U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM

2,812 posts, read 3,570,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
A salesman thinks it is wrong for his company to lose money on a sale...
But you'll make up for it in volume!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,603,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentakash View Post
I have to set the record straight here guys, and don't worry it's not racist because I too am Indian. Calling an Indian cheap is like saying African American men have big.......feet.

We are usually proud of our cheapness, it's not really an insult. I guess if people were trying to be nasty about it then it would be an issue. The stereotype of indians being cheap has some truth to it. And yes i agree with MovingtoDFW that Indians do spend money, a lot of money actually on things like education, weddings(waaay to much on weddings), kids, homes. But thee are a lot that Indians will not typically spend a lot of money on...like cars, clothes, entertainment in general, restaurants, and yes landscaping as much of this thread was about. Landscaping part is true, if I drive around on Sunday afternoon through the neighborhood the only people i see planting tulips and trimming bushes are white. Caucasians definitely have more pride about their lawn and landscaping and this probably goes way back to the old days.

However, I would disagree that you can point out an Indian's lawn in this day and age. This may have been true 15 years ago but now if there is a lawn issue then it needs to be taken up with Jorge's lawn service. Indians may not have all the fancy flowers and stuff but usually i would say the lawn is in pretty decent shape(but again this not through any effort of their own).

I really don't have much of an issue with people sharing their opinions even if it's controversial except for Rakin, how are you gonna be a real estate agent and call out people you have to do business with. If i put my house for sale and you gave me an offer I would contact the buyer directly and tell them to change agents and then we'd have a deal! Then I'd come to your house and mow your lawn to write KARMA is a B! Then all the indians in your neighborhood can tell their friends "I can point out where the dumb white guy lives in our neighborhood just by looking at his lawn!"
Not Indian am Black. Cheap? What's cheap about wanting to keep your money instead of give it to someone else? I'm trying to get the best deal I can get. If you do a deal that loses money for the store/dealer- that's on the store/dealer. I have no responsibility to them. I'd call it smart, not cheap. If a car dealer can't do a deal- You can walk and they can walk. That's the great thing about this country.

-we deal as equals. by mutual consent to mutual advantage

Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM

323 posts, read 514,555 times
Sales people want you to pay sticker price and make things easy for them by handing over your money, if you try to negotiate than you are cheap. My wife has this issue of worrying about everybody's opinion and it gets costly.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM

231 posts, read 281,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentakash View Post
I have to set the record straight here guys, and don't worry it's not racist because I too am Indian. Calling an Indian cheap is like saying African American men have big.......feet.

We are usually proud of our cheapness, it's not really an insult. I guess if people were trying to be nasty about it then it would be an issue. The stereotype of indians being cheap has some truth to it. And yes i agree with MovingtoDFW that Indians do spend money, a lot of money actually on things like education, weddings(waaay to much on weddings), kids, homes. But thee are a lot that Indians will not typically spend a lot of money on...like cars, clothes, entertainment in general, restaurants, and yes landscaping as much of this thread was about. Landscaping part is true, if I drive around on Sunday afternoon through the neighborhood the only people i see planting tulips and trimming bushes are white. Caucasians definitely have more pride about their lawn and landscaping and this probably goes way back to the old days.

However, I would disagree that you can point out an Indian's lawn in this day and age. This may have been true 15 years ago but now if there is a lawn issue then it needs to be taken up with Jorge's lawn service. Indians may not have all the fancy flowers and stuff but usually i would say the lawn is in pretty decent shape(but again this not through any effort of their own).

I really don't have much of an issue with people sharing their opinions even if it's controversial except for Rakin, how are you gonna be a real estate agent and call out people you have to do business with. If i put my house for sale and you gave me an offer I would contact the buyer directly and tell them to change agents and then we'd have a deal! Then I'd come to your house and mow your lawn to write KARMA is a B! Then all the indians in your neighborhood can tell their friends "I can point out where the dumb white guy lives in our neighborhood just by looking at his lawn!"
I have to disagree. You may not but I do have an issue with being called cheap and the place I buy a home at being called "Cheap Hills". You may be 2nd gen and less sensitive to these things, but I am, esp. so because I do not think cheap describes me at all. Yes, mine is the only Honda Civic besides Infinitis & BMWs in the building parking lot, but I pay the highest rent for an apt with water views on 3 sides. Their monthly grocery bill plus car payments will be less than my grocery bill of 100% pesticide & chemical free foods. Yes I don't dine as much at "fancy" restaurants, but that is because I honestly don't like the food (been to enough of them on job interviews, etc). I don't spend as much for entertainment, but that is because my entertainment is inexpensive - with family & relatives and home cooked meals, every weekend. And yes we won't be planting tulips in our new home but both our jobs are extremely demanding and we will not have the time - that doesn't mean we will let it go to trash.

The thing is, if we were white, without the accent and did not stand out as much culturally - there would be nicer terms to describe us, like thrifty / family focused & other nice things, instead of cheap.

I think I am done with responding to posts here. I am normally not so confrontational, actually very restrained, and am sorry if some of the language I used here has been strong. Something about the apparent consensus in the early posts on this thread got to me, esp. the post calling CHN Cheap Hills because mostly Indians lived there. I know many Indians may not care as much, but if you do care, such majoritarian consensus that apparently predicts your behavior and character does not feel nice, and you feel compelled to dispute.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM

115 posts, read 161,279 times
If I were you, I wouldn't give much weight to opinions of realtors and auto salesmen, that's a hard to please breed unless you are ready to take a loss on every deal and can do it fast. Most of them like to save money and time more than you do. If they wanted a challenging job than they would've gone to other professions. Ones who are ethical and professional value money and time of clients as much as theirs and they keep business dealings to business place, not be nice on your face and ***** behind your back.

Now, that you are in States, try to stop saving and join the style rich- cash poor lifestyle and tip like millionaires even if you are in debt yourself. I am a Mexican immigrant and can relate to discrimination against minorities but try not to stereotype Caucasians as they come in all shapes and sizes just like us.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM

662 posts, read 1,186,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
I have to disagree. You may not but I do have an issue with being called cheap and the place I buy a home at being called "Cheap Hills". You may be 2nd gen and less sensitive to these things, but I am, esp. so because I do not think cheap describes me at all. Yes, mine is the only Honda Civic besides Infinitis & BMWs in the building parking lot, but I pay the highest rent for an apt with water views on 3 sides. Their monthly grocery bill plus car payments will be less than my grocery bill of 100% pesticide & chemical free foods. Yes I don't dine as much at "fancy" restaurants, but that is because I honestly don't like the food (been to enough of them on job interviews, etc). I don't spend as much for entertainment, but that is because my entertainment is inexpensive - with family & relatives and home cooked meals, every weekend. And yes we won't be planting tulips in our new home but both our jobs are extremely demanding and we will not have the time - that doesn't mean we will let it go to trash.

The thing is, if we were white, without the accent and did not stand out as much culturally - there would be nicer terms to describe us, like thrifty / family focused & other nice things, instead of cheap.

I think I am done with responding to posts here. I am normally not so confrontational, actually very restrained, and am sorry if some of the language I used here has been strong. Something about the apparent consensus in the early posts on this thread got to me, esp. the post calling CHN Cheap Hills because mostly Indians lived there. I know many Indians may not care as much, but if you do care, such majoritarian consensus that apparently predicts your behavior and character does not feel nice, and you feel compelled to dispute.
I don't blame you Moving to DFW. I'm not Indian. I'm as white-bread as they come--born and raised in Wisconsin to a Lutheran and a Catholic, mainly Danish and Irish as ancestry. I read these early posts as if I were watching a train wreck. I'm actually happy to have people say it out loud, so we know these feelings exist. Where I was brought-up, the only minority was one Chinese family who owned the local Chinese restaurant. The rest of the people were white. Let me tell you, there were some lovely lawns and some horrible ones.

I am now married to a Jewish/Israeli guy. There is a lot of nasty stuff people say about Jews and cheapness too, so I get it.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,296,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I don't blame you Moving to DFW. I'm not Indian. I'm as white-bread as they come--born and raised in Wisconsin to a Lutheran and a Catholic, mainly Danish and Irish as ancestry. I read these early posts as if I were watching a train wreck. I'm actually happy to have people say it out loud, so we know these feelings exist. Where I was brought-up, the only minority was one Chinese family who owned the local Chinese restaurant. The rest of the people were white. Let me tell you, there were some lovely lawns and some horrible ones.

I am now married to a Jewish/Israeli guy. There is a lot of nasty stuff people say about Jews and cheapness too, so I get it.

This
The ironic thing is that if an Indian posted a thread asking about moving to Castle Hills, some of the very same Indian bashers on here would be quick to talk about "Move to Castle Hills! Wonderful, diverse area where everyone is welcome!" If you dont believe me, pull up some old CH threads and you will see what I'm talking about. Finally, we all can know the truth about how folks REALLY feel about all this "diversity". And as for the Rakin guy, smh...you really messed up. I had considered you, along with Naima to be the two realtors that I would gladly recommend to people...not anymore...first rule of business, keep your personal feelings out of it. Live and learn.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM

662 posts, read 1,186,143 times
Thank you biafraforlife!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM

6,911 posts, read 9,598,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Not Indian am Black. Cheap? What's cheap about wanting to keep your money instead of give it to someone else? I'm trying to get the best deal I can get. If you do a deal that loses money for the store/dealer- that's on the store/dealer. I have no responsibility to them. I'd call it smart, not cheap. If a car dealer can't do a deal- You can walk and they can walk. That's the great thing about this country.

-we deal as equals. by mutual consent to mutual advantage
As the person in car sales that is the target of a lot of ignorant remarks here, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Walk if you don't like the deal, the store can say no thank you too. I chimed in on the subject because the stereotype of cheap towards a certain nationality did NOT have to do with what type of house or neighborhood or car one owned, but on the way many of that nationality negotiate.

NEWSFLASH: EVERYONE NEGOTIATES A CAR PURCHASE!

In 8 years of selling over 1200 cars, I can count on one hand the times people paid full sticker price. I would imagine people in Real Estate would say the same thing. If you want to make this a long time career, you don't want to make a ton off any one customer. If they buy the car for too much, it is hard to trade them out of it later on down. A long term salesperson is dependent on repeat and referral business. You don't get it if you don't take care of your customer and give them a fair deal.

However unlike Real Estate where an agent gets a percentage of the price sold, a car salesman gets a commission off the gross profit. In most dealerships if the deal does not make a profit, the salesman makes a flat $100. I have no problem with this, it is called a mini deal. I would rather work fast, sell a lot of cars at cost and make it up by reaching bonuses for volume.

My ranting here (since it is unprofessional to ever do so with a customer) was not about someone getting a good deal. It is about people who take up your time and offer a price thousands of dollars behind cost (which is easily found on the internet) and then treat you with disdain when you can't do it. That is where the "cheap" label comes from. Sorry if it is offensive to be the one to point this out. I have many, many Asian customers who are a joy to work with, who have been repeat customers and send many referrals. I have also run into a number of good ol' Texans who are rude and obnoxious about the deal as well, but in different ways. As you can see from posts here, a large number of people come in the door with a negative attitude toward salesmen, so that doesn't make the job any easier.

All in all, most customers are not this rude and brazen as I describe, but the stereotype in my business is the Indian customer is the one that most often will offer a price that cannot buy the car and then be rude in the process. Not all, but a higher percentage than other nationalities.

Ok, have had my say, will bow out and let you folks get back to worrying about Castle Hills North.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM

19,641 posts, read 53,545,549 times
This thread is long past its sell-by date. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas