U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:39 PM

509 posts, read 705,262 times

Advertisements

You said you didn't understand why they couldn't let more people on a bridge designed to handle cars. Murphy was pointing out that the limit had nothing to do with physical capacity, but was about the ability to evacuate that number of people in a safe manner. Or at least that's how I interpreted those posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 02:55 PM

931 posts, read 1,745,822 times
Dallas City Infrastructure is crumbling. Our streets and roads are in bad shape. Our water system is full of leaks. Libraries on short hours. Yet the City is always willing to spend money they don't have on things we don't need. If they want to sell these bridges and trinity development they should at least tell the truth and raise taxes to pay for it.

The Bridge they are just finishing on Northwest Highway over White Rock at least is functional and has 6 lanes.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:17 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,516,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
You said you didn't understand why they couldn't let more people on a bridge designed to handle cars. Murphy was pointing out that the limit had nothing to do with physical capacity, but was about the ability to evacuate that number of people in a safe manner. Or at least that's how I interpreted those posts.
Oh. Well that makes sense, the post anyway. I'm not sure why evacuation would take much longer with more people since there are no bottlenecks on the bridge. It's not like everyone has to filter through a door or anything.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 PM

931 posts, read 1,745,822 times
No there is another reason goes back to people crossing bridge in cadence causing the bridge to fall down

Quote:
Physical structures -- buildings, bridges, automobiles, or aircraft -- can vibrate. Like a violin, piano, or horn there are certain vibrations that reinforce one another. These are called resonances. They can cause the structure to vibrate with large and/or increasing amplitudes. This flexing puts stress on the same locations of the structure and the moving back and forth in the same place eventually weakens the structures at these flex points resulting in damage or failure.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,678,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcre8tive View Post
The bridge is one of the first pieces of the Trinity River Project (which may not be complete for a long time); it's also seen as an economic tool to open up land in West Dallas (historically lower income) for new development.

Opening gala last night: Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge opening gala | Dallas Morning News Photography - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Image by RCDave: 2012_03_02 MHH Fireworks as seen from Crow Park - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48783655@N04/sets/72157629135329386/ - broken link)
Gorgeous!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,802,339 times
The bridge is a hit with the people and that's what counts. Over 40,000 walked on it this past weekend. If you were at all on Facebook you saw many, many people posting photos. There have been several real estate projects recently announced that take advantage of the view. The cumulative cost of those easily surpass the cost of the bridge. I'll bet there will be even more in the near future.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,118,693 times
I hope the people who keep complaining about the bridge aren't also the ones who complain that Dallas does nothing to invest in anything south of the Trinity. I hope you're also not the people complaining about Dallas not having enough park space/outdoor places for people. Because this is one piece of a much larger puzzle addressing both of these things. Let's look beyond today.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:05 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,678,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The bridge is a hit with the people and that's what counts. Over 40,000 walked on it this past weekend. If you were at all on Facebook you saw many, many people posting photos. There have been several real estate projects recently announced that take advantage of the view. The cumulative cost of those easily surpass the cost of the bridge. I'll bet there will be even more in the near future.
On that note.... Developers have big plans for West Dallas incubator - Dallas Business Journal

I wasn't able to access the entire story via Google or Bing news searches, but what you can read here is very interesting indeed!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 AM

5,959 posts, read 7,506,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
I'm also tempted to diss the bridge as going to nowhere. Especially when seeing the satellite picture.

On the other hand, it'll probably be a perfectly reasonable bridge a couple of decades from now after some more progress.
Dallas needs to grow south of DT generally so if this opens up the undeveloped near DT areas it is needed long term. Traffic north and west of DT Dallas seems driven by all the growth that way. Houston grows to all 4 compass points (less to the East but not declining for sure) while Dallas seems to grew much slower south or am I missing something as a new DFW resident?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,491,734 times
they should have spent the money on the roads. The roads in North Texas are terrible and the roads in Dallas specifically are the worst of the worst. Pot holes and bumps everywhere. The bridge looks nice but it isnt a wise way to spend $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or