U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM

78 posts, read 78,074 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Southern Plano but my fiance is planning on relocating for a job to Greenville. We took a small tour of Greenville and I really didnt find it that impressive. I dont mind living in a small town or anything but I guess I expected a bit more. I am kind of scared to live in this town my fiance and I are an interracial couple. There seems to me a ton of diversity in Plano but not so much in Greenville. Could someone tell me what it is like in Greenville? Are interracial couples accepted? Are there lots of things to do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,576,530 times
Not accepting a person or a couple due to their race or relationship is ignorance. Greenville is a nice area- lots of elbow room and you can make life prefect out there as well. I am sure there might be parts of the town/city not to live in and parts that are great. I have a co worker that lives off Traders and they love it there. It's a bit country mixed with southern comforts

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM

350 posts, read 720,488 times
There is almost nothing to do and the city is a dump.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM

288 posts, read 397,825 times
This a a sign that hung in Greenville until the 60's. "The Blackest Land - The Whitest People"
Not trying to scare you, just saying get informed and talk to plenty of locals. Especially let the one of you who is not minority, if that is the case, feel out some locals.

One would like to think things have changed but as soon as we try to another incident happens. It wasn't that long ago a black teen went for a swim in a few feet of water with his white teen friends. They say he drowned though with his height all he had to do was stand to be above the water level. Then things always seem to be pushed under the covers if outside news media didn't come in. I'd do a lot of research.

A book has been written by someone who grew up there and here is what she has to say.

Author:
"This sign was hanging on the main street intersection of downtown, from the 1920s to the late 1960s, two blocks from where I lived. My hometown is Greenville, Texas. Greenville is known throughout the nation for two things: its unique slogan, "The Blackest Land - The Whitest People" and its famous 1908 lynching. The famous sign hung on the main street between our train station and our bus station. As soldiers and civilian passengers passed through our town, it provided a very conspicuous view. This book is about what it was like being black and growing up in Greenville, Texas. It is also in remembrance of all those before us who went through struggles to help people free themselves from undesirables which had previously enslaved us. Although we obtained certain rights, I give you a background and the history of why things were the way they were. Even a more valuable history is of why things are still the way they are, especially between blacks. Is it because of a single, powerful, twisted-minded genius 292 years ago, whose theory is still a powerful affront in the black race today? My hope is to help break this chain of enslavement of blacks against blacks in my hometown. History was not always pretty; but to say, "Forget the past," is saying Black History doesn't matter. Black history is American history, and it has been missing from the history books for a long time. My goal is not to keep bringing up the past. My goal is to include some of those that were there, and helped, endeared, molded, designed and build Greenville so that it is what it is today.....

Last edited by Ablebodied; 03-01-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 12:54 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,506,212 times
You might consider living in Rockwall and your fiancée driving in to Greenville for work. It's about a 30 minute commute on I30.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM

813 posts, read 1,766,364 times
You can try living in eastern McKinney. Straight shot down 380 to Greenville. We use it to get to I30 on our way to Hot Springs, AR. Should be a reverse commute both ways?
75069 Zip has more reasonably priced homes than west McK.
Good luck!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,124,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You might consider living in Rockwall and your fiancée driving in to Greenville for work. It's about a 30 minute commute on I30.

^^^^^^^^ THis ^^^^^^^^^^

Live in Rockwall or Fate and you can have the best of both worlds.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 AM

813 posts, read 1,766,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
^^^^^^^^ THis ^^^^^^^^^^

Live in Rockwall or Fate and you can have the best of both worlds.
I'll second those. Again a reverse commute!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:52 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,801 times
Greenville is not a good place.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM

754 posts, read 1,230,535 times
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a small town person at all. That said...

It's backwards, unsophisticated, and the schools are not good. Last I checked none of the elementary schools were recognized or exemplary. That's really rare. I used to work there. I quit. The attitudes of the townspeople were one of many reasons.

The people you would meet in stores, restaurants, etc. were nice. But it probably takes a long time for outsiders to feel that they fit in. Extremely conservative and most people are part of the religious right. It's a quite a ways from civilization (Rockwall). Not sure about the sure about the interracial thing, but it is a small, tight-knit town.

It made the list of worst TX small towns on the TX board.

Last edited by crankywithakeyboard; 03-03-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or