Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 AM

625 posts, read 1,955,779 times

Advertisements

I love East Plano. I spent the first 18 years of my life there. Parts of Plano, are crappy yes, specifically around 75. East Plano is experiencing a lot of urban decay- the revitalization of East Plano is a whole separate thread.

My problem with your post is the characterization that check cashing places and Wal-Marts != upscale. Again, I hate to break it to you, but a quick google shows that Highland Park has three checking cashing places. OMG!

Again, none of this matters. I actually don't care if you don't think Plano is upscale or not. I would agree with you in that the majority of it isn't, but to characterize the whole town as a dump is laughable at best.

Even with East Plano, Plano has the second-highest per family income in the N. Dallas area. The property values west of Preston would make all but Highland Park blush.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,814 times
Default Relocating to Allen, Tx

I am planning to relocate to Allen, TX... I have heard great things about the city and seen beautiful pictures of it. My husband went there this June and fell in love with the city. I am so ready to move. Also, I heard that schools are great. My only concern about moving is the weather... I have heard that there are tonados, bad hail storms and bad thunder storms. Can someone tell me if I am wrong and please let me know what the weather is really like In Allen.Thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times
I have been here (Mckinney)s ince the end of June and this is my experience..........
June....amazingly cool weather, windows open once or twice, rained a tons.
July.....still a ton of rain, warmer, and one belly washer of a rain storm while I was driving that I was a little scared..hail with tons of lighting, and strong winds.
august...........HOT and humid. thank goodness for the n'hood pool
sept.........HOT and humid....starting to feel a touch of fall in the mornings.
As for tornados, TX is in prone to Tornados...check the weather channel for statics. My in-laws gave us a weather raido when we moved--so maybe invest when you get here. I believe they are less than $50.
good luck with the move--Allen is a nice little area!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
Hah, first off, I went driving today, and I couldn't find a single check-cashing place West of Preston in Plano. I'm curious as to where you found one, because it's actually driving me crazy!

Frisco is a newer version of Plano which is a newer version of Richardson, which is a newer version of Garland/Mesquite. There's not really a character to any of the suburbs, it's basically a function of how old you were when you moved to the D/FW area and how wealthy you were when you came.

Also, FYI, there is a wal-mart in Highland Park. There are also Wal-Marts in Connecticut, and even one in White Plains, NY. I'm not quite sure your Wal-Mart theory holds true.

Let's see, Highland Park has a Whole Foods...Plano has that too. Okay, what about Central Market? Oh wait, Plano has the only other one in the North Dallas region.

I think Dallas has to way to go as a big city, but I think you're trying to make dallas into something it's not. Dallas will never be new york or chicago- those cities were established cities that existed long before cars. Dallas really grew after cars, and exploded in the 1950's heyday of cars, hence we have something called roads. When you have a lot of roads, you tend not to have very good public transportation systems and un-walkable cities. See Houston and Los Angeles for other examples of this phenomena

What I see Dallas trying to do now is build walkable enclaves in Uptown, the W, etc. We're never going to have a subway system. Dart is lame simply because not that very many people ride it. In New York, you ride subway tunnels that have existed since WWI. People's lives depend on that system working, which is why it's such a good infrastructure.

In Dallas, we've had light rail since 1995. So you can't compare the two.

I'm glad you liked the airport. Airport Trivia: D/FW airport is the size of the entire island of Manhattan.

Welcome to Texas.
Please tell me where the Walmart in Highland Park is. Also there is a Central Market at Lovers Lane and Greenville just a stone's throw from the Park Cities on the other side of Central.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 AM

134 posts, read 1,221,585 times
Quote:

Let's see, Highland Park has a Whole Foods...Plano has that too. Okay, what about Central Market? Oh wait, Plano has the only other one in the North Dallas region.
I am pretty sure I visited Central Market on a recent visit to The Highlands in Arlington. I'm also sure someone will correct me if this is but a dream.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Luckache, it looks like your views of DFW are pretty demented, based on the reaction from the locals.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:55 PM

457 posts, read 431,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Luckache, it looks like your views of DFW are pretty demented, based on the reaction from the locals.

Actually, his views are pretty accurate, in my opinion. Dallas is currently in the middle of a "down swing". Perhaps it can and will rebound, but, currently crime is on the rise, and the City's image is plummetting. Also, the Dallas Police Department is an absolute and corrupt joke.

Also, the fact that Texas routinely passes unconstitutional laws is a factor toconsider as well. Case in Point:

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/drp/drp.htm - broken link)

These are all in ADDITION to potential jail time and other appropriate court-ordered classes and fines. Although I am obviously opposed to drunk driving, it is conceiveable that you can serve jail time, pay large fines, perform community service, and then STILL have to pay $3000-6000 over a 3 year period! How many times can a state be allowed to pick your pockets and punish you? This also applies to less serious crimes such as speeding, which gives you points, which also results in License Surcharges and potential suspension!

Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Quote:
Also, FYI, there is a wal-mart in Highland Park. There are also Wal-Marts in Connecticut, and even one in White Plains, NY. I'm not quite sure your Wal-Mart theory holds true.

Where is there a Wal-Mart in Highland Park? As for Central Market, they have stores in Fort Worth and Southlake.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
Actually, his views are pretty accurate, in my opinion.
Think so? Well, where is the Highland Park Wal-Mart, then? Still think he's accurate?

Quote:
Dallas is currently in the middle of a "down swing".
Municipal Dallas is in an upswing, based upon the enormous growth in building and in the development of its cultural and entertainment facilities. Everywhere there is growth and progress.

Quote:
Perhaps it can and will rebound, but, currently crime is on the rise, and the City's image is plummetting.
You're deluded. Where are your numbers? NO? I didn't think so.

Quote:
Also, the fact that Texas routinely passes unconstitutional laws is a factor toconsider as well.

These are all in ADDITION to potential jail time and other appropriate court-ordered classes and fines. Although I am obviously opposed to drunk driving, it is conceiveable that you can serve jail time, pay large fines, perform community service, and then STILL have to pay $3000-6000 over a 3 year period! How many times can a state be allowed to pick your pockets and punish you? This also applies to less serious crimes such as speeding, which gives you points, which also results in License Surcharges and potential suspension!
So you were caught drunk driving and the state reamed you out? Good. It's drunks like you that need to get it where it hurts.
Case in Point:

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/drp/drp.htm - broken link)

Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 PM
hdb

7 posts, read 17,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Well, I saw pawn shops and cash checking places across from Collin Creek Mall-East of 75-K Ave and 15th Street area. Now, I understand that the area must be the poor part of Plano, it is Plano however and I noticed how people tend to make the distinction between West Plano and East Plano. Maybe, it is time to write to the mayor of Plano and separate Plano into East and West, so that you can maintain your upscale status and not worry about the "not so upscale" parts of East Plano.
This attitude really bugs me. I lived in Plano for a long time and I never encountered anybody who acted like they didn't want to associate with "those people", and I lived in the West side. Would Plano better meet your upscale expectations if they rounded up all the low income people and put them and their check cashing joints in isolated camps on the far east side?

There is a lot of wealth in Plano. There is also large population of people who earn a living doing service jobs. I happen to think that it's a good thing that housing is available for most segments of society. That doesn't make Plano a bad place to live and it doesn't make Plano a shanty town.

Also, the wealthiest person I know is nearly a billionaire and she LOVES Wal-Mart. I personally hate their stores and will never shop there, but it isn't because I'm an elitist snob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas