Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 AM

105 posts, read 228,773 times

Advertisements

I also had a question. I'm not looking to make a permanent move to the area (SA is long-term fine for me). However, I have been looking into graduate school, and right now I'm looking at Rice, SMU, or UTD. I already lived in Houston, however, and I am less interested in Rice than SMU, so I'd like to make my way to DFW, especially since my older brother and sister live there. However, they live in far north (Frisco and Plano) DFW, and I've gotten accustomed to using public transportation and being close to everything I need to do, so I don't really want to live in those areas, though they may be more affordable.

Does anyone have suggestions for areas that have a lot more trees but isn't as busy (I'm thinking the neighborhoods on DNT near its southern terminus at 35E but affordable)? The only area of Dallas we've had the opportunity to look at is along Harry Hines, and that's... obviously not something I'd consider, nor is it convenient to SMU from my memory.

EDIT: I'm trying to go up to the doctoral level in my studies, so I'll be there long enough to have a child starting school near the end of my studies. So schools will be a concern. Also, I don't think this will make much of a difference, but I'm a black professional, but obviously I'm not trying to go to a more suburban/less walkable area.

Last edited by makiten; 02-29-2012 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Added other info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 01:22 PM

92 posts, read 162,507 times
^ You may want to consider Richardson. You may have the option of renting a house near 75 and commuting by DART to SMU or renting in the neighborhood on the other side of Campbell and bike to UTD or use your car if you prefer. Richardson has excellent schools. As a matter of fact, there is an excellent elementary school very close to UTD. Most of Richardson is a very diverse community also.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
There is an area just a few blocks east of SMU with apartments and condos that would be good - it's bordered by Greenville Avenue, Lover's Lane, Skillman and DART rail/Katy Trail Extension. E. University runs through. There are older apartments from the late 60s and early 70s, converted condos that are very spacious with real fireplaces and dens (some are three bedroom), newer totally redone converted condos, and new apartments. A complex was just torn down recently on Lover's for a new development.

There are many SMU students and staff living there and a free shuttle goes through there to SMU and two DART rail stations - one is next to Central Expressway by Greenville Avenue between Lover's and University.

To the east, there is White Rock Lake, to the south Greenville Avenue, M-Streets and Lakewood and to the north, North Park Mall and Northwest Highway. There's a Whole Foods on the east side of North Park and a Central Market just steps away at Lover's and Greenville.

It's in the Stonewall Jackson Elementary zone, one of the top schools in the area:

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...cksonS2011.pdf See northern section of map. Just to the north is a large area called "The Village". It's a famous area of apartments mostly populated by singles but is not in the Stonewall Jackson zone--you may hear people discussing this...

Last edited by Lakewooder; 02-29-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 PM

105 posts, read 228,773 times
Thanks, everyone! These are the locations I was considering were I to relocate Dallas. I think this would immediate push my preference to going to Dallas over going back to Houston. These neighborhoods look much better and more affordable.

It also sounds like a nice place to invest in even after we would be ready to head back home.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I would follow Lakewooder's spot-on suggestion above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas