U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,284,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Pretty sure those are patio homes. Other than being gated I would take the same money I would spend there and get a home with a yard in the older section of CH.
You wouldn't even need to buy in the older section. There are homes in the main section in the 350k range.. built in 2006 or so.

Why someone would spend that in CHN when they could live in the main part of CH's, is beyond me.

The reserve is a garden community. It's very nice though. Most of the homes in there are in the 300-380k range. I think the reserve is VERY nice, but I prefer to have a yard and I don't like the $125 HOA fee. It's gated but the gates are open during the day for maintenance and I don't think it's worth the $125 per month extra to live in there.

With that said, I would live in the reserve in a second over CHN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM

695 posts, read 1,224,035 times
The power lines in CHN are worse than the ones in the older part of the neighborhood. In addition, while you can hear the train in the older part of the neighborhood, it is much noisier in CHN.

Many of the kids who attend Independence Elementary (serving CHN, CHW and if memory serves, the Reserve) are bused in from a less affluent part of the district.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM

69 posts, read 96,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
You wouldn't even need to buy in the older section. There are homes in the main section in the 350k range.. built in 2006 or so.

Why someone would spend that in CHN when they could live in the main part of CH's, is beyond me.

The reserve is a garden community. It's very nice though. Most of the homes in there are in the 300-380k range. I think the reserve is VERY nice, but I prefer to have a yard and I don't like the $125 HOA fee. It's gated but the gates are open during the day for maintenance and I don't think it's worth the $125 per month extra to live in there.

With that said, I would live in the reserve in a second over CHN.
Again brings up the price concern, 350K gets how many sq feet?? There are houses in CHN that can be had for 250 - 275... Apples and Oranges.... Comparing CHN to CH is unfair since it is a different product.

When you can find something in CH for $250K ... then you can compare apples to apples....

Also for $350k in CHN you will get over 3600 sq ft, with a lot of upgrades ...

Most houses in CHN sold around 300K average... and this isnt just the houses on the 40's (which by the way I would avoid)

Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont see what the big deal is about having Indians as neighbors. About 1/3-1/2 of my neighborhood is South Asian and they have been wonderful neighbors.
Thank you! Also you can have an anglo, latino, black, etc and they have the same chances of being wonderful... people are people.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:36 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,912,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princealyy View Post
Again brings up the price concern, 350K gets how many sq feet?? There are houses in CHN that can be had for 250 - 275... Apples and Oranges.... Comparing CHN to CH is unfair since it is a different product.

When you can find something in CH for $250K ... then you can compare apples to apples....

Most houses in CHN sold around 300K average... and this isnt just the houses on the 40's (which by the way I would avoid)
It's not all about the square footage, there is alot more to complete the value picture of a home, location being the MOST important aspect. Think QUALITY not QUANTITY. Otherwise why would be people pay for less square footage closer into the metro area.

Lastly, from what I recall the model house I was interested in (before I visited the neighborhood) finished out in the very high $300s-I thought they were hideously overpriced. And anyone who buys a 40' lot in a neighborhood with 50s and 55s is putting themselves at a disadvantage right out of the gate since resale on those won't be nearly as strong.

There are few arguments you can make for CHN being better CH. In fact, there are none.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
It's not all about the square footage, there is alot more to complete the value picture of a home, location being the MOST important aspect. Think QUALITY not QUANTITY. Otherwise why would be people pay for less square footage closer into the metro area.

Lastly, from what I recall the model house I was interested in (before I visited the neighborhood) finished out in the very high $300s-I thought they were hideously overpriced. And anyone who buys a 40' lot in a neighborhood with 50s and 55s is putting themselves at a disadvantage right out of the gate since resale on those won't be nearly as strong.
I agree with you on the 40's they are really small lots, I just think it depends on the persons budget, we didn't want to spend anywhere need 300K, we went into with a budget of $180 - 200K, and drove by CHN on a fluke, and decided to buy here, I dont think in our budget we could have bought anything in the older part of CH, which I really do like.

Again to each his own, some people will hate on CHN, some will love it, and others will be indifferent.

We love our house and our neighborhood, and it works for our place in life, however when we get older and have kids things might change and we may start to look elsewhere and feel the same things that you felt when you visited CHN.

Only time will tell....

Last edited by princealyy; 03-06-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,284,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princealyy View Post

There are houses right around where I live in the main part of CH's that are 3200 sqft with plenty of upgrades for 350k. How much square feet does one really need? A family with 2 or 3 kids wouldn't be fine in 3200sqft? The OP is in this price range... why on earth would the OP buy in CHN when she can get something in CH?

IF the OP said she was looking for a 250k house and wanted to live right around here, then CHN would be fitting if they were ok with living with majority south asians.... but their budget is up to 400k. They could come in 50k under budget and live in more established part of CH's.

You are right though.. comparing the regular part of CH's to CHN is apples and oranges. One is much nicer than the other.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:55 PM

53 posts, read 159,788 times
Interesting I came here to find out if it is true that Hebron is no longer going to be the high school for CHN - but the Colony is? ANyone have any information on that?

Regarding the indians - my neighbor across the street is an older retired couple, the neighbor on the corner is an African American male married to a white woman. We are an Italian family - there is a predominately Indian community and we do feel that we are a minority here. It is our understanding that once they trust a builder they will continue to refer and send people to that builder. I believe that they live American Legend. We closed on our home in Sept and have considered putting it up for sale already and taking a bath on it so to speak. We most likely will in April - and will just move further north to Prosper or the like - we were new to Texas and really did not know too much....

We almost bought a home in the Reserve in Castle hills and now wish we would of. Having said that, I have NEVER seen anything from anyone of my neighbors that makes me think they do not take care of their homes (they are always out working on the yards on the weekend) or that they will not in the future.

Also, they are MIGHTY mad if the move goes to the Colony.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,912,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoTexas2 View Post
Interesting I came here to find out if it is true that Hebron is no longer going to be the high school for CHN - but the Colony is? ANyone have any information on that?

Regarding the indians - my neighbor across the street is an older retired couple, the neighbor on the corner is an African American male married to a white woman. We are an Italian family - there is a predominately Indian community and we do feel that we are a minority here. It is our understanding that once they trust a builder they will continue to refer and send people to that builder. I believe that they live American Legend. We closed on our home in Sept and have considered putting it up for sale already and taking a bath on it so to speak. We most likely will in April - and will just move further north to Prosper or the like - we were new to Texas and really did not know too much....

We almost bought a home in the Reserve in Castle hills and now wish we would of. Having said that, I have NEVER seen anything from anyone of my neighbors that makes me think they do not take care of their homes (they are always out working on the yards on the weekend) or that they will not in the future.

Also, they are MIGHTY mad if the move goes to the Colony.
Sorry to hear that, and thanks for proving part of our point here.

This is a great example of why one should rent before buying when moving down there. I have done exhaustive research, have family down there and visit twice a year and I would still consider renting. There are things you just can't find out until you live there.

How do you like it there otherwise? Where did move from. I am Italian too.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM

695 posts, read 1,224,035 times
I am looking at CH listings right now, and there is plenty available in the original phases for $350K or less. Four or more bedrooms, three or more bathrooms, most over 3000 square feet and a couple at around 3500 square feet. You owe it to yourself to at least look to see what's available in the older part of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas