U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,259 times

Advertisements

I am moving soon and want help with Dallas neighborhoods to live in. We are open to new and funky things, but have kids and so want a safe, family neighborhood to live in. Must have stellar public schools and excellent preschools. Needs to have trees, homes with space around them (not looking into your neighbor's window), prefer an established area, but have found it hard to find the homes we like in the same area as the schools we like.

Ideally, it would be an accessible area, with great schools, nice homes, safety enough to let kids ride their bikes and play outdoors, etc. Too much of a cookie cutter environment is not a good thing for us.

Homes under $300k.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,257,937 times
Where will you be working? Offhand, I'd say either Lakewood or Richardson but if you're working in, say, Arlington, then probably not.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 AM

690 posts, read 1,442,757 times
Hello;

I have accumulated these links from previous entrants on this forum.

The rule of thumb is to live close to work. Preferable by 20 miles; the commute from one side of the metro to the other can be a headache.
In order to focus in on a neighborhood or community that would fit your needs and budget; the usual questions apply: *Would be helpful.

City of employment:
Budget : Under 300K
Possible size of Home
What kind of home (1 story/2 story) obviously in a safe, quiet neighborhood.: One for kids to play with.
Amenities
# bedrooms you want
What type of community or neighborhood are you looking for. : Not a cookie cutter home
Schools ? Good Schools
Church ?
Recreation?
Any special needs/ wants/desires/shopping etc.

Rental finder:
Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Dallas Crime spotter:
Dallas, TX Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Dallas - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Fort worth crime map:
Crime Information | Fort Worth, Texas, Police Department
dallas schools:
http://www.richpatterson.net/images/2011SchoolsInfo.pdf

DFW School report card:
2009-10 School Report Card

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

National Center for Education Statistics:
Search for Public Schools

Schools on the West side:
Schools Information / Public School Websites
Best public schools for child with AUTISM

autism:
Autism Speaks |
https://www.bigtent.com/groups/spectrum

Plano special education:
Special Education : Plano ISD

Texas Schools:
Texas Accountability Rating System

Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Default reply to your question

My husband will be working in Irving/Las Colinas. I am currently unemployed, but will be looking for work in advertising/production and I do not want to set myself up for a horrible commute. We like FM and Highland Village so far. But we are also considering Coppell (what we can afford), Richardson, Plano, Grapevine, Carrollton and possibly lower Frisco. Trophy Club is still on our list as well.

We are leaning toward FM because it has an established feel and family feel. But we have a daughter in Gifted and Talented and I want to ensure she is the best program for her educational progress and I would like it to be balanced with character building, self-expression and fun - not solely academics.

Another concern is huge schools. Is there any indication that FM will build more high schools in the near future to lower the enrollment at FM and Marcus?

Our children are young, so we can always relocate later on for an ideal high school situation, but we would rather settle down and grow roots in a well-rounded, somewhat progressive and family-oriented (but not click-y environment.) It's all about the kids - but it doesn't hurt if the parents can live in an awesome place, too!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,824,904 times
Have you checked out Lakewood? It's not that close to Irving / Las Colinas, but I know quite a few who work there and it's about 30 minutes going by NW Highway or cutting over to I-35. DART rail is opening over there and you could go via Mockingbird Station or Baylor Station. $300K is sort of on the low end for Lakewood so you would have to accept a smaller home rather than the McMansion lifestyle of other areas you mentioned. However, if Norman Rockwell had designed a neighborhood, it would be Lakewood. Search homes in 75214, 75206 and 75223.

Lakewood is often described as "a small town in the middle of the big city".

There are a lot of advertising types in this area! Our high school is about 1,600 - and it's an IB World School which also offers 22 AP and 8 dual credit classes. Self-expression and fun are paramount - and an 83-year tradition.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,727,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Lynwood View Post
My husband will be working in Irving/Las Colinas. I am currently unemployed, but will be looking for work in advertising/production and I do not want to set myself up for a horrible commute. We like FM and Highland Village so far. But we are also considering Coppell (what we can afford), Richardson, Plano, Grapevine, Carrollton and possibly lower Frisco. Trophy Club is still on our list as well.

We are leaning toward FM because it has an established feel and family feel. But we have a daughter in Gifted and Talented and I want to ensure she is the best program for her educational progress and I would like it to be balanced with character building, self-expression and fun - not solely academics.

Another concern is huge schools. Is there any indication that FM will build more high schools in the near future to lower the enrollment at FM and Marcus?

Our children are young, so we can always relocate later on for an ideal high school situation, but we would rather settle down and grow roots in a well-rounded, somewhat progressive and family-oriented (but not click-y environment.) It's all about the kids - but it doesn't hurt if the parents can live in an awesome place, too!
Richardson and Plano are not good commutes unless one drives on the very costly Bush Turnpike (toll road). Do you have an electric car? Gas prices really should be considered! Check out Colleyville and parts of Euless and Hurst are in CGVISD and are very nice areas.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 19,560,995 times
Colleyville was my thought, although that budget won't go too far there.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 AM

What elementary schools are good in Lakewood?

Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,017,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Have you checked out Lakewood? It's not that close to Irving / Las Colinas, but I know quite a few who work there and it's about 30 minutes going by NW Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Lynwood View Post
What elementary schools are good in Lakewood?
Lakewooder and I will disagree, but Lakewood may not be the place for you if you are looking for "stellar schools." The elementary "in" Lakewood is called Lakewood Elem. Others good elementaries nearby are Stonewall Jackson and Hexter. BUT... they are part of Dallas ISD which has a whole slew of issues by being a large urban school district. You really have to look at the individual school level. The feeder pattern for Stonewall and Lakewood is to J.L.Long Middle School and Woodrow Wilson HS. Search through the forum here for lots and lots of threads on it and then make your own decision. (Like I said, Lakewooder and I likely disagree on the schools in Lakewood. and yes, I live there)

Also, my husband commutes from Lakewood to Valley Ranch (north Irving, near Coppell). It can be relatively easy or a super beat-down. I wouldn't sign up for it again if we were just looking for a house.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 19,560,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Also, my husband commutes from Lakewood to Valley Ranch (north Irving, near Coppell). It can be relatively easy or a super beat-down. I wouldn't sign up for it again if we were just looking for a house.
I agree here. That is a pretty lengthy commute through a lot of traffic. Spending an hour each way in the car takes away a lot of time that could be spent with the family.

There are many nice places much closer to Las Colinas. Look on the Tarrant County side for much less traffic and a shorter commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or