other explanations for that, beside the Indian-ness.

A hypothesis: Indians are the richest ethnic/racial group in the US, with median income of $88,000, versus $49,000 for the generic US household & 75K for the next richest group (Filipino Am). They are also the most educated, with 70% college or higher, vs 28% average US & 53% for next highest ethnic group (Korean Am) (Source of data: The Rise of Asian Americans | Pew Social & Demographic Trends)

The industries where they are present in high numbers – technology, medicine & finance – are all highly demanding and many HR / recruiters in these industries actually prefer Indians for the long hours they put in, lack of absenteeism, etc., in comparison to their native colleagues. This fact is sometime used against them, as in the campaign against H1B visas, where it is argued that employers are “abusing” the H1B system as they get to “exploit” Indians. (As someone on an H1B myself, that I find to be bull****!)

3/ With rare exceptions, Indians are fiscally very conservative. In areas that, say, have an average home price of 400K, my sense is that the typical Indian family is earning on average twice the amount of their white neighbors, because they have bought a home much lesser than what they qualify for. As an e.g., we are looking for a home in the 350-450K range, and our annual salary is only slightly below 350K. I have been told we qualify for 1.2 million but there is no way I would take on that amount as debt, even if the word mortgage sounds better than debt. We plan to pay 100k as down payment, and although we’ll take a 15 yr loan, we will pay it off in 5 years. I know it is changing nowadays, but when I left India more than a decade ago, you bought a home only when you could buy it cash, and any form of credit was looked down upon.

According to language previously used on this thread, I guess that will make us cheap. But in things that matter to me, I am not “cheap”. E.g., ever since we discovered the industrial nature of American food production & the pesticide / chemicals soaked dairy, produce & meat that is sold beneath all those lush pastures pictured on the labels, our family is 100% organic, and pay on average 3 -4 x or more for our weekly groceries. I know that more Indians than Americans are sensitive to these issues (& which partly explains why you see relatively more Indians at Whole Foods and why they stock much more Indian foods than your regular grocery store). And there are many other things where you will not find Indians to be cheap – like gifting their children fully paid homes at weddings, gifting a fully paid medical education, etc - and these are mostly families that cannot (in the American sense) afford these gifts.

Anyway, all the above data points tell me that, on higher paid, more technically demanding jobs, the average Indian couple is putting in significantly more hours at work than their white neighbors. This may mean a little lesser time to work in the yard in comparison to their neighbors who are making half their incomes on less demanding jobs.

If it had been a white doctor or IT couple, the occasional less than pristine yard would have been explained by the fact of them being extremely busy. But because it is the Indian doctor or IT couple, it is explained by their Indian-ness, reflecting (& confirming) the observer’s inherent bias. There is also the little fact that most folks with these biases cannot out price Indians and keep them away, as they can do with some other minorities. That adds to the anxiety I think I see lurking unsaid in many of the posts here.

4/ The cultural stereotypes work the other way too. I have been hearing of Indian families move out of predominantly white neighborhoods as their kids enter their teens. They are uncomfortable with their kids being exposed to drugs & promiscuity, teenage pregnancies and a general low regard for academics in these schools, in comparison to schools/neighborhoods where south & east Asians are the majority. Another concern I have heard mentioned among south Asians is the anxiety that their kids will find the high divorce rates and ubiquitous “step-families” in such neighborhoods to be a normal thing as they enter their adult lives. As with the other stereotypes on this thread, these Indian held stereotypes are also unfair on many levels – because of the generalization and lack of understanding, among others.

5/ I am sorry if any of the above comes across as rambling, too defensive or insensitive – but much worse has been already posted on this thread and I felt some of the generalities here had to be disputed.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by MovingtoDFW; 02-08-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,357,642 times
@MovingtoDFW.

I wouldnt worry about it. In my opinion, Indians are very well recieved in the DFW area. I live in the Russell Creek area of Plano and at least 1/2 or my neighborhood is Indian (most of which are first generation). I find my neighbors take good care of their property's and are very personable when I meet them. I have welcomed them into my home and have been welcomed into theirs.

Im sure you will be well recieved.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 PM

176 posts, read 409,785 times
And yet I see posts all the time from various ethnic groups who are seeking areas where other "you fill in the blank" live.
Just sayin'.
PC is a one way street. Enough said.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM

21 posts, read 31,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Overall what many people of other cultures don't understand is how to do home maintenance, work a screwdriver or paint a wall. Many don't know you have to actually hand water a tree or correctly schedule a sprinkler system. These are things we learn here in the states most of the time from our youth but it's a foreign concept to many people.

That's why they like new construction. Many can't wrap their brain around what's needed on older existing homes.

Being a RE agent I can't join in this discussion but there are many accuracies on this thread.
Rakin, I'm confused you said you can't join the conversation, but you sure did dive in head first.

Since you are so knowledgeable, then please also educate us all with your opinion about black homeowners or Mexican homeowners.

You probably lost many potential clients by your stupidity...MORON!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,320,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katefrisco View Post
And yet I see posts all the time from various ethnic groups who are seeking areas where other "you fill in the blank" live.
Just sayin'.
PC is a one way street. Enough said.

Why dont you just fill in the blanks instead of copping out..if you want to say something just say it.

Where do the whites live, where do the blacks live, where do the mexicans live, where do the chinese live, indians...etc etc.

Dont hide behind the quotes "you fill in the blank". People who are not from the united states and come from other countries ask simply to find resources (food, places of worship, a way to get to know families from their own ethnic back ground to celebrate festivals and such).

And lets not forget people who come in from other countries just dont know the protocol yet of what is "the right thing to say".

If one is well traveled then they will know that their are different methods of communication in other countries. As a person learns then they can follow the "when in rome...."

But if a person is new to this country and they dont have the support system in place or friends, how are they to know.

I have had many friends who have recently moved from india, and if they some something that makes me "cringe". I have point blankly educated them, "I know its okay to say that back home, but here you cant say stuff like that..its just not correct".

...have you ever thought..that people who ask such questions...just dont know?

Sheesh.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,320,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentakash View Post
Rakin, I'm confused you said you can't join the conversation, but you sure did dive in head first.

Since you are so knowledgeable, then please also educate us all with your opinion about black homeowners or Mexican homeowners.

You probably lost many potential clients by your stupidity...MORON!
...and lack of wanting to understand your potential clients needs and wants...rep points given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas