U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM

743 posts, read 1,065,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Merit should trump all else in these situations. My son was recently accepted into a few medical schools. We play these games even then. Ill post more about this after he commits. It's just shocking.
"these situations"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM

7,324 posts, read 8,162,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
"these situations"?
Any school anywhere rigging admissions for racial reasons.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Any school anywhere rigging admissions for racial reasons.
And who said that happens at Dealey? Did you read the thread or just pop a gasket for no reason?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
And who said that happens at Dealey? Did you read the thread or just pop a gasket for no reason?
Don't be obtuse. BTW - I meant to say racial and income reasons.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Don't be obtuse. BTW - I meant to say racial and income reasons.
How else would you suggest testing the merit of 4 year olds? I'm not being obtuse, you are projecting college level admissions practices onto pre-schoolers.

Your kids went to private schools, yes? How were they admitted? They took a test and interviewed. Acing the test was no guarantee at admissions. Same deal. Move on.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
How else would you suggest testing the merit of 4 year olds? I'm not being obtuse, you are projecting college level admissions practices onto pre-schoolers.

Your kids went to private schools, yes? How were they admitted? They took a test and interviewed. Acing the test was no guarantee at admissions. Same deal. Move on.
My kids did and do attend private schools. During preK admissions neither was interviewed it was all based on various tests.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM

36 posts, read 59,543 times
@TX- I wasn't trying to be funny at all. I was giving an example of bull**** people say to make themselves feel clever when they are actually racist tools. Congrats to your fiance. My husband is a doc, too. We have been surprised at the attitudes we see on this issue. Disappointed, more like.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,775,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycastle View Post
@TX- I wasn't trying to be funny at all. I was giving an example of bull**** people say to make themselves feel clever when they are actually racist tools. Congrats to your fiance. My husband is a doc, too. We have been surprised at the attitudes we see on this issue. Disappointed, more like.

Well, based on your various posts, it seems that you can't make up your mind whether to try to get into an elite private school or move out of state. I wish you the best of luck in making a tough decision and finding a place where you and your husband won't be "surprised or disappointed."

Also, issues related to race are complicated. There is no right answer and your opinions are probably based on your family history, personal examples, and race. Certainly an Asian man with negative opinions on affirmative action does not qualify him as "racist tool." Personally, I would refrain from calling people racist tools, or if you are going to call them racist tools, at least have the guts to not delete your message.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM

15 posts, read 26,347 times
Let me jump in the fray since we actually applied this year for Pre-K and were wait listed by Dealey. I called and asked for feedback, here's what they told me.

- Our son got 91 / 100, so he lost 9 points, here's how that broke down:
- 5 points because he could not write his name in lower case; he's been able to write it in upper for over a year and half (he is 4) thanks to a fabulous teacher
- 1 point because his drawing did not have arms and legs (she said it looked like an M&M) - apparently they were asked to draw a person? people? himself? mom & dad? something like that
- 1 point because he probably was distracted at some point
- 2 points because in our interest letter we did not note down his milestones, when he started walking, talking etc.

It may sound arbitrary, but to me doesn't sound that much (conceptually) different from what the privates do. It is hard to distinguish between little 4 year olds so they have to use some metric.

Whether its the Dealey test, or the Medanich language evaluation, or the CATS, there is so much variable here. Parents understanding of what is involved and what they are looking for (we didn't do our preparation at all for Dealey, it sounds like if we had only gone to the orientation we may have known exactly what they were looking for, and even then as other posters have pointed out they would still need to choose from siblings, areas, etc.), whether the child connects with the tester, what the child ate that morning, whether he or she is in a good mood... etc. including ofcourse, sheer smarts and aptitude. Oh, and what about gender! Girls his age are definite more mature and smarter than our son!

Schools have to decide one way or another. Its a tough choice.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM

15 posts, read 26,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eulavoss1104 View Post
... I know a child who got in with an 89 for Pre-K. As it should be, they give kids who score average or slightly above average on the assessment but are in lower income areas and probably minorities the priority because they have very few other good options - 10k per year for private school or moving to Lakewood or Stonewall areas is not something they can just decide to do. If you are middle to upper income and live in a high preforming school area your best chance for getting in is for Pre-K or 1st grade - after that you are pretty much sunk. Sorry!
Agreed, a kid who is a first generation school goer, or if his parents were first generation school/college grads, scoring 89 is probably smarter than my kid (91) who went to great pre-schools and his parents have multiple degrees between them. And ultimately it will be some combination of drive, smarts and "groundedness" that will ensure happiness and success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or