U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 AM

743 posts, read 1,063,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Lynwood View Post
What elementary schools are good in Lakewood?
...Lakewood Elementary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,798,822 times
Lakewood Elementary is an exemplary, Blue-Ribbon school. Here's a newsletter: Stallion Stomp The schools are a way of life in our area and many families have several generations who have attended them - that's why some people have a difficult time comprehending them from the outside.

Veteran Real Estate expert Candace Evans was recently on News 8 Daybreak touting Lakewood and its schools - here is one of her news items:

Lakewood | Candy's Dirt | Dallas Real Estate News and Blog by Former Dallas Dirt Editor Candy Evans

This Old House Magazine also cited schools a couple of years ago when it named Junius Heights as "the best neighborhood for families to buy". It has a Lipscomb/Long/Woodrow Wilson school sequence.

Each fall we have a Lakewood Home tour which raises hundreds of thousands for our schools:

2010 Lakewood Home Festival - 34th Annual Home Tour[Dallas] - - you can also get to the LECPTA site from this article.

We are implementing International Baccaluareate in our schools - the high school http://woodrowwildcats.org/ has already earned IB World School status and the middle school http://www.jllong.com/about.html was chosen as a candidate for IB MYP and is already offering the curriculum, including Mandarin Chinese. In fact a couple of weeks ago we had some exchange students and teacher from China at both schools. We had Russian visitors last fall and French visitors the spring prior. Pre-IB students just got back from a trip to Costa Rica. IB students are planning trips to Spain and China this summer and London and Paris next spring.

Woodrow has also been on the list of top schools in American in Newsweek and The Washington Post:

Ranking America's High Schools 2011 - The Washington Post This is based on AP participation - in addition to IB, Woodrow offers 22 AP and 8 dual-credit classes. IB tests will be in the mix in the rankings next year.

We have top programs in Perfoming Arts Best PUBLIC High School for education and arts. and Athletics - Dallas Morning News top ten in North Texas in sports - we have won nine district titles this year. Debate and mock trial are also strong.

All that said, some people have a problem because the affluent and mostly white kids from Lakewood and Stonewall Jackson attend the secondary schools with a large number of minority and poor kids. There is some division by race and class - see this blog from an alumna taking a college semester abroad in Paris: Mademoiselle Sainte-Chapelle Ultimately I and others (including Texas Monthly many years ago in a story on the school) think that this is an invaluable learning experience which puts us ahead in categories that are not easily quantified. So if this is not your cup of tea...

I have rambled on trying to explain this and as some mentioned it is a bit of a drive compared to some other locations - however, some areas which are actually closer may have worse traffic.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 04-20-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 AM

39 posts, read 65,204 times
I live in Junius Heights(75214) and want to add that to the mix if you are considering the "Lakewood area". For your budget it might be better suited. Junius Heights is a historic neighborhood with the largest collection of craftsman style homes. You mentioned funky, I grew up in Austin and it has an Austinesque feel in my opinion. Junius Heights is a porch community. We know our neighbors, live in walk-able distance to shopping and restaurants,have a safe neighborhood and it is close to major highways making commutes relatively easy.
I am part of a group who made a very conscious and informed decision to choose our neighborhood elementary before our kids even entered school, Lipscomb. My kids have had a great education, made great neighborhood friendships, and the teachers are overall fantastic! Long and Woodrow are both IB programs and Lipscomb is considering IB.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM

5,959 posts, read 7,504,091 times
I cant speak to the commute from Lakewood to Irving but can for the Plano to Irving commute which I make. Yes its toll roads which cost something but save you a lot of time, my commute from west Plano to west Irving take under 30 minutes when I leave by 7am and leave work by 4:30pm. Rush hour will take 15 minutes or so longer. Plano has great schools for the kids and a good number of businesses for your search for a job. I dont recall seeing your line of work but Plano has a pretty broad set of companies located in it. There are great options near where your hubby is working, welcome to Tx and hope you have a great move and enjoy it here as much as we do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or